Treehousing Racing CAB replacements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UNHCLL
    get rid of the aluminum ones and get steel ones. in reality, you arent utilizing the aluminum ones anyways besides being able to say you have them.
    'tis true. but i liked the bling.

Rob,.....it's hard to explain, but basically I can get the tire to rotate....or the front of the wheel to move outward......effectively changing toe.

Comment

I understand clearly, just trying to figure out how that is a result of control arm bushings
      BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
        I understand clearly, just trying to figure out how that is a result of control arm bushings
        Same here

07 335xi Sport
        00 S2k
        01 A4 1.8t-Sold
        88 M3-Sold
        91 325iC-Totaled
        89 325iS - Sold
        87 325-Totaled

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
          I figured since I didn't see any adnormal movement in any pieces except for the control arm bushings, that they were the reason for that.

How was I to know side-to-side movement indicated ball joints and front-to-rear movement indicated CABs?

Comment

When we spoke on AIM Robert, I was under the impression you had worn out rubber CAB.

A urethane one is definately not going to create an issue.

Rack around on your control arms a bit, and watch the ball joints for excessive play.

Are you sure your inner/outer tierods are good? Take the accordian boots off and observe the inner tie rod ball joint cup for slop.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
            https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

How much clearance do you gain with these? Right now I am running a hand made exhaust but I might want to look into a tuned setup down the road and I would most likely run a track pipe for a regular S50. Maybe these would give me more room.

Plus I have rubber ones now and these might go well with the aluminum CAs when I rebuild the front subframe with the steering rack replacement.
              Im now E30less.
              sigpic

Comment

I dont understand the facination with Al control arms????

They fatigue faster, they cost 4x as much PER ARM, and they dont give you any benefit.
                Unless you are a hardcore track junkie with a sub 2200lb car they are pointless. And if you've got a sub 2200lb car, chances are you'll be running Group A links anyways.

I just see the Al arms as a big waste of $$ for most people.
                Below the radar...

Comment

M3 parts= the Type R parts of the BMW scene, everybody wants some
                  BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                    M3 parts= the Type R parts of the BMW scene, everybody wants some
                    Hell fucking yeah. That is for those of us that arent the sterotypical cheap E30 owners. I guess instead of an M engine I should have gotten something else so I wouldnt be a ricer.

And at my dealer they are only about 2x as much. :D
                    Im now E30less.
                    sigpic

Comment

Ryan, admit it.....you just like Aluminum because the first two letters are the same as Alpina...... ;)

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL
                        I dont understand the facination with Al control arms????

They fatigue faster, they cost 4x as much PER ARM, and they dont give you any benefit.
                        Unless you are a hardcore track junkie with a sub 2200lb car they are pointless. And if you've got a sub 2200lb car, chances are you'll be running Group A links anyways.

I just see the Al arms as a big waste of $$ for most people.
                        Right on, I don't understand the big flap about the alloy arms. The ball-joints are slightly beefier, and are supposed to have an extended life over the BJ's (:D) on the steel arms. However, if you are running stiff springs/shocks and have an aggressive driving style, you'll be wearing them out quicker than BMW's recommended time of replacement.

For the extra 3 or so pounds per side, I'll stick to trusty $70 steel arms. But, if ///M parts are crucial and you're track-junky style--spend the $190 a pop.

My $.02

Comment

Right on Stu, you know what I'm saying. Hey maybe we can start drilling out our Steel CA's to save even more weight!!!!! ;)

Edited to preserve value of thread. ~ CL
                          Below the radar...

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart
                            How much clearance do you gain with these? Right now I am running a hand made exhaust but I might want to look into a tuned setup down the road and I would most likely run a track pipe for a regular S50. Maybe these would give me more room.

Plus I have rubber ones now and these might go well with the aluminum CAs when I rebuild the front subframe with the steering rack replacement.
                            I can take a picture of the clearance between the downpipe and the CAB. I do have custom downpipes, but they are pretty similar to the e36 ones.
                            '91 318is
                            sigpic

Comment

Thats the clearance with a stock m20.
                              The CAB's will give you almost 2" inches more clearance.
                              With the Treehouse CAB's, you can run Euro Headers, Supersprint, or stock s/m50 headers and exhaust.

NASA MidSouth TT Director / GTS2 #018
                              Mods: Coastal PS Fluid, 10w40 Oil
                              Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

Comment

Ill look into it. Like I said I plan on rebuilding the whole front soon and the more simple mount with a lifetime warranty is appealing. That way I dont have to worry about them when I change my aluminum control arms every few years.

And unchll or whatever. Maybe I should take pics of my roommates for you. The kickass thing is now Craig is going to let me have his garage slot for covering the Eta so I can buy a beater to drive around (because he knows I will let him drive the beater too).
                                Im now E30less.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X