M54. Let the foolishness begin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
    After some research I decided that I need to keep the M54 oil pump. It has higher capacity and pressure needed for the dual VANOS plus it's newer so it must be better. The E34 pickup is useless on this pump so I need to fabricate a custom one for the E34 oil pan, which will fit just fine.

I made a model of the oil pan using some wood. Oak. German oak harvested from the Black Forest. BMW told me to do it this way so it's Ok.

The original pickup had a nice 90 degree bend that I harvested and welded to the attaching flange. Cut the pipe, add the pickup bowl with the metal screen. Amost done. It's not the best welding but I've always felt that if you put enough slag on anything it will hold. Argon is on my shopping list.

When I get it all done I'll test fit the pan with some playdough in the bottom and see how close I am to the right clearance.

I'm not comfortable having the pickup held with only one bolt at the top. It's secure but acts like a resonating pendulum and I've heard about this thing called metal fatigue that makes me want to add a second point of attachment. I'll ponder that over a beer tonight.

I've taken the stock windage tray off and will use the one in the E34 pan exclusively. In this picture you can see the triangular re-enforcing tabs that BMW added to tie the bearing cap to the side of the motor. I guess that's a provision for the aluminum block flexing more?
    Just wanted you to know, that e38 728i has a pickup, that fits perfectly. My pic is from m52b28tü, but maybe this is doable in m54 too.

Requires drilling a hole in the windange tray and one 6mm bolt with two nuts.

The part number is: 11417503261
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jjt; 11-24-2013, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jjt View Post
      Just wanted you to know, that e38 728i has a pickup, that fits perfectly. My pic is from m52b28tü, but maybe this is doable in m54 too.

Requires drilling a hole in the windange tray and one 6mm bolt with two nuts.

The part number is: 11417503261
      That's a great find! Brings the M54 closer to being a plug and play swap without custom fabrication.

My M54 swap has been running for over 5 years now! No issues whatsoever, just lots of fun. (I did shred the original clutch disc, but that doesn't really count as an issue)

Comment

That's a great find! Brings the M54 closer to being a plug and play swap without custom fabrication.

My M54 swap has been running for over 5 years now! No issues whatsoever, just lots of fun. (I did shred the original clutch disc, but that doesn't really count as an issue)
        Also the price should not stop any swap. 40 Euros here in Finland :)

Comment

I'm going to resurrect this thread because I don't think it's very common knowledge still that a custom oil pickup tube is not necessary for the M52TU and M54 because the E38 728i parts can be used. The oil pan is part number 11131710319. The pickup tube for engines made beginning January 2000 is part number 11417503261. The pickup tube for engines made before January 2000 is part number 11411432735. (They are not interchangeable without modification due to different oil pump & deflector designs.) For January 2000 and newer engines the oil deflector (or windage tray) is also required unless you want to modify your existing one like jjt did. It's part number 11137502669.

Now let's see some more M52TU and M54 swaps. :)
          Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

^^^Dude, great info!!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
              Now let's see some more M52TU and M54 swaps. :)
              Thank you for this, I will also add this information in my M54 swap thread.

Comment

I did a M52TU swap but with a twist; I converted everything to M50 single vanos: both electronics and mechanical

OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                  I did a M52TU swap but with a twist; I converted everything to M50 single vanos: both electronics and mechanical

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...83#post4524183
                  That's interesting that you removed all of the technical upgrades from the engine. Did you build that for the track? Because I wouldn't recommend anyone do that otherwise for the following reasons:
                  1) Decreased low end power
                  2) Lower fuel economy
                  3) Loss of OBD2 diagnostic capability
                  4) The engine will not run as smoothly
                  5) Higher emissions
                  6) More work involved due to switching out all those components
                  7) If the engine had to be replaced down the road more work would be involved due to the changed components
                  Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

M54. Let the foolishness begin.

Full racing car that actually had a m50b25 based power plant in it already.

Power gain was not the goal; decreased front end weight and simple function of electronic items is.

The m50 electronics system is much easier to trouble shoot trackside and has no critical electronic items (no E throttle or E pedal). No EWS also is a benefit; have seen more than one bmw stranded track side due to EWS malfunctioning

The profile of the single vanos cams is more ideal for top end power; this car weight with no ballast is about 2300lbs and does not need double vanos as much as a street car; it would be nice to add in later.

much more is available aftermarket as well as the choice of s52 camshafts.

Not much needs to be changed to fit m50 items; if you know both well then you have seen how modular they are and that people have been fitting m50 intake manifolds and m52/s52 headers; in fact the spec e46 racing series mandates the use of single vanos m52/s52 headers.
                    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Stock M54 cams are intake 240/9.7 exhaust 244/9.0
                      ZHP cams are 248/10.0 248/10.0

I had the ZHP cams measured by a cam performance shop, and here are their real specs and how they compare:

Stock B30:
                      Intake 240 degree, unknown lift?
                      Exhaust 228 degree, unknown lift?

ZHP:
                      Intake 246 degree, 10mm lift
                      Exhaust 237 degree, 9.4mm lift

Schrick 248/248 set:
                      Intake 248 degree, 10mm lift
                      Exhaust 248 degree, 10.8mm lift

Documentation is attached.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by rkneeshaw; 07-18-2018, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rkneeshaw View Post
                        I had the ZHP cams measured by a cam performance shop, and here are their real specs and how they compare:

Stock B30:
                        Intake 240 degree, unknown lift?
                        Exhaust 228 degree, unknown lift?

ZHP:
                        Intake 246 degree, 10mm lift
                        Exhaust 237 degree, 9.4mm lift

Schrick 248/248 set:
                        Intake 248 degree, 10mm lift
                        Exhaust 248 degree, 10.8mm lift

Documentation is attached.

M52TU/M54 228 inlet With 9.0mm lift 228 exhaust With 9.0mm lift up to B25
                        M54 240 inlet With 9.7mm lift for the B30 Engine

The ZHP cams are such a SMALL change for the B30, but would be a bigger improvement for the rest of the M5X cars. I would just swap in Shricks and be done with it.
                        E92 Msport

Comment

Working...
                        X