Best M20 powered E30 lap time at Buttonwillow CW13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best M20 powered E30 lap time at Buttonwillow CW13

Like the title states, anyone know the best lap time a M20 powered E30 can do around Buttonwillow CW13? I know the Spec E30 record is in the 2:04s. I’m curious if a street car with a relatively stock engine on DOT-Rs and better suspension could run faster than a 2:04?

I think you would at least need a s52 to get into that territory but I could be wrong.
    E30 S54

Comment

A lot of factors at play here but Toyo RR's are not significantly faster than DOT-R's, so I will say yes (without any knowledge of the track).
      - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by TheDirtyS54Thirty View Post
        I think you would at least need a s52 to get into that territory but I could be wrong.
        My Co-worker with about 6 track days under his belt is running 2:08s now with 2:06 showing on the predictive laptime. He ends up running into traffic since he runs in an intermediate group. His car is completely stock M20 powered with Bilstein sport shocks (stock housings)and a Ground Control coil over conversion. Tires are Achilles ATR-K (140 Treadwear). Spring rate is only around 350lbs. I raise the question because I got in a bet with a friend to see who’s car could run a faster time. He will be driving a 1990 Honda EF with a stock d16, full interior, and a fully setup suspension. We will be running the same tires as Nitto is willing to supply us with tires. If I lose I committed to selling my car and buying a Honda. I rather not sell my car so I’m trying to figure out how much suspension will need. I currently run a 2:00.14 in my E46 M3. All stock power and weight. Just suspension and tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
          A lot of factors at play here but Toyo RR's are not significantly faster than DOT-R's, so I will say yes (without any knowledge of the track).
          That’s good to know. I haven’t driven on RRs around a track so I’m not too familiar with their grip level. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Smoove1 View Post
            If I lose I committed to selling my car and buying a Honda. I rather not sell my car so I’m trying to figure out how much suspension will need. I currently run a 2:00.14 in my E46 M3. All stock power and weight. Just suspension and tires.
            I hope you are using the same lap timer and hardware. I'd also suggest getting a better GPS sensor if you are using something like Harry's on your phone. Those are too inaccurate to risk your e30 over.

Good luck.

Comment

What suspension are you running thats better than the SpecE30? Tires will make a big difference but that Honda sounds like its got a great suspension setup and you're setting yourself up for failure
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Well as a reference I was putting in consistent 1:59s all day yesterday and finally dipped into a 158.8 with my s54 car. Car pretty much has everything done to it under sun at this point. I think my limiting factor is wheel/tire size as I did this on 225/45 nt01s. 245/40s here I come lol
                Attached Files
                E30 S54

Comment

Originally posted by Cephas View Post
                  I hope you are using the same lap timer and hardware. I'd also suggest getting a better GPS sensor if you are using something like Harry's on your phone. Those are too inaccurate to risk your e30 over.

Good luck.
                  We're going to be using transponders from the track. I also use and AIM solo just for in car reference.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  What suspension are you running thats better than the SpecE30? Tires will make a big difference but that Honda sounds like its got a great suspension setup and you're setting yourself up for failure
                  Spec e30 suspension is just H&R race springs, Bilstein shocks, and sway bars. I plan on running a complete Ground Control coilover kit with race camber plates, sway bars, and rear camber/toe adjustment plates. My friend is the Spec E30 record holder around that track and his main complaint is the spec suspension is too soft/too much body roll.

Well as a reference I was putting in consistent 1:59s all day yesterday and finally dipped into a 158.8 with my s54 car. Car pretty much has everything done to it under sun at this point. I think my limiting factor is wheel/tire size as I did this on 225/45 nt01s. 245/40s here I come lol
                  Congrats man! That's awesome. A wider tire will definitely make a difference. I'm shooting for a 2:05 with the M20. It's a bit optimistic but I think the temps will be more agreeable in December. You should come out.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoove1 View Post
                    We're going to be using transponders from the track. I also use and AIM solo just for in car reference.

Spec e30 suspension is just H&R race springs, Bilstein shocks, and sway bars. I plan on running a complete Ground Control coilover kit with race camber plates, sway bars, and rear camber/toe adjustment plates. My friend is the Spec E30 record holder around that track and his main complaint is the spec suspension is too soft/too much body roll.

Congrats man! That's awesome. A wider tire will definitely make a difference. I'm shooting for a 2:05 with the M20. It's a bit optimistic but I think the temps will be more agreeable in December. You should come out.
                    I'm always down! What day and organization are you running with?
                    E30 S54

Comment

I'm always down! What day and organization are you running with?
                      December 3rd with extreme speed.

Comment

Likin dem rims
                        NASA
                        BMWCCA member
                        PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                        1997 M3 sedan
                        2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

What suspension are you running thats better than the SpecE30?
                          ...anything that lets you add front camber?
                          That's the SpecE30 Achillies' heel...

t
                          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Yeah but all of the fast spec e30's have plenty of camber. No one running up front with less than 3-3.5, most have over 4.
                            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
                              Yeah but all of the fast spec e30's have plenty of camber. No one running up front with less than 3-3.5, most have over 4.
                              I'm guessing they are bending their strut tubes/spindles? I can only get about 2.2* up front on my car with Spec E30 springs and GC Spec E30 plates before my spring perches bind on the strut tower.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X