This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
    Rear is up there in original post with all those questions answered.

yeah i know it is but a buddy told me that the z3 hubs will cause too much offset, and others say its the trailing arms that cause it...

Comment

answer to your question is BOTH...

z3 and 318ti hubs both extend outward further then stock e30 hubs, so the offset will be changed either way. The only difference is will you need wheels offset 35mm due to hub, or offset 65mm due to trailing arm and hub.

Comment

Ok man rear brake question... your list says that if the Ti/1.9Z3 hubs are used, you have to use rotors from the same vehicle, and cant use 6cyl. Z3 rotors (and vice versa)?
        I am trying to gather together the rear parts.. sofar I have ordered Z3 6cyl. hub flanges, and I have a set of rear E36 calipers. Also I priced out FAG bearings for only 50 bucks a side.
        A guy on another forum offered me the rear brakes hes taking off his Ti. solid rear rotors for a pre-98 318Ti and calipers. I know i can use the Ti calipers/brackets (and you said i can use ANY e36 caliper right?), But will these Ti rotors work with the Z3 hubs? not according to your parts list but others have claimed to use either/or rotor on the same car

Comment

Yeah, if you use I-6 z3 hubs, you're stuck using z3 I-6 Z3 rotors. I don't know if hub bore is the same, but it looked like 318ti rotors couldn't go over hubs.

Comment

Just wanted to add this here too!!!!
            don't know if you guys over there have the 4cyl. Z3--1.9 (i don't think so)-- but for the euro guys here-- I learned something today!!

Z3 hubs from the 4 CYL. will NOT fit into the e30 hubs--unless you are using the smaller/earlier arms.-- same situation as the 318ti stuff.
            the 1.9 Z3 hub has a diameter of 39mm---

Comment

Have you looked into using e36 M3 rotors and calipers? When I have more time I'll compare PNs on realoem, and after I kill some more cars I can pull the M3 out and check crossover compatibility, and the same for e36 325i rear components.

This place is like catholic school, 2/3 of the students smoke weed on a daily basis, but the faculty seems to convince the outside world that drugs are just in the other schools, the resident pot dealer thinks he's cool because he has the originality to call anyone he doesn't like a homosexual, and most of the little children follow him like sheep, then there's the few with brains, you hardly ever hear from them, perhaps don't even know they exist, but they get all the sh!t done.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler View Post
                Just wanted to add this here too!!!!
                don't know if you guys over there have the 4cyl. Z3--1.9 (i don't think so)-- but for the euro guys here-- I learned something today!!

Z3 hubs from the 4 CYL. will NOT fit into the e30 hubs--unless you are using the smaller/earlier arms.-- same situation as the 318ti stuff.
                the 1.9 Z3 hub has a diameter of 39mm---
                Yes, we do have 4-banger z3's rolling around, and I covered that in my write-up. 1.9L Z3 uses all exact same parts as 318ti...

Originally posted by napabavarian View Post
                Have you looked into using e36 M3 rotors and calipers? When I have more time I'll compare PNs on realoem, and after I kill some more cars I can pull the M3 out and check crossover compatibility, and the same for e36 325i rear components.
                I am messing around with extra trailing arms at the moment, seeing if I can make it work, I have a few crazy ideas. e36m3 and e36 325i use exact same front hubs/bearings, outside of that, I don't know much about e36...

Comment

so I cut front spring perches today, to make room for coil-overs...

My search for cheap wheels continues.

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
                    so I cut front spring perches today, to make room for coil-overs...

My search for cheap wheels continues.
                    doesnt it suck looking on ebay and finding that people still want an arm and a leg for used BMW wheels?? I am doing this swap partly because I have come across sooo many nice bmw wheels in the past that were just slighty bent or curbed and we would throw them in the aluminum pile!! if i had a car they would fit on i would have taken them all...

Comment

well, I had 2 sets of wheels in mind, and they didn't work out. So now I have 2 sets of wheels in the garage and neither fits the way I want...

I also need fender roller, and I may get it on Saturday. Then I may make my wheels fit the hard way.

Comment

what wheels are not fitting so i'll know to stay away from those? also you have an older E30 which has lower rear fender arches, right?

Comment

no, older e30 have higher rear wheel arches...

And wheels that don't fit are Style 65 on the pic in first post... They are ET15. And I have another set of Sport Editions, but they don't fit, because they just don't look as good as I thought they would. I may have to doodle on the to enhance looks.

Comment

Hey,
                            I am looking at some 5 lug options for sir kombi (touring) I've got a line on some e30M3 front struts, but I don't want to spend a stupid amount (ie new from the dealer) getting the rear 5 lug. Hence why I've been thinking at using z3 6cyl hubs instead of m3 units. I'm guessing that the difference in offset between e30m3 and z3 rear suspension is because the hub is different? If this is the case, can this hub be modified (by a machine shop or so) to get it down to e30M3 offset? I have never had one in my hand so I have no idea what makes the Z3 piece sit roughly 20MM out further than it's M3 counterpart. Any input? i'm guessing the rear M3 haubs are about 400-500 for both at the stealer?

CLIFF NOTES:
                            Can I make a e30 m3 rear 5 lug conversion with a modified z3 hub (I have access to rear m3 rotors, pads and calipers)
                            Thanks,

Julien
                            Build Threads:
                            Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Hey Julien, simple answer is no way...

Here's why:
                              e30 m3 rotor
                              e36 z3 rotor

Difference in offset is the difference in rotor hat depth... If you take that much material off the hub, there will be no hub left.

Comment

I was refering to cuting the back end off the hub and making new splines to alllow it to sit deeper into the wheel bearing
                                Build Threads:
                                Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Working...
                                X