Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IE short header with IE exhaust

Hi all,

I have a 325ic and I am not looking to make sure power out of it but I would like to get more torque at the lower range (below 4k). I am thinking of IE short header with IE exhaust. Is that a reasonable choice?

Also, to make the system complete, what else should I look for (pipe size? connection point? cat selection?)

Thanks!

Matthew
    Current:
    '88 325ic Silver 5sp
    '17 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Past:
    '14 Rav4 EV (with tons of torque!)
    '06 325i Black 5sp
    '02 S4 Avant Black 6sp
    '00 Boxster Silver 5sp
    '98 New Bettle Yellow 5sp

I had my IE headers and IE exhaust- I loved the power I received from it and the exhaust tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zABKCICxpV8

I sold my exhaust but I still have the headers and connector available for sale. :)
    Follow my IG @bouchezphotography

Comment

shorty headers don't give you more low end torque, they are too short to tune at any rpm the engine sees. a primary that length tune in about 9000 rpm totally useless from a tuned length point of view for a m20 that sees at most 7000 . So they are essentially a free flowing manifold when compared to the stock manifold. thus the scavenging you get from the exhaust is going to be dictated by the merge in relation to the engine not the short primaries.

if you want torque a long tube or mid length (nothing like using ambiguous terms lol) set with at most 1.5" primary (even 1-3/8" is plenty for mild stroker) and a properly located Y,X or H pipe (i.e. not close to the engine) is the go. it costs more but it will work so much better, look better, sound better.
      Last edited by digger; 06-28-2017, 04:21 PM.
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

So Digger sounds like I should let go of the short header, and in turns get a mid-length header with 1.5" diameter. Which brand would you suggest for the best bang for the buck? Also, what muffler should I get.
        Again, I am going for low to mid torque, not trying to rev my cabrio for racing...:)
        Thanks!
        Current:
        '88 325ic Silver 5sp
        '17 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Past:
        '14 Rav4 EV (with tons of torque!)
        '06 325i Black 5sp
        '02 S4 Avant Black 6sp
        '00 Boxster Silver 5sp
        '98 New Bettle Yellow 5sp

Comment

Join the strömung group buy. Best sounding exhaust I've heard for our cars.
          '87 Vert, Black, 5-sp
          '15 Civic Si, White - Daily commuter
          '15 MB C300 Sport, White/Cranberry - Wife's

Comment

Originally posted by mazzo View Post
            So Digger sounds like I should let go of the short header, and in turns get a mid-length header with 1.5" diameter. Which brand would you suggest for the best bang for the buck? Also, what muffler should I get.
            Again, I am going for low to mid torque, not trying to rev my cabrio for racing...:)
            Thanks!
            i would either leave the stock manifold, or go to mid to long tubes and add an x-pipe half way between engine and tailpipe end (or a Y if you want a single exhaust). i dont know any inexpensive ones off top of my head, i havent looked into off the shelf headers for ages
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
            X