No announcement yet.

Building a e30 for the 24 hours of Lemons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we got a ford focus coil over kit off ebay for $40. it has adjustable perches and the narrower springs. A guy in a local club has aready used this set up on a street car.

I am hoping the spring rate is Ok. if not we can swap out the spring for HD ones ( it looks like s set of e34 rears will fit) . But the narrower spring should let us slot the towers and get some camber.

NOTE: I just pulled apart a set of front struts.. Well the inserts out of the front suspension tubes. They go All the way to the bottom So I dont know how good an idea of Bending them will be, Since you would also be bending the Strut itself.
    So it looks like the upper mounts- slotting is the answer?

We should have the car drivable in 2 weeks and take it to an autox to test suspension and how the car turns.

As far as Cages go We found a lical shop that custom bend us the cage and pre cut and notched it for $300.
    It did still need some trimming and more notching. But we were able to get it in and done in 7 hours.
    Last edited by bam2002; 03-04-2008, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LTDScott View Post

We tried slotting the strut towers and... well we required some welding, and were not able to slot it much. Bending the strut housing is an option.
      Heh :)

I'm curious to put it on an alignment rack and see what we gained. They're in about 1/4" from stock, which should equate to a pretty decent amount.

Comment

Originally posted by bam2002 View Post
        NOTE: I just pulled apart a set of front struts.. Well the inserts out of the front suspension tubes. They go All the way to the bottom So I dont know how good an idea of Bending them will be, Since you would also be bending the Strut itself.
        *shrug* I dunno, but it has been done before....

I am finally getting down to writing my review of our Lemons experience – this first post will be about Saturday setup while following posts will be about things like on-track action, mechani…
        The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Comment

Yep I saw that. THen call around to alignment places to see if any one had that tool. No luck.. we will be slotting the tops of the towers and putting in the narrower springs within the next week. ill post photos when its done.

B

Comment

A local alignment place here does have the tool, but the cost to get the struts bent is the same as buying some fixed additional camber strut plates!

Oh, and we got accepted into the May race! 142 entrants for about 85 open positions.

Comment

Subscribed...

We looked at doing a LeMons build with an E30 but couldn't get the numbers to work... the "$500" budget would turn into $2000 after brakes/safety, plus boatloads of hours, yet the event guarantees 100% destruction of the car. Just didn't seem worth the effort... but I still salute you guys that build these things!
              Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
              Project Thread for the now-burned-to-a-crisp $2011 GRM Challenge Winning E30 V8 :(

Comment

Fair, go check out the last race at Thunderhill. The cars were barely damaged. They changed the rules. No more Nerfbars. They blackflagged agressive drivers. It was like a real race.
                We figure the car will be good for a few Lemmons races. And some AutoX or track days in between. Yea it wont be pretty but it will work.

We installed our suspension today. Talk about a frankenstein set up. ( on the front) We used the $40 Ebay Focus pearches, with some springs from a Nissan and machined some aluim for the top mounts. Worked out really well. On the rear we used the foucus kit with a Adjusted BMW front strut plate and some cutting. SO now we have about 2 to 3 inches of height adjustment on the car. All for about $50 in parts.,

We also slotted the tops of the front of the towers. With the smaller springs we have plenty of room. Ill have to do some measurements to see how many Deg we get.

B

Comment

Originally posted by Fair! View Post
                  Subscribed...

We looked at doing a LeMons build with an E30 but couldn't get the numbers to work... the "$500" budget would turn into $2000 after brakes/safety, plus boatloads of hours, yet the event guarantees 100% destruction of the car. Just didn't seem worth the effort... but I still salute you guys that build these things!
                  No way dude. Last year I was on the Saabs Gone Wild team, and they ran the same car (well at least one of them) in three different races. The hood, bumpers, and a door needed to be replaced, but mechanically and structurally it survived just fine. And unless you drive like a douchebag or have a ridiculously overpriced car, the chances of being picked as the "peoples' curse" is very slim.

We're hoping that our car will survive to race again another day. We were hoping to enter the Vegas race in June, but it has been cancelled, so we'll probably have to store the car until the next west coast race in December.

Comment

Regarding the slotted strut towers: We haven't made any measurements yet, but we gained a pretty significant amount of camber.

Comment

new picts

Front adj is at its highest. So we can lower that. Rear needs some work,

Last edited by bam2002; 03-12-2008, 09:29 AM.

Comment

No pics showing up....

Comment

Rear end looks scary.

Comment

Originally posted by speedblind View Post
                            Rear end looks scary.
                            I kind of feel the same way. Are you guys planning to weld in that bottom spring perch? It just looks.... not quite right to me.

Comment

Huh, can only view the pics with IE, not Firefox.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the spring arrangement there either.

Comment

Here's the pic if people are having trouble viewing it.

Comment

Working...
                                X