No announcement yet.

getrag 260 housing cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious about this, only because I saw the thread and I'm about to replace that seal.

Comment

I'm waiting to see if anyone pipes in saying "oh I should have replaced my guide" or that its even occurred to them...until zaq came along and the earth tilted on its axis :)
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
        I'm waiting to see if anyone pipes in saying "oh I should have replaced my guide" or that its even occurred to them...until zaq came along and the earth tilted on its axis :)
        :)

you know where this is coming from...we have all been there:
        If I'm gonna do it, I might as well do it the best I can. Why leaving 30 y.o part in there that is know to cause issues at some point.

some info https://www.zf.com/brands/en_de/sach...se_system.html
        Last edited by zaq123; 08-21-2017, 05:45 PM.

Comment

hmm interesting. In all my years playing with clutches it has never ever occurred to me that that tube thing would need replacing. If wear marks are present, i would be inclined to hit it with some emery paper, put a small amount of grease on it and call it a day....

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
            put a small amount of grease on it and call it a day....
            BMW TIS states specifically NOT to grease the sleeve....

Comment

Ok...input shaft axial play checks out, 0.0015 of alowable maximum-0.0035".

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Comment

Realoem specifies only 3 shim sizes, 0.3mm, 0.4 and 0.5mm. 2shims per input shaft assembly. Both of my shims are appear to be 0.3mm but one, on the bearing side has this weird wear....almost like machined. Wear matches perfectly with outer bearing race....bearing race sitting solid in the case and has no signs of movement. Bearing looks good. Wouldn't outer race had to be spinning to cause this damage to the spacer ? Anyone seen this before? Thoughts?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
                  :)

you know where this is coming from...we have all been there:
                  If I'm gonna do it, I might as well do it the best I can. Why leaving 30 y.o part in there that is know to cause issues at some point.

some info https://www.zf.com/brands/en_de/sach...se_system.html
                  We get where you are coming from but there's sometimes a lag between the "book" and reality. Absent anyone saying this has ever been an issue, I see a solution looking for a problem.
                  Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                  Alice the Time Capsule
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                  87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

We get where you are coming from but there's sometimes a lag between the "book" and reality. Absent anyone saying this has ever been an issue, I see a solution looking for a problem.
                    I guess I am a book kind of guy when it come to certain things;) guilty....

Good to know that every enjoys happy shifting, smooth and quiet working G260. G260 is new to me, my E30 was always auto. I only worked on AX15 and NSG370s mostly... So when you, Metric Mechanic's etc rebuild these, you guys just leave these guides as is, even if they are all worn and gouged? I have only seen one BMW remanuf. trans at the dealer and this TB guide looked like a brand new part...
                    p.s. Any input on posts 21 and 22 above? Am I reading Bentley book too much? I by no means Getrag expert so any feedback from the resident expert is appreciated. You mentioned you haven't ever touched those shims when doing seals. These clearances do not matter?...another book BS and reality shows that very loose clearances on G260s have no impact on their operation whatsoever?
                    Last edited by zaq123; 08-22-2017, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Maybe do an OD polish and have a plater add back somechrome? That's how it's done in industrial situations.

Comment

A. guide and its coating is a wear item as the bearing slides on it dry.

per Sachs:
                        If the bearing points of the guide sleeve, the release fork, or the release shaft are worn, this compromises the clutch's ease of movement – the worst case scenario is a total clutch failure.

B. Guide on my transmission is worn and no longer round.
                        Sounds like an extreme non-issue to me. Assume a throw out load of 300 lbs and calculate the lateral force on the guide. Then calculate the frictional force acting on the TOB... I'll wait.

If you're *that* worried about it, send your old one to a coating shop and have a moly disulfide coating applied.

BMW TIS states specifically NOT to grease the sleeve....
                        Right. Don't grease it. The grease will collect clutch dust, then turn into muddy glue that WILL interfere with throw out mechanism operation.

Wouldn't outer race had to be spinning to cause this damage to the spacer ?
                        Why would it spin when the bearing turns freely?
                        If the bearing seized and spun the race, the case would gall right quick and you'd end up with steel and aluminum chips all over your transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post

Why would it spin when the bearing turns freely?
                          If the bearing seized and spun the race, the case would gall right quick and you'd end up with steel and aluminum chips all over your transmission.
                          exactly...but that wear on te spacer puzzles me (pic)

Comment

That e36 piece sure looks the same as what you have. Curious to see how this works out.
                            Follow up: e36 piece isn't the same as e30 pre '88 Getrag 260. e36 one is slightly shorter and its flange diameter is smaller by about 1mm. Bolt patter/circle is the same.
                            It will bolt up but 1mm in flange difference is enough to misalign the guide.

30 day return policy is surely nice

Comment

I have the same tube! Did you try that one piece and did it work?

Comment

Working...
                              X