Logistics of replacing diff and transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logistics of replacing diff and transmission

So, I have a roller car that I plan to take the diff and transmission out of and put into my regular car.

I'm trying to pre-plan the logistics of doing this, with respect to raising the cars and storing the cars.

As far as raising the cars... Since removing the diff will disengage the drivetrain and parking brake, I assume I will have to raise the cars on jack stands, not ramps? Could I use ramps on the front and jack stands on the back?

As far as storing the cars... Once the diff is removed, I understand the parking brake won't work? So I guess this means I'll only be able to rely on chocks to keep it from moving? That makes me just a little nervous as I have to store the roller in my yard on a slight grade until the scrapper comes to get it.
    current:
    89 325i

previous:
    87 325i
    86 325 stroker frankenstein

Do you really mean the diff or the complete rear subframe ?

If it's just the diff, the parking brake works on the rear hubs so that isn't a problem. If you were just dropping the diff you could just put the rear up on ramps and drop the diff out.

But you'll need the front end raised to get the drive shaft and tranny out.

The rear axle shafts will be flopping around the rear end though, get 3 feet of 4" PVC plumbing pipe and slide it over the inner end of the axle shafts and wire the PVC pipe up to the diff carrier with a couple of wire coathangers, that'll keep them out of the way.

Comment

Just the diff.

Once I remove the diff, wouldn't that cause the rear wheels bow inwards? Because aren't they 'stood up' by being connected through the diff? If so, I couldn't use ramps once the diff is disconnected, right?

That's a great idea about the PVC pipe. Already bought some stiff wire but didn't think about the pipe part. Thanks!
      Last edited by krazy; 10-14-2017, 01:44 PM.
      current:
      89 325i

previous:
      87 325i

Comment

Nope, the wheels won't bow inwards they are held in place by the hubs, axle shaft ends and bearings. The axle shafts don't provide hub support like Jaguar IRS systems.

This is of course provided you don't remove the axle shafts, the hubs need the axle shaft outer end to hold the trailing arm, bearing and hub together.

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks for the info!
          current:
          89 325i

previous:
          87 325i

Comment

Working...
          X