Another rear subframe thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another rear subframe thread.

I am at that critical point right now of my rear subframe removal. I have gotten every thing out and took out the 22mm nut holding the bushings in place. My questions are: Do these bolts need to come out? If they do, how? Also there looks to be a washer on the top of the bushing, touching the bottom of the body where the posts go through. The washer is part of the pin that goes through the body so this should come out also? I have been pounding on the pins from the top with the rear seat out with a 14mm socket and a hammer. Looks to be doing something, but not that great. Am I doing this right or is there something that I should be doing differently? Maybe a bigger hammer? I am using a dead blow right now.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by cabriodster87
    "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
    Originally posted by Kershaw
    i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

I can help!

I did this one not too long ago.

The long bolts, tap them from under the car. They are removed from the inside seat side. There is a little foam insulation plug that sits on top of the bolt. You can see it as you look into the bolt hole. The bolts are splined so do not try to screw them out.

Comment

Also!

Do not forget to put the washers back in like I did. Had to take the sub frame back out. If you are really lucky the bushing will come out in one piece. If not then the top portion of the metal "sleeve" that fits into the frame could be corroded. This will cause the bushing or part of it to stick. In that case use PB blaster and rubber mallet and tap it. If you break the metal sleeve top portion off inside the frame, life will suck. But then you get a pneumatic saw (Snap-On) score the metal and tap it out with a chisel. I have pics somewhere so if you have a prob I will look or just PM me with any questions.
      Last edited by FL318is; 11-27-2006, 01:31 PM.

Comment

visual

go to realoem

Comment

Ok, so the top of the bolt sits under that hard foam/tar stuff? It looks like the bolt should be right through the pins no?

Thanks for the help.
          "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."

Comment

what he said

Comment

I have seen pics of people leaving the long bolt that held the 22mm nut on. I realy don't see why this bolt need to come out.

Comment

Ok, after some more reading, the bolt seems like it does indeed have to come out. Is the top of the bolt under the tar stuff under the rear seat, or is it the two little silver caps I see next to the subframe stud hols in the body?

Thanks.

Comment

just remove the rear seat and smack the bolts straight up.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002maniac View Post
                    just remove the rear seat and smack the bolts straight up.
                    They won't come out. Just wack the fuck out of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike325 View Post
                      They won't come out. Just wack the fuck out of them?
                      I whacked the fuck out of them and they came out. Now the sleaves in the body are the problem. They go down right? They have to, but just to make 100% sure.

Thanks.

Comment

Would an air hammer work best for getting the studs out of the body?

Thanks.

Comment

i used a pry from within the wheel well and between the body and subframe. (try to use some form of sheet metal or thin board to spread the force of the leverage points because the car's metal will deform)
                          while applying force, jerk the subframe fore and back. this should get the metal tube the bolt went through out of the mount point which is a cup.

mine had broken off and had to drill, then chisell it out.

Comment

Hm, I didn't remove the studs from the subframe during my installation. What's the reason for removing those bolts? I was able to get the subframe in and out without any problems.
                            Mike

www.purems.com |Temecula, CA | 866-397-5487

Comment

they dont have to come out but it makes it easier for bushings that are stuck inside the body. now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

mike325, youll have a fun time getting them out of the subframe.

Comment

Working...
                              X