No announcement yet.

Mini BBK is done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do the VW rotors sit farther back from the wheel then the stock rotors? Currently I only have 1.57" clearence between the stock rotor and the Ronal LS in 15".

Wilwood states that the FBD is 1.71". I am pretty sure that there is room to move the rotor back. Tonight I am going to take a wheel off and see how much farther I can move the rotor back.

Staying the 15" wheels would be nice.

Comment

I have just finished up modeling the e30 brake package with the ronal LS wheel.

I still have to check my math and measurements, but it looks like we can fit

a 12.72" rotor wilwood P# 160-2540/1 (GT Rotor)
      Using an undrilled hat: P# 230-8390 (GT Fixed mount)
      And the Billet NDL Caliper. We have five choices of caliper bore, either 2" 1.75" or 1.38" 1.12" and 1.00"
      Caliper Link: http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-...BNDL/index.asp

This package would give very little clearance. If there is much deflection in the hub of wheel, there may be interference.

I will finish up modeling and checking the parts tomorrow I imagine.

Comment

what about a front and rear setup? doesn't this change the balance of the brakes?
        '87 alpine white 325is

Comment

Here is a screen shot from NX

The yellow rotor is 12.2" it can be compared to the stock one in blue.

One again the wheel is Ronal LS.

The package is tight, but looks like a posibility, Tomorrow I am going to contact Ronal to see if I can get a print of the LS, I am tired or reverse engineering this thing.

Comment

Originally posted by var1ant
            what about a front and rear setup? doesn't this change the balance of the brakes?
            Simply buy a Wilwood caliper with the same total surface area of the pistons as a stock e30 caliper and you will retain the same brake bias. Or, opt for an adjustable brake bias valve.
            87 325IS - Delphin Grey/Cardinal

Comment

Okay guys, sorry it took so long. Forgive the quality, I had to use MS paint. lol

Aww, that is effing gay. Can someone host a fullsize pic for me? Photobucket is feeling stingy...
              Last edited by 2002maniac; 07-06-2006, 05:29 PM.

Comment

dude just save it as a low color density jpeg, you should be able to get pretty big and stay under the 100k threshold, think you're allowed up to 1024x768 on the forum attachment tool

Comment

So I'm pretty excited about this, and I'm anxious to see a big diagram and a how-to. I've also been reading all the other attempts at this and had a couple questions.

This seems the most reasonable as far as price goes. Your calipers look nice and small.

Question: Part #'s on all of the shelf items please
                  Question: How easy / expensive is it for someone without access or skills to have a machine shop make the brackets and open up the centerbore of the rotors?
                  Question: Some of the fancier BBK kits have rotors attached to a hat. That seems more ideal since you can machine the hat to fit, and then replace the rotors without any further machine work. Is this route practical with your assembly, and would it be much more expensive long term?

I like this idea, I am down with <400$ upgrade from rusty girling calipers, and even though pretty I have no use for a 2800$ KVR kit:

Comment

Updated with a big drawing.

Also. The Bias is kind of screwed up since even the small dynalites with 1.375" pistons are much bigger than the stock caliper. I am going to try a 25mm Master cyl along with a bias adjuster to see if I can get the pedal a little bit stiffer.

Comment

Yep a Bias valve is a must. At first when I threw my 4-pistons on up front with the 25mm MC the front's would lock up way before the rear. Now I've got 280mm disks in the rear and larger calipers, and was actualy able to get the right rear to lock up first under some hard breaking. Luckily just a few turns of the knob and the bias was back to where it should be
                      85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Thank you. I have been long awaiting this update!!

Comment

Awesome thanks Man!!

can you confirm that "535 615 301" is the PN for the brake disc?
                          Last edited by lordofmpower; 07-24-2006, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofmpower
                            Awesome thanks Man!!

can you confirm that "535 615 301" is the PN for the brake disc?
                            Beats me :p

4-lug VW corrado rotor is what you're looking for.

Comment

wilwood offer a same size disc....280mm which i THINK is 11'?

use an adaptor they supply and machine it to fit and bolt it all up, then you just need an adaptor like the one above for the dynalites.

friend using this on his race car..will be interested to see how it goes
                              JUNGL3

1990 "333i" Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Gus
                                wilwood offer a same size disc....280mm which i THINK is 11'?
                                This is true, but why buy expensive hats and replacement rotors when the VW rotors can be had for $35 each?

Cheap rotors FTW!

Comment

Working...
                                X