Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E46 M3 suspension in E30, doable with minimal fabrication?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 M3 suspension in E30, doable with minimal fabrication?

What do you guys think? I have read elsewhere that people have used non-m3 e46 stuff on an e30 but I wondered if anyone else has messed with it maybe for a track car. Any information would be helpful/ criticism.
    '84 325e - "Elizabeth"
    '87 325e (SHELL) - "Sleeping Beauty" - COMPLETE PROJECT PART-OUT - S54, 5-LUG, and MORE

sigpic

wow not 1 person? I heard from someone that e46 m3 control arms were used by the drift guys. so someone has used some of the piece. thoughts on how well it worked / problems?
    '84 325e - "Elizabeth"
    '87 325e (SHELL) - "Sleeping Beauty" - COMPLETE PROJECT PART-OUT - S54, 5-LUG, and MORE

sigpic

Comment

e46 control arms are used in the front by the drift cars because they push the spindles out further allowing for more steering angle. I haven't heard of anyone using e46 spindles or uprights on an e30.

Comment

Answer: No.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

There is a guy on here somewhere with the rear suspension grafted onto an e30. Anything is possible with enough money, time, and skill.

Comment

Originally posted by Jalves619 View Post
            e46 control arms are used in the front by the drift cars because they push the spindles out further allowing for more steering angle. I haven't heard of anyone using e46 spindles or uprights on an e30.
            Correct I read about that. I wonder if the geometry would be off and by how much.

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
            Answer: No.
            So no with minimal fabrication, but yes with lots of fabrication!!!???

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
            There is a guy on here somewhere with the rear suspension grafted onto an e30. Anything is possible with enough money, time, and skill.
            Totally. I know if I get the welder out, I am sure I could make it all work. I kinda want to do it for fun and to be the only one.

Got the entire suspension top to bottom for pennies on the dollar, so why not. I will post an e46 M3 suspension conversion to e30 as soon as i get closer to doing it.

I did find out last night that my BBS RS005 16" ET11 clear the brakes, so that was exciting for me as I didn't really want to go above 17.
            '84 325e - "Elizabeth"

sigpic

Comment

The basic issue is that you will have to figure out how to a) locate the rear subframe and trailing arm mount points on the shell (which will require a lot of modification), and then b) make those mount points strong enough to survive. Realistically, you are talking about a cage structure and fairly massive chassis modification.

Anything is possible. There was also an E30 with a C4 corvette rear end, as well as the V10 E30 M3, which iirc has an E60 rear.
              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

The basic issue is that you will have to figure out how to a) locate the rear subframe and trailing arm mount points on the shell (which will require a lot of modification), and then b) make those mount points strong enough to survive. Realistically, you are talking about a cage structure and fairly massive chassis modification.

Anything is possible. There was also an E30 with a C4 corvette rear end, as well as the V10 E30 M3, which iirc has an E60 rear.
                Very cool. Thanks for the response. I am going to look into this a little more and post back. My shell is at my grandparents house, so I will have to wait before I can get to it for modification.
                '84 325e - "Elizabeth"

sigpic

Comment

Let the fun begin.

'84 325e - "Elizabeth"

sigpic

Comment

I think you should look into e92 rear end instead...
                    Not sure but I think a lot less effort to get this to work over e46 rear end.
                    Trailing arm set up vs multi-link set up.

Comment

I would agree with the E90 rear suspension setup. I just bought an E90 and was looking at the back of it. It is tidy and complex. 4 mounting points to the body and she is in. 2 upper shock mounts and the diff attaches to the subframe instead of the body like an E30.
                      We did an E30 rear into an NK (similar to 2002) and what looked easy and simple turned into many, many man hours of fabrication to get it all in there and correct.
                      '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
                      '07 335i Alpine/Black Sedan
                      '12 X5 3.5i Alpine/Black
                      iS Splitters For Sale, PM ME!
                      sigpic

Comment

check to make sure you can fit wheels with the correct offset first! I am guessing the e90 track width is quite a bit wider than the e30

Comment

Originally posted by XvillainousX View Post
                          I think you should look into e92 rear end instead...
                          Not sure but I think a lot less effort to get this to work over e46 rear end.
                          Trailing arm set up vs multi-link set up.

Thanks for the suggestion. Currently I already have an E36 5-lug complete and this E46 suspension literally fell in my lap for practically nothing. Piecing together an E90 setup would be pricier and still require fabricating.

Originally posted by M3 Ryan View Post
                          I would agree with the E90 rear suspension setup. I just bought an E90 and was looking at the back of it. It is tidy and complex. 4 mounting points to the body and she is in. 2 upper shock mounts and the diff attaches to the subframe instead of the body like an E30.
                          We did an E30 rear into an NK (similar to 2002) and what looked easy and simple turned into many, many man hours of fabrication to get it all in there and correct.
                          I see your point Ryan. The E46 suspension was deal of the century and I couldn't pass it up. I bought everything before I did any real comprehensive research on whats been done before and figured either the community would chime in or I would figure out a custom subframe solution.

I will say that rear 4 point frame on the e90 looks similar to the one I have from the E46. That thing on the right in my pic.
                          '84 325e - "Elizabeth"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nebulous123 View Post
                            Thanks for the suggestion. Currently I already have an E36 5-lug complete and this E46 suspension literally fell in my lap for practically nothing. Piecing together an E90 setup would be pricier and still require fabricating.

I see your point Ryan. The E46 suspension was deal of the century and I couldn't pass it up. I bought everything before I did any real comprehensive research on whats been done before and figured either the community would chime in or I would figure out a custom subframe solution.

I will say that rear 4 point frame on the e90 looks similar to the one I have from the E46. That thing on the right in my pic.
                            The difference is that the E90 rear suspension is entirely self contained. That is vastly simpler to work with than trying to a) mount the 4-points of the subframe, and then b) correctly mount the trailing arms. 4 points are a lot easier than 6 points, especially since that should save you from screwing around with the fuel tank.

I hadn't realized just how self contained the E90 setup is. It is a far better set up.
                            1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                            1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                            - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                            1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

The difference is that the E90 rear suspension is entirely self contained. That is vastly simpler to work with than trying to a) mount the 4-points of the subframe, and then b) correctly mount the trailing arms. 4 points are a lot easier than 6 points, especially since that should save you from screwing around with the fuel tank.

I hadn't realized just how self contained the E90 setup is. It is a far better set up.
                              I see. Very very valid points. I appreciate you guys chiming in. I know this isn't the section but thoughts on trying to retrofit the gas tank from e46 M3? Got that too. Hehe mainly for the in-tank fuel pumps but he didn't want to take it all apart, worked for me.
                              '84 325e - "Elizabeth"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X