E30 Handling Characteristics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alleykat View Post
    My wife has an e46 323i that is an excellent car on the highway. It is not very toss-able in the corners. I guess I want a miata with back seats. I can't wait to drive the new 1series.
    Miata with a back seat = rx8 ;)
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Rx8

In few more years when the prices slip below 10k used, I will buy an RX8.

Comment

coming from the vw world..( great fwd cars) The e30 took a little getting used too.. i was reall worried about the rear end coming around on me but after a week of everyday canyon driving ( on the way to work roughly 30mins from palmdale to pasadena for those who know the road and how hard im driving) i realized the 30 is just as docile as a fwd car unless u really provoke it . Im running a intrax / bilstien setup with stock sway bars 205-40-16s tires and a open diff.. Now im shure all of this can change with an lsd and a s50 swap where more hp is involved but i find myself loading the car early and keeping it to the wood around most corners where as i would normally come in hot and trail brake to get the volkswagen to rotate through the corner. overall i think the e30 is a very well manored car with a hint of 16year kid when u want the ass to get alittle happy

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
          Miata with a back seat = rx8 ;)
          If the Miata got horrible gas mileage, burned oil and only made power at 8K rpm. RX8 is a huge disapointment - can't hold a candle to the RX7, or any other car in that price range for that matter, and it has a tiny trunk (smaller than my S2000). Nice interior though.

Comment

Originally posted by speedblind View Post
            If the Miata got horrible gas mileage, burned oil and only made power at 8K rpm. RX8 is a huge disapointment - can't hold a candle to the RX7, or any other car in that price range for that matter, and it has a tiny trunk (smaller than my S2000). Nice interior though.
            I am very familiar with the s2k (got one in the garage) but it does not have rear seats.... don't forget one thing about the rx8, it's low weight and good handling.

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Trade offs

Mazda sacrificed gas mileage for weight savings and horsepower. The Renesis engine is smaller than the transmission it is mounted to yet manages to put out 230+- hp from 1.3 liters. The engine is located very low and far back of the front axle. This allows a mid engine design in reverse. Also, if you are familiar with Speed Source they run RX8s in the Grand AM Cup series. The cars use stock brake rotors. An RX8 is a tough built car.

Comment

Technically the S2000 is a "mid-engined" car, as the engine sits behind the rear axle. I'm not saying the RX8 isn't a decent car, but compared to what Mazda's done with rotaries in the past, it was a huge letdown. All of the "issues" associated with rotaries - fuel consumption, reliability, burning oil, low torque (in NA form), and none of the benefits - high hp from small displacement/small engine. I've driven one, and it's pretty much everything I dislike about the S2000 (power delivery) and less of what I like (steering, handling, etc.). Just saying - there are far better options.

Comment

Originally posted by speedblind View Post
                  Technically the S2000 is a "mid-engined" car, as the engine sits behind the rear axle. I'm not saying the RX8 isn't a decent car, but compared to what Mazda's done with rotaries in the past, it was a huge letdown. All of the "issues" associated with rotaries - fuel consumption, reliability, burning oil, low torque (in NA form), and none of the benefits - high hp from small displacement/small engine. I've driven one, and it's pretty much everything I dislike about the S2000 (power delivery) and less of what I like (steering, handling, etc.). Just saying - there are far better options.
                  Engine sits behind a rear axle ? I absolutely love driving my brothers s2k but with the top up it's pretty small inside and rx8 does have more room (rear seats, are they as small as porsche rear seats lol)

Comment

...there are far better options
                    Which is why I'm on a E30 Forum. I take no offense at your opnion. My experince with Miatas has been superb. You really have to try and kill them. I would dearly love for Maxda to build a small, affordable, light weight, piston (boinker), rwd coupe and sedan.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                      Engine sits behind a rear axle ? I absolutely love driving my brothers s2k but with the top up it's pretty small inside and rx8 does have more room (rear seats, are they as small as porsche rear seats lol)
                      Front axle - my bad. Only sits behind the rear axle when driving in reverse...

Comment

i really like the way the two e30's i've had handle (or i wouln't have bought a second one!!) BUT this second e30 i have doesnt like hard turning at decently high speeds becuase there's a point where the rear of the car suddenly drops and i pull towards where i was turning. Its scary and the oversteer it causes is unpredictable specially if i'm giving it gas. i disaprove of that and i'm looking to fix this w/ some suspension and bushings.

btw i'm talking 60+mph and very hard turning to the point where you're literally looking to loose grip
                        No more e30s for me.
                        88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                        88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                        91 BMW 325i [sold]
                        86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                        http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Alleykat- even a 323i is worlds away from an E30 in handling, simply due to improvements in susp. design. My mom's 325it w/ sport pkg is just as fast in spirited driving as my much lighter, ground-controlled E30. both are on pretty sissy all seasons. IMHO, the e46 steering feel is *way* better.
                          BEERTECH

Comment

Working...
                          X