Thoughts on the new C8 corvette?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on the new C8 corvette?

Tonight was the announcement of the new C8 vette.

Engine specs have me most interested. LT2 motor, 496HP, dry dumped, dual clutch and according to GM a sub 3 second 0-60.

All for less than 60k base.

91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
    Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
    E30 can make you, E30 can break you
    "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Who cares. Too little, too late. The performance will be a joke compared to electric cars within the next 5 years. Oh wait, it already is...
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I like Corvettes, well 1996 and back that is. But you could always tell a Corvette was a Corvette. This just looks like a Ferrari. And only 495hp?

1992 BMW 325iC
      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

I like it, but to get one means I'll have to sell my 318is. Not happening....

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
          I like Corvettes, well 1996 and back that is. But you could always tell a Corvette was a Corvette. This just looks like a Ferrari. And only 495hp?
          Right?

The original Vette had the best technology in the world at the time (fuel injection, composite chassis, I could go on). The new one just copies what the Germans and Italians were doing 30 years ago. Yay?
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post

Yep this looks like a modified 360, and 500hp is plenty as we all know. Would be nice if the HP chasing stopped.

Comment

Isn't the 495hp rating for the ~$60k base model?
              Originally posted by kronus
              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                Isn't the 495hp rating for the ~$60k base model?

Yes, for now, no addtl info on other trim levels has been released thus far, but I'd expect 750ish in top trim, and I do suspect that there is an other than exclusively petrol powered trim in the works.

Comment

Incredible performance value if it delivers.
                  1991 318iC
                  1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Wow, bunch of negative Nancies in this thread.

Looks decent to me in the pictures, to my eye better than the C7. It definitely has some Corvette styling cues, and looks better than a lot of the horribly busy designs manufacturers have been crapping out lately. I just wonder how much it weighs. 495hp base model mid engine sports car for $60,000 is good stuff, but weight will tell how good that stuff is. For some reason I doubt it will be lighter than the C7, and I still have my heart set on a nice 6MT C6 Z06.

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    [CoTM: 4-18]
                    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                    - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      Who cares. Too little, too late. The performance will be a joke compared to electric cars within the next 5 years. Oh wait, it already is...
                      Electric cars are boring though, and raw performance numbers aren't everything. I'm confident it'll sell like hot cakes. Under $60k and 500HP for a BASE model mid engined sports car? Yeah, it's gonna sell just fine. And I don't think anything with 500HP can be a 'joke', esp considering they claim it does 0-60 in UNDER three seconds. Even if an electric car can do better than that, I'd still rather have the vette any day of the week.

Originally posted by varg View Post
                      Wow, bunch of negative Nancies in this thread.
                      For real.

It's not a bad looking car, although I can't help but think it looks an awful lot like a Ferrari 430 and a C7 mashed together.

Comment

Looks like all the super cars had an orgy but i kinda like it. This is going to be sick as long as it delivers, which it will.
                        "I came into this world, not chiefly to make this a good place to live in, but to live in it, be it good or bad" -Henry Thoreau-
                        1991 318is - the cruiser
                        1989 325i - the rats nest

Comment

Nice

I thought it would be worth more. I look at the price of the 2019 NSX (starts at $157k) and think, that's crazy.

Comment

Would probably never buy it. But I do like the effort. Mid Engine correct?
                            OO=[][]=OO
                            @speeedshop
                            @mradams

Comment

I’ve heard the engine is so low that the valve covers are below the tops of the wheels, not tires, but wheels. That’s pretty cool.

That being said, I don’t really understand why they kept it a Corvette. Seems like it should be a new model but [emoji2369]

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                              Transaction feedback
                              - jpod999

Comment

Working...
                              X