Z3M Trailing arm Geometry (Different?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z3M Trailing arm Geometry (Different?)

Are Z3M Trailing arm Geometry the same as normal E30?

I have a set on my car and out of the box they have 1* of toe out per side.
    About 1/4 inch of toe out total in a factory subfame.

I have redone a subframe using POSILOK adjuster vs eccentrics for more adjustability. With toe in MAXED, I am at almost zero toe.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by moatilliatta; 08-23-2018, 01:15 PM.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

I’d question the subframe, and the straightness of the arms, the pic up points are supposed to be the same iirc. Sorry not much help, but some thoughts if nothing else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ...what hasn’t been done to an m20 yet?

m20 Oil Stencil

Comment

I swapped subframes. No real change.

Both arms have quite similar toe. Odd that they would be equally bent.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

I installed a pair of z3m trailing arms and had similar toe issues. I chalked it up to the arms being from a theft recovery car.

Maybe they are slightly different due to the (small) width difference between the subframes?

I ended up welding in the adjustment plates and IIRC had to make the slots larger to get full articulation and back into spec. They also loosen so I recommend tack welding them once set.

Comment

Being that both Z3M trailing arms were about identical out, it led me hard to believe that they were NOT damaged.

I used the serrated style adjusters from IE. I've got tired of worrying about it and hopefully this is a new solution to loose trailing arm adjusters.

They've been modified with Grade 8 1/2 Bolts, bevel washers, and a nut welded instead of the serrated end tapped/ threaded.

I couldn't find Metric hardware to work properly, Fits the sleeves of most bushings better also.

TC01 Subframe Rear by Zachary Ketring, on Flickr

Last edited by moatilliatta; 10-21-2018, 05:23 AM.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

That looks quite beefy. I must have had an older smooth set, the serrated ones weren't on my radar.

I made some sharpie marks on the adjusters as well for a quick visual check that nothing had moved. They haven't moved after years of track use, so hopefully you will have it made in the shade.

Comment

Bump

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Lets see those Z3M arm alignments fellas.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

The price of the Z3M trailing arms has left many of us out of that scenario. I inquired about a complete Z3M subframe/LCAs/axles/diff and the guy wanted $4k.

Comment

Don't worry, they'll be more expensive next year.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

I got a full Z3M front and rear setup to be installed into my e30. For the rear trailing arms. Did you experience poke? I’m going to go for the 5 lug swap. But if the trailing arms don’t work, and aren’t stance, I’ll have to change plans. Had no clue they were that expensive. I got the whole car with s52 33k miles for half of one arm.

Comment

Working...
                      X