Subframe Won't Come Down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subframe Won't Come Down!

While trying to pull my subframe down, the two bushings started to fall apart on the inside and won't budge. The subframe is hanging on those stuck bushings and won't come down.

I've tried beating it, including the 5/8 bolt trick with no avail. Tonight I took a 1.625" hole saw and tried cutting the rubber, but it seemed to stop at some point. I'm out of ideas.

Any advise?
    Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Everything unbolted like the diff from chassis etc? Sometimes the aluminum sleeve corrodes to the steel chassis. In the case i just melted the rubber bushing out and it came down then I had to beat the sleeve out of the chassis.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
      Everything unbolted like the diff from chassis etc? Sometimes the aluminum sleeve corrodes to the steel chassis. In the case i just melted the rubber bushing out and it came down then I had to beat the sleeve out of the chassis.
      Everything is removed, it's clearly only hanging on the bushings.

The car is in my grandmothers garage next to her new cadillac, so I'd rather not burn the bushings while it's in the garage. Think a red hot screwdriver might do the trick? It would smoke a lot, but it wouldn't be quite as bad.

Comment

Back the caddy out?

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Back the caddy out?
          It's more the factor of burning rubber in a garage that's not mine. It'll probably come down to that, though.

Comment

Say your doing it for science

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Say your doing it for science
              Lol
              sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
              1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
              1991 318is - Sold
              1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

The way I had to get mine out of my IX was to take an 3/8 extension from the top and use an 8lbs sledge hammer with a half swing to just brute force it out. Within a couple hits with that it was free.

Sometimes if it doesn't work you just have to use a bigger hammer.
                89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
                I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Long ass prybar.
                  -Current-
                  90 325i Coupe - Alpinaweiß II
                  -Previous-
                  92 525i 5speed Touring - Diamantschwarz Metallic
                  03 540i Msport 6 Speed - Sterling Grau Metallic

Comment

A hot screwdriver will take forever just get a big ass crowbar from harbor freight or get a blow torch from Lowe’s I promise you it pays for itself with the time you will save an just use the heat shield to block everything you don’t wanna burn👍🏻 Good luck!!

Comment

Stop what you're doing.

Step 1.) Spend 2-3 days looking at it sideways, and making up new cuss words.

Step 2.) Put on your car working clothes, and try to man handle it until you think the car might fall on you. Do this until you think you might die.

Step 3.) By day 4 you'll wish it would and pray that the car might kill you.

Step 4.) Attack it with chemicals. Anything you can spray and is slippery will do.

Step 5.) Call your insurance agent, and ask about your homeowners fire insurance policy. (that thing is RIGHT next to the tank)

Step 6.) Finally man up, and wiggle that thing out like it's a loose tooth at Jurassic Park.
                      Originally posted by Matt-B
                      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Drive a large long bolt into the bushing (the bushing is soft so get a thread size bigger and ugga that thing in) Use that large bolt like a slide hammer and smack the living hell out of it straight down. It will come out trust me
                        1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                        COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

$9 air hammer from harbor freight- does the trick, every time
                          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Trust me guys, a crowbar didn't work! I just put small dents into the area above my subframe!

The first side took 5 days, the second took 5 minutes.

I took a 5/8-11 UNC tap and ran it through the cast aluminum core of the bushing, threaded a long 5/8 bolt into it, then used a 3 pound hammer to whack it free.

Hitting it downwards through the subframe bolt hole did NOT work!

And yes, the underside of my car is all muddy and nasty. This subframe is getting reinforced, painted, new brake lines installed, new bushings, stainless braided brake lines, and the body is getting undercoated black. The trailing arm and body hard brake lines are also getting replaced with Nicopp nickel/copper line.

It's out, and here are some pics I took after to show how I did it.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Comment

That's nuts. I just dropped mine and it came right out. California car tho.
                              -Current-
                              90 325i Coupe - Alpinaweiß II
                              -Previous-
                              92 525i 5speed Touring - Diamantschwarz Metallic
                              03 540i Msport 6 Speed - Sterling Grau Metallic

Comment

Working...
                              X