E30 vs E46

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rwdrift View Post
    Oh granted there are exceptions, but I'm sure that driver's experience alone accounts for most of it, shortly followed by the fact that 1/2 the cars you mentioned weight significantly less than any rwd competitor.

Not even Miatas match the weight of an old school cooper.
    Not really, the Integra i owned was 2,500lbs, RSX is 2,800, even the newer EP Civic hatchbacks are 2,800.

Comment

rwdrift, quit while you're even. lol :P

Some FWD cars are just darn quick, no but's about it.

Comment

lol ok, but id love to hear why is that over AIM sometime.
        Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
        EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
        FullOpp Stickers for sale!
        NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
        Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
        ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Mk1 GTIs stripped can get well under 2000 lbs. I know of one WITH cage and a 1.8turbo engine that weighs in at about 1700 total.

The engine is not too wild, but 220hp in a 1700lb car.

It ain't brain surgery. That little box will scoot.
          Current Cars
          2014 M235i
          2009 R56 Cooper S
          1998 M3
          1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
            Correct, for the most part, but there are exceptions. Looks at mini coopers, celicas, rsx-s, integras, civics, they are all FWD but handle great and you can verify this through scca results against RWD cars...
            All of those cars are VERY light. Their good handling is primarily a function of weight. The Acura we're talking about here is a big fat pig. my Dad says it weighs around 3800 pounds, which is just absurdly heavy. I think he took it to a public scale to get that number.

Also, SCCA and many other sanctioning bodies "equalize" the cars by allowing more or different mods on some models. The FWD cars in many cases are more heavily modded than the RWD cars.

Comment

Originally posted by O 16581 72452 5 View Post
              Because i'm not ignorant and carry an open mind? I've raced a few FWD cars, while some suck, Honda and Acuras perform very well in turns IMO.

I had absolutely no plowing issues with my Integra, i actually tried pushing it to the limits to make it plow and insted the ass kicked out. I had a Civic Hatchback (base model with no sway bars, i had adjustable springs and shocks) i raced an MR2 with, the MR2 driver was pretty well known as a decent driver, i'd ride him through the turns and fall behind in the straights. I also raced a novice with a 240sx and he couldn't keep up for shit. The hatch however did have some tendacy to plow, but i have no doubt it would hang with an e30 (318.), possibly out perform it slightly in turns of equal suspension mods and tires. The problem i had that i don't have with the e30 though is brake fade, i suffered from it with that hatchback and i'm guessing it was from all the weight in the front and it having to use the shit out of those brakes that aren't intended for that kind of driving.

That hatch was my favorite handling car though, very, very responsive, and very predictable, no other car i've driven have i felt quite that in control of.

I hate to do this but I agree.

FWD is all about the set up. If it matches the driver and the driver is a good one a FWD will be right there with the RWD all things being equal.
              You can get any car to plow.
              The Integra Type-R is argueable the best FWD car ever made in terms of it's overall performance. And it's great handling proves it.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Back on topic: E46 vs E30....

Comment

Full size FWD luxury vehicle is not the same as a double wishbone mid-nineties civic or integra, it's like comparing a new 745iL to an E30.

In your case, I would take the E46, only because it is manual. If the E30 was manual, I'd take that for sure, even if it was 100% stock otherwise. A stock E30 is an excellent teacher, promotes good driving habits.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eliminator View Post
                    All of those cars are VERY light. Their good handling is primarily a function of weight. The Acura we're talking about here is a big fat pig. my Dad says it weighs around 3800 pounds, which is just absurdly heavy. I think he took it to a public scale to get that number.

Also, SCCA and many other sanctioning bodies "equalize" the cars by allowing more or different mods on some models. The FWD cars in many cases are more heavily modded than the RWD cars.
                    Ok, you obviously do not autocross. The rules do not change for the cars within a given class.
                    If FWD sucked that bad they wouldn't be using them in the touring car races.
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe View Post
                      Full size FWD luxury vehicle is not the same as a double wishbone mid-nineties civic or integra, it's like comparing a new 745iL to an E30.

In your case, I would take the E46, only because it is manual. If the E30 was manual, I'd take that for sure, even if it was 100% stock otherwise. A stock E30 is an excellent teacher, promotes good driving habits.

Agreed. I would hate to drive that CL on track. Might be fun but work at the same time.

Comment

e46 - e30 earns no points because of the autotragic
                        PNW Crew
                        90 m3
                        06 m5

Comment

Originally posted by joshh View Post
                          Ok, you obviously do not autocross. The rules do not change for the cars within a given class.
                          If FWD sucked that bad they wouldn't be using them in the touring car races.
                          I do autocross, and I'm well aware of autocross rules. In this thread we're talking about real driving on a road course, and I was referring to things like SCCA club racing or Grand AM Cup.

BACK ON TOPIC. I don't give a rat's arse about Civics and Integras and FWD. Start a new thread if you want to discuss that crap.

Comment

Originally posted by joshh View Post
                            I hate to do this but I agree.

FWD is all about the set up. If it matches the driver and the driver is a good one a FWD will be right there with the RWD all things being equal.
                            You can get any car to plow.
                            The Integra Type-R is argueable the best FWD car ever made in terms of it's overall performance. And it's great handling proves it.
                            .92 on the skidpad. :)

I'd love to drive one.

Considering the CL carries the Type-S badge, it can't be that bad of a handling car.

Comment

Originally posted by O 16581 72452 5 View Post
                              Considering the CL carries the Type-S badge, it can't be that bad of a handling car.
                              Badge racing ftw! It is a fat pig of a luxury car. It will PLOW like a motherbitch.

I say take the E46. having an auto would drive me nuts on the track.

Comment

I'm very curious how the CL does.

Comment

Working...
                                X