X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H&R Shocks Dont Fit ?

1991 318is

Completely stock.

I bought a H&R cup kit a while ago from a member here, he said that he ran it on his 89 325is before swapping to coilovers

Kit is in great condition and apprears to be what its meant to be, the problem is the struts dont fit the shock tubes. The shock is 17" long and sticks out of the top of the strut tube by 3/4" so you cannot get the threaded cap back on.

I called H&R and they said that it is the correct shock for my application, they also stated that it uses stock threaded cap from BMW so I ordered brand new ones. No joy, same thing

I dont know if I should just buy new shocks for

IMG_2689 by Benn Benn, on Flickr

IMG_2690 by Benn Benn, on Flickr

I'm assuming you are having the same problem on both the left and right side. Possible that there is something lodged on the bottom?

Comment

Originally posted by iPee View Post
      I'm assuming you are having the same problem on both the left and right side. Possible that there is something lodged on the bottom?
      Not taken apart the other side yet, I dont have anything in the bottom of the housing

Comment

Compare the shock body length to the original you removed. Is there any corrosion on the original shock?
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

That doesn't look like 3/4", it looks more like 1/4", which is normal. It should stick out slightly, just like your pic shows, so that when you tighten the gland nut down, it stops when it hits the strut insert, so that it holds it in place, otherwise the strut insert would have vertical movement. The gland nut should slide over the outside of the strut insert, just like in this pic. And if you look at the length of the gland nut, you'll see that there is plenty of length to thread it into the strut housing:

85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
            That doesn't look like 3/4", it looks more like 1/4", which is normal. It should stick out slightly, just like your pic shows, so that when you tighten the gland nut down, it stops when it hits the strut insert, so that it holds it in place, otherwise the strut insert would have vertical movement. The gland nut should slide over the outside of the strut insert, just like in this pic. And if you look at the length of the gland nut, you'll see that there is plenty of length to thread it into the strut housing:

I dont think I have the correct shock and I think I was not told the truth when I purchased them.

If you look at the top and bottom of your shocks they taper in to allow the gland nut to slip over the top of it. Mine do not taper and the gland nut sits on top.

I am pretty sure these shocks are incorrect, I ordered new Bilstiens and I bet they fit straight away,

Pretty sure seller ripped me....

Comment

I believe bilstein makes H&R private label shocks
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
              X