No announcement yet.

1990 325is restomod project aka "Klaus"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok last update of the weekend. I feel like I got a lot accomplished and almost nothing accomplished at the same time :roll:

So I traced back the gnawed on, it did go to the evap system and was still connected, I pulled the cover off to get to it and I have never seen so much corrosion coming out from behind the cover. I am assuming it was partially rust and maybe some hind of coating, I have no idea, but all that stuff on the ground around the hose is from behind the panel covering it.

It was a bitch to get out, I hope that was because of the corrosion, hopefully the new one will slide in easier.

I cleaned up the wheel well and painted it with rust inhibitor, I will be doing the Wurth this week.

Last but not least, moved over all the tubes which were in good shape, fuel pump, sensors and grommets to the new tank. I ddnt install it yet, I ordered some new rubber fuel lines and that evap line I will install it all together. Love having a clean tank with no dents!

Oh and I degreased and power washed the bottom of the car today so I have a nice clean surface for the Wurth underbody spray.

Im exhausted and it feels like I still have so much work to do just to get wheels back on the car.
    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Door panels

Great work so far! Where did you get those door cards?

Comment

Originally posted by MCreally? View Post
        Great work so far! Where did you get those door cards?
        Thanks! I bought them from a guy in Germany.

Willkommen in unserem eBay Shop. Wir haben uns auf Lederausstattungen für den BMW E30 spezialisiert. Verwendung findet bei uns nur Automobil-Echtleder in Erstausrüsterqualität. Wer seinen geliebten BMW E30 verschöner will ist bei uns genau richtig, egal ob M3, Cabrio, Touring o. Limousine.

Comment

So onto the rear wheel bearings so I can strip and paint the trailing arms.

First off, I should have at least taken these off before they were off the car, what a pain in the ass without the weight of the vehicle.

Anyway got the clip off and the hubs off with a little leverage from a large tamper bar and some lug nuts.

Used the same lug nuts to remove the hub.

Of course the bearing was stuck in the trailing arm. So I used a contraption I saw on a youtube video to remove the bearings. 3' to 4" PVC coupler, 5/8" threaded rod, a few nuts and washers and my 46mm socket.

It worked fantastic on the first one, bearing came right out with a lot of turning.

Last edited by Staszek; 10-26-2017, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Looking great so far, love the new interior!

Comment

I've been waiting to see updates on this. Can't wait to see it done if you take it to car shows around the Chicago area.

Comment

Originally posted by brokecollegekid View Post
                I've been waiting to see updates on this. Can't wait to see it done if you take it to car shows around the Chicago area.
                The engine should be in and done in the spring. The paint sometime next year hopefully if I have time and cash:)

Comment

I shouldve looked through the entire thread before my PM. sorry about that

This thing is coming along quite nicely. Keep the recipts, but never EVER add them up!

I think I have the same headunit, I got my phone synced and its quite nice
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I have a harbor freight bearing puller if you need one
                    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                      I have a harbor freight bearing puller if you need one
                      Thanks! I did finally get the thing out, I cut a little to release the pressure and pulled the second one out.

I think I was drinking last night because after all that work I decided to trade them in for the Garagistic reinforced trailing arms. I shipped them out this morning and I am waiting for my matching set to go with the new subframe.

I should hopefully have everything buttoned back up in a week or so when it comes in.

I ordered new brake lines and a bender plus a new T. They were not horrible but the parts were cheap enough to just replace while I had everything down.

Comment

Started painting the chrome trim today. I did three coats of SEM Primer after I sanded them down. Need to do another light sanding and then paint. After that another light sanding and do a satin clear coat. The one chrome piece on below the rear window I could not for the life of me figure out how to get it off without damaging it so I had to pain on the car.

Comment

More parts yay!

Comment

Nice! What sandpaper did you use to prep it for primer?
                            1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                            1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                              Nice! What sandpaper did you use to prep it for primer?
                              I used 180 to get a good grit, then I went to 320 to make it fine and smooth. I will wet sand a bit with 600 before I put the paint on, trying to get as smooth as possible so I can match the OEM shadowline. Unfortunetly my car was missing chrome on one side, so I bought new OEM shadowline trim. I am trying to match it as close as possible.

I am not really good at painting lol but I am taking a lot of time with these.

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                                I used 180 to get a good grit, then I went to 320 to make it fine and smooth. I will wet sand a bit with 600 before I put the paint on, trying to get as smooth as possible so I can match the OEM shadowline. Unfortunetly my car was missing chrome on one side, so I bought new OEM shadowline trim. I am trying to match it as close as possible.

I am not really good at painting lol but I am taking a lot of time with these.
                                I would scuff and shoot the new piece of trim along with the old , sem trim black is the only way to go

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                                Current Cars:
                                2016 PORSCHE GT3 RS
                                2017 FERRARI 488GTB
                                2018 RAPTOR CREW CAB
                                1991 318is SLICKTOP H&R SPRING SEMA CAR
                                1991 318IS SLICKTOP STERLING SILVER
                                1990 325ic BRONZIT/AUTO :)
                                1989 E30 M3 (SOLD AWAITING SHIPPING)

On Order:
                                2018 DODGE DEMON

Searching for: