Engine/trans Mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine/trans Mounts

Quick question, I need to replace the mounts in my car due to a significant amount of clunk (already changed guibo and CSB) and trying to determine what mounts to buy. I've already determined close to OEM is what i'd like since i daily the car, with plans to track/autox occasionally

Option 1: cheap OEMish parts from rockauto - Pioneer branded - $84

Option 2: OEM from FCPeuro (for warranty) - $215ish

Option 3: OEM+ hardness from revshift - $165

Option 4: find m30 mount (seems hard to find in a brief search around)

I'm leaning towards the revshift mounts but unsure if itll rattle my teeth out even at the claimed oem-ish hardness. if the cheap option is more than sufficient then id just do that but would like to be able to pull track/autox duty if needed. Thoughts?

Garagistic has a kit with oem mounts from other cars that are stronger than stock.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

My understanding is it's a mistake to go cheap on the M42 Motor mounts.

I replaced mine and ended up going with the BMW motor mounts - and the Condor Poly Trans Mounts.

Comment

Don't buy the RA ones, they're liable to send you 318ti mounts. I'd go stock to minimize NVH, which probably will last 10 years, but the revshift may also be a good option.

Comment

Bimmerworld also has a performance/track oriented rubber engine mount at $200.

Comment

People use E28 535i mounts (the green ones), they are OEM+, sounds like what you're looking for.

They are plug and play, you just have to grind off the locking tab since it's on the wrong side.
            1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Buy the OEM engine mounts, if you want a slightly beefier trans mount buy e21 rubber mounts.

Comment

I got the OEM motor mounts and Condor poly transmission mounts installed yesterday. They feel great, but the transmission mounts are a bit more firm than I like and it's transmitting a good amount of vibration into the cabin.

I've ordered some rubber (black) UUC transmission mounts - mostly because I discarded the hardware (nuts and washers) and they come with all that - if those are too firm I will get the stock ones - if those don't work... then I've done something wrong.

Comment

keep us updated

Comment

I installed some UUC Rubber transmission mounts - and it's all good again. It really quieted the whole thing down.

My opinion is the Condor Poly mounts are too firm for the street - but it could improve (maybe) if they were paired with stiffer (not stock) motor mounts - although I doubt it.

Comment

Ordered a set of motor/trans mount 80a from revshift. Will post update once I have my clutch/transmission sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by iPee View Post
                        Ordered a set of motor/trans mount 80a from revshift. Will post update once I have my clutch/transmission sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        thanks, if they work out thats probably what ill go with

Comment

Keep in mind poly trans/motor mounts will stress the chassis more.

IMO suspension can be all poly/heim, doesn't matter. Poly motor/trans mounts however are too harsh for the street.

I'd go either OEM rubber or E28 535i. There is a long thread on m42club.com of people using them.
                          1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

I use 535i mounts along with e21 trans mounts for my dual purpose m42 car. The front subframe has the reinforcements welded in as well.

I'd say there is 15% more vibrations over a stock setup, but I also have no problems driving the car on the street and have no issues with miss-shifts with a solid tunnel mounted shifter due to drivetrain shift during hard driving.

Hope that helps!

-NICK

Comment

Cool thanks, will keep that in mind if the poly is too harsh. I have my sub frame reinforced as well so hopefully that helps a bit. I didn't have any trouble with mis-shifts on the original trans mounts but it did make it more difficult to get it in gear I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                              X