Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getrag 260 interchange and information... good info!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking at realoem and pelicanparts.com, it seems like the early eta's use single mass flywheels (like the 325i) but has the aluminum plate style shifter. the later eta's from 5/86 on have the dual mass flywheel but does have the later shift style shift arm.

also for anyone with an "i" car, you can use your 'bent' style shift arm and linkage with the late eta transmission. it lines up perfect.
    Last edited by jw 325ic; 07-15-2011, 05:13 PM.

Comment

so just to clarify, you can't use a late model i trans on an eta due to the lack of a cast boss for the crank positioning sensor. right? or wrong? i did some searching and i haven’t come up with a definitive answer. i am assuming that you cant just drill holes in the i trans for the sensors, and that you need the cast boss? right?
      sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

Originally posted by pantelones View Post
        so just to clarify, you can't use a late model i trans on an eta due to the lack of a cast boss for the crank positioning sensor. right? or wrong? i did some searching and i haven’t come up with a definitive answer. i am assuming that you cant just drill holes in the i trans for the sensors, and that you need the cast boss? right?

Correct.

Drilling those huge holes as the exact correct location, and then the accompanying bolt hole, then tapping that hole for the bolt, would all be WAY more hassle then just picking up an eta trans, which you should be able to find cheap.

Not to mention you'd then need to use later style shifter setup, and also you'd then have the deeper bellhousing depth for clutch components. I'd rather convert then engine to an m20b25 to work with that trans, then convert the trans to work with an m20b27!
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
          Correct.

Drilling those huge holes as the exact correct location, and then the accompanying bolt hole, then tapping that hole for the bolt, would all be WAY more hassle then just picking up an eta trans, which you should be able to find cheap.

Not to mention you'd then need to use later style shifter setup, and also you'd then have the deeper bellhousing depth for clutch components. I'd rather convert then engine to an m20b25 to work with that trans, then convert the trans to work with an m20b27!
          Actually the bell housing depth of i cars and early etas are the same as they both have single mass flywheels. The later etas have twin mass. You can use an early eta trans on an i with plugs and the shifter adapter but not the other way around. See my trans thread on pg 2. I used some of your info but made corrections.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
            Correct.

thank you
            sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

Originally posted by jw 325ic View Post
              Actually the bell housing depth of i cars and early etas are the same as they both have single mass flywheels. The later etas have twin mass. You can use an early eta trans on an i with plugs and the shifter adapter but not the other way around. See my trans thread on pg 2. I used some of your info but made corrections.
              I'm not sure how I missed that. I even have an early eta trans with m20b25 clutch/flywheel parts on my m50 car. It does have the mounting ears for the late style shifter though, as that's what I'm using.
              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
              e30 restoration and V8 swap
              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Actually the bell housing depth of i cars and early etas are the same as they both have single mass flywheels.
                errr..... might be good to confirm this,
                as I have a dual- mass eta transmission with the same- depth bell as the i/is single mass...

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Very good info here.

Also, I assume that M20 powered E28s are exactly the same as the respective E30 as far as the transmission? Other than the G265 of course...

Comment

Check my thread, it's "based" on this one with more info that's more accurate: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=215361

Comment

thanks man, good info!

Comment

I just installed a late ETA transmission into my S50 swap. It had the deep bellhousing. Rather than getting the thicker throwout bearing, I machined a .2" thick aluminum plate that fit over the back of the throwout bearing, effectively moving the throwout bearing forward to compensate for the deeper bellhousing. Really wished I took a photo of it but it is buried in the car right now. The car is still a few days away from running so I haven't tested it fully but the clutch seems to release at the correct point when my son spun the rear wheel and I let out the clutch.

I'm lucky in that I have access to a machine shop where I work, otherwise, I would have gone with the fatter bearing.
                        sigpic'87 325is, S50, Lightened Flywheel, Ground Control suspension, Strut Tower Braces, Roll Bar, Five point Harness, lots of little go fast things.

Comment

I just picked up transmission for my 'early eta' and it turned out to be an 'i' trans.
                          So, my question is, do I need the second cps on the bellhousing, or should I just wait to do a head/ecu/engine harness? swap to put in the transmission?
                          Also, what shifter linkage and flywheel should I use?
                          '87 325e 2.7i/5spd
                          '02 Subaru outback (Still smells like dirty hippie)
                          '86 635csi (Sold)
                          '87 4KcsQT (Sold)
                          '84 318i (Sold)

Comment

My question guys is i have an 86 96mm output flange getrag and its been hard as hell to find a driveshaft thatll fit so will anyother driveshafts work? And how would i get them to worl?

Comment

Originally posted by jw 325ic View Post
                              Early eta had deep bellhousing and THICK single mass flywheel- like 4" thicker than the 325i flywheel.

Late ETA (like my 04/87 build) had dual mass flywheel yes. It did NOT have deep bellhousing, it was identical bellhousing as late 04/1989 325i bellhousing. Directly swapped a M20 325i thin flywheel and single mass clutch set; Throw out bearing kept same.

Bmw has merged Throw out bearing parts between e30 325i and e36; Ordered both of them new in clutch sets and it was hilarious to find out. (recently did 24v swap in race car)

the 87 325e ETA dual mass flywheel+clutch stack is = stack height as 325i.
                              The entire shifter assembly (carrier+selector rod) directly interchanged, 1987+ eta has aluminum shift carrier.
                              OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Bmwlif3style View Post
                                My question guys is i have an 86 96mm output flange getrag and its been hard as hell to find a driveshaft thatll fit so will anyother driveshafts work? And how would i get them to worl?
                                Anyone???

Comment

Working...
                                X