Intermittent Steering Vibration.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent Steering Vibration.

I have researched a lot into this issue. I know the typical suspect would be a sticky caliper. There are no indications perceived that the rotors are warmer than any other. I do plan to borrow a 'thermal gun' or whatever they are called from a buddy soon.

I can grab my steering column (engine bay prior to entering the firewall) and shake the column. Plenty of play there. Why would this not cause vibration?? I have read several treads stating that a guibo/flexdisc/ragjoint can not cause vibration. If there is a lose point between two items, why would it not create some form of play in the wheel. ( Imagine the driveshaft, if there were a wheel at the end of that, and a bad CSB/Guibo, I imagine that would cause vibration, I guess keypoint for a counter argument would be the CSB. )

It feels like the the pinion teeth could be worn to the point where they are not fitting properly. Is this possible?

I would like suggestions to check for intermittent steering play. No vibration at shifter or brake pedal either.

Alignment has been within the last 2 months. Brand new tires (albeit cheap Viva 3s.. maybe those are the issue)

20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Maybe a poor balance. No one local has any actual knowledge of suspension (not claiming that I do).

Vibration occurs 65-75ish. By dropping or gaining speed it will disappear, although when its the latter the steering feels floaty (probably guibo causing that). Or after a short period of time it will stop.
    20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Your steering shaft/knuckle should not have 'plenty of play'.
      Check the knuckle to make sure the two halves are secured well to each other.
      Check to make sure that each end of the knuckle is secured well to the steering splines on the rack input and the steering intermediate shaft output (the part that sticks though your firewall).
      If you can shake the part that sticks through your firewall a lot then I'd suspect that is what is causing your problem.

Comment

Thank you for the reply!

They do not seem to be secured well at all. I tightened the 32mm nut under the kick panel the other day and that helped. I was able to make a full 360 with the steering wheel before it was firm.

Is there anyway to tighten this unit without removal/. (ie replacing the rivets with bolts)
        20% Accurate

Comment

So can the swivel joint actually fail?? I am having issues finding the lower bolts to the swivel joint. I am at work and checked on one of my breaks.
          20% Accurate

Comment

Just as a reference point I am looking for 7-9 (to make sure they are connected) correct?
            20% Accurate

Comment

Those are the locking bolts to hold the steering knuckle to the rack splines and the intermediate shaft splines.
              I doubt your knuckle is loose from those bolts not being there as it takes a huge amount of force just to loosen the splines off each other so the bolt is sort of redundant.
              Possible, so worth checking.

You mentioned that you have cheap tires. Did you have them balanced recently? Try swapping with somebody else's wheels and seeing if that makes it go away. Should eliminate the easy things first.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

A few thoughts: Vibration in the steering wheel are typically front suspension. Vibrations you feel in the seat, tend to be drive line or rear suspension.

Warped rotors tend to show with light brake pressure but tend not to vibrate just going down the road.

And of course, there are exceptions to every theory.

Is the vibration at a specific speed? Can you drive over it (as in speed up and it goes away)?

Move the tires, front to back, does anything change?

That slop in the steering linkage concerns me, not necessarily from the vibration, but from a safety perspective. Now if the steering rack is loose, that may show up in your steering linkage feeling loose along with a vibration.
                2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Originally posted by Mook613 View Post

You mentioned that you have cheap tires. Did you have them balanced recently? Try swapping with somebody else's wheels and seeing if that makes it go away. Should eliminate the easy things first.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
                  The tires were all replaced new less than a month ago, it really helped with the issue. I guess I shouldn't say cheap as it was 360ish installed. I will swap the front and rears this weekend. The old tire place marred up the rear wheel so I leave it there. Walmart, sadly, is the best local place for tires. I only say this because they use proper torque.

Originally posted by tomstin View Post
                  Is the vibration at a specific speed? Can you drive over it (as in speed up and it goes away)?

Move the tires, front to back, does anything change?

That slop in the steering linkage concerns me, not necessarily from the vibration, but from a safety perspective. Now if the steering rack is loose, that may show up in your steering linkage feeling loose along with a vibration.
                  Very speed specific mostly around 65-80ish. It has cleared up with an increase or decrease of speed.

Do you mean a loose mounted rack or loose gears within?

Parts that have already been replaced within the last 6ish months (with two alignments between, just recently found a place that will do the front and not charge for the rear)

Front Suspension.
                  Bilstein B6
                  Vogtland Spring
                  Front Rotors are UUC OE-Replacement
                  Hawk Pads.
                  Lemforder Control Arms
                  Lemforder Tie Rods
                  Condor Speed Shop m3 Offset FCAB
                  Sachs Strut Mounts
                  F.A.G. Wheel bearing (passenger side, drivers seemed replaced before I got the car, less than 2 years?)

Also running no P/S with CSS UMHW delete
                  No front sway bar.
                  Last edited by HerbE30; 10-13-2017, 08:10 AM.
                  20% Accurate

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys!
                    20% Accurate

Comment

Originally posted by HerbE30 View Post

Do you mean a loose mounted rack or loose gears within?
                      I was thinking of the rack itself being loose. But, with it being speed related I would recommend taking the car to a good shop and have the tires road forced balanced.
                      2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Originally posted by tomstin View Post
                        I was thinking of the rack itself being loose. But, with it being speed related I would recommend taking the car to a good shop and have the tires road forced balanced.
                        So just a little update. I removed the wheels (for a deep clean and a little respray in areas) and it seems as if the issue has resolved. Maybe the lugs were not within spec or improperly set on hubs. I have not been around 70mpg yet but pretty close. I will notify in a weekish if its truly resolved.

I will still repair my steering column. Probably going to join the two e46 joints. Or just buy a new one..

*** Update ***
                        Still present. I am wrong.
                        Last edited by HerbE30; 10-18-2017, 01:29 PM.
                        20% Accurate

Comment

Working...
                        X