Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S54 Oil Pump w/ E34 Oil Pan

So...

i have a brand new S54 oil pump, and for my e30 swap, i got the e34 pan. So i was thinking is maybe i can Mod the s54 pump to make it work with the e34 pan.

The s54 pump has 2 pickups and 1 return.

Front pickup is not a problem, it fits perfect in the e34 pan, but the rear (Main) pickup and return pipe won't fit. So i was thinking maybe re-route them into the front sump, i will have 2 pickups and 1 return all in the same place..

Do you think this will work? do i have to remove or keep the windrage tray from the e34 oil pan?

Of course, the main pickup tube will have a kind of filter because its an open tube.

Please.. comments!

Re: one guy's opinion

This makes no sense.

First off, the E34 pan and pump are adequate for most use, and in fact are a better design for performance driving than the rear sump that came with the original M50 engines in E36 cars.

Example: Same engine in E30 race car of a friend using E34 pan and pump never, ever had oil starvation issues, as monitored by adequate gauges and DA systems.

Engine was then thrown into an E36 race car using a single pickup E36 pan and immediately under braking the oil pressure gauge showed issues. Conversion to dual pickup pan solved problem.

Sell your valuable S54 pump and use it to buy a new E34 pump.

Honestly the nicest solution for E30 S54 may be the converted oilpans and subframes from the guy up in Wisconsin..... keeping dual pickup is probably the best short of drysumping because the clearance is improved vs E34 on the Wisconsin product.

sigpic
    Trying to make the world a better place, 6 TB at a time.
    http://abloriginalparts.com/

Comment

thanks for the honest response!!

i was thinking on doing the e30 mod, but this will eliminate the sway bar, which i need..

ill just buy a e34 pump!

thanks!!

Comment

Tyler's modded subframe doesn't lose the sway bar....it moves it to in front of the engine (flips the mount 180 degrees...if that makes sense). I used his modded subframe on my S65 and flipped the sway bar....the only issue was the extension Tyler put on it was too short (not his fault as it was his first modded subframe for an S65).

Comment

i have grp.a suspension, with big sway bars, etc..

i would mess with that! so i prefer buying a e34 pump!

thank you all for the support!

Comment

If you are planning on tracking the car, I would at the very least get a trap door baffle. The dual pick-up pan modification from the Arc Asylum is definitely the best option though. I had a m50 pan with a VAC baffle installed and after reading about oil starvation problems even with the baffle, I decided to send my pan and subframe to Tyler.
            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Has anyone done Tyler's mod on an e34?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X