Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Progress : AC Schnitzer S3.5 Convertible (FOR SALE!! FOR SALE!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Progress : AC Schnitzer S3.5 Convertible (FOR SALE!! FOR SALE!!)

It is time to get one started.

This will help keep me sorted, a soundboard for those much more talented than I, place to ask for parts I may seek, sell parts I don't need, the posterity of the ACS E30 catalog and even a chance for others to learn.

My E30, and my time on r3v, started here:

I lost the account access, thought of selling the car, realized I will keep this car forever and got this idea to make it an ACS car.

I chose ACS after some talks with Raul and my time looking at other tuner builds. Rightfully so, there were many Alpina, Hartge and MTech offerings. While there were many options, I became fond of ACS. The chase began.

My approach will be my simple delight in the break down of a complex task. To restore a vehicle requires countless steps, each a task within. Each of those tasks I enjoy treating with care and accept as a learning opportunity. I never worked on a car to this extent, never grew up working on cars. To think I am jonsing for a motor swap is wild.. I have never done anything like that.

Of all the builds on the site, SimonS Zen post is hands down the best I have read. The joy that can be had in the minutiae. I would hope this post can touch upon some of that zeal that Simon tackled his restoration with and the fine attention to its documentation.

Idea of the build is to honor the time period this vehicle was designed for.. I want it to be a TimeMachine.

Enough talking.

Goals:

- Amass ACS parts
    - Bumper swap for said hoarded ACS parts
    - Refresh all wear parts with the opportunity to upgrade as necessary
    - M30 Swap or stroker
    - New leather kit in natur tan (perforated leather inserts perhaps?)
    - Respray in original color
    Last edited by TimeMachinE30; 03-12-2018, 03:40 AM.
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Things to do:

Steering wheel horn pad needs recolored with silver paint
    Last edited by TimeMachinE30; 07-21-2015, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Can't wait to follow along with your build. Hopefully I'll be able to see it in person through the process since I'm fairly local.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Starting with Steering Wheels

Among my first purchase was an ACS Katalog No. 4. I ended up acquiring, what I believe to be a No. 1 catalog as well. With them, I can seek out the proper, period correct parts for the E30 (shift knobs may fit from different models but I want to remain true to the ACS E30).

One of the first ACS catalog purchases was a steering wheel. ACS offers many styles. I prefer the leather ones, though I would not turn down a wood one for my growing collection (or to have something Raul does not).

My first ACS wheel was likely from an E36: a 38cm. The steering wheel had been redrilled to fit a Momo hub rather than the intended Atiwe 2521x E30 fitment. It was in great condition but had to go upon finding a more fitting example: the 36cm with Atiwe 2521x. The hub was sold to a fellow r3v'er. Funny enough, this steering wheel ended up being purchased by a former r3v'er: Vlad.

The 38cm:

The 36cm did not arrive with the slip ring or affiliated screws. Ordered these parts new.

The 36cm:

Along the way, another steering wheel came along. Now, ACS parts are not common. Unlike some Hartge or Alpina parts, they are not items that can be ordered. When the opportunity comes along, I have lost enough opportunities to realize, grab it. So I did.

From the catalog (Katalog No.4):

From another, earlier catalog (not numbered, believe to be No.1):

And as an inset:

The wheel:

Its Momo Hub:

A different example of the wheel, but not mine:

I question the authenticity of the prallschutz / cover. It is not embossed like the other examples I have seen. The wheel itself and hub are correct. The feel of it is super. It is a well crafted wheel. It seems there are multiple covers after seeing the original catalog.

Each steering wheel was treated with regard to restore it to its original glory without alteration. I do not mind patina. These parts are over 25 years old, they can have dings and dents. I used Poorboys World All Purpose Cleaner and a stiff nylon brush to shed the grime. They were then treated with multiple applications of PB Leather Stuff over the course of several days with attempts to restore the leather. Their suppleness seems regained; their color is once again dark.

I dissected the steering wheels in an effort to document them and understand them more. Each piece was then cleaned as I reassembled.

Last edited by TimeMachinE30; 07-28-2015, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
          Can't wait to follow along with your build. Hopefully I'll be able to see it in person through the process since I'm fairly local.
          Thank you. I am even closer to you as I am outside of DC. I would be glad to have a mini E30 meet at my place. Grill out and cruise the Annapolis area.

Your build thread gave me great inspiration that so much work can be done with limited work space. It also got me to consider nixing the M30 swap and staying more true to the ACS S3 2.7 and build a stroker. I am still on the fence after reading your build.
          Last edited by TimeMachinE30; 07-16-2015, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Sub'd for ACS build!!!!
            Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

This will be great!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                Thank you. I am even closer to you as I am outside of DC. I would be glad to have a mini E30 meet at my place. Grill out and cruise the Annapolis area.

Your build thread gave me great inspiration that so much work can be done with limited work space. It also got me to consider nixing the M30 swap and staying more true to the ACS S3 2.7 and build a stroker. I am still on the fence after reading your build.
                Yeah I'm always up for something. I usually try to make it to Hunt Valley on Saturdays for the C&C.

If I were to do it again, Id probably go M30 for the extra numbers but the stroker is fun too for what I need. And it was an easy swap.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Thank you folks for the sub. It is an honor and a fire under my ass to keep moving on this. Please check back and help answer questions for which I seek guidance.

One thing right now is an 89 535i for under $500. ODO says 61k but carfax in 96 was at 160k. I dknt know if I should snag an inexpensive M30 or wait for a better deal?

I have more posts of my parts and what I learned about them, etc.

I am also waiting for a reaponse from Chris Rossiter as I try to keep this build period correct and in tune with the ACS directions.

Already I was told the install directions are no longer available from ACS. They actually are not helpful in the least. Rossiters has promise and I intend to share what they offer.

Lost another auction for the leather shuft knob. Have a NOS S3 badge in the mail, and an exhaust and just got a second rear skirt I will offer for sale. It is fiberglass and would likely date it to be one of the older, original pieces going by the ways of Alpina and Hartge.

Comment

Subscribed. Sounds interesting.
                    Originally posted by Andy.B
                    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                    ~~~~~~~~~~
                    I was born on 3/25…
                    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Bumper Swap

My E30 came adorned with diving boards and a cow catcher. It looked pretty sharp.

To fit the ACS body kit, I would need plastics.

The front is simple. Remove old. Cut off the tow hooks. Mount valence and bumper.

Luckily a friend was parting out and I took the front for this swap. The valence is a bit beat up but it was complete.

Markers were rewired. First soldered with modified lineman splice, heatshrink and rewrapped with an OEM'esque fabric tape to blend in with the wiring.

Of course, while I have my hands on things I try to make them better. I also clean the electrical connections.

I cannot seem to find my driver's side fog wiring. It was there but when I sold off the iS airdam I believe it went, too. I will need to order new ZKW fog plugs. The originals are damaged and the wires pull out. These are a dollar and change. I feel it is worth the small price.

While digging around, I noticed my horn bracket was rusted to dust. It came off with a push and a pull. I may upgrade the horn of just redo the mount. It uses the same plug as the ZKW fogs. I will order three now, as it has succumb the same damage.

Now add this:

How the front looks mocked up with lip spoiler:

It looks like a step in the wrong direction, doesn't it? Wife was displeased. In time....

The lip attaches with four sscrews it seems. I am waiting on word for the install directions which would have been included originally. What is the best method to install the kit?

Oil cooler was whacked at some point and bent up and is now on an angle. Hopefully M30 swap fixes that?

That is the front in a nutshell.
                      Last edited by TimeMachinE30; 07-21-2015, 08:20 PM.

Comment

I will need to order new ZKW fog plugs. The originals are damaged and the wires pull out. These are a dollar and change. I feel it is worth the small price.

What is the P/N for these connectors?

Oil cooler was whacked at some point and bent up and is now on an angle.
                        Check your brackets. My coupe brackets held the cooler perpendicular to the ground but my convertible brackets hold it at an angle. No clue as to why. Different years, different trims, but at any rate the angles were different from the factory. Neither set of brackets was bent.

Convertible bracket angle:

Coupe bracket angle (looks up-tilted in the top picture but it is the angle of the photo):

Note the angled bracket in the coupe install. Convertible brackets are a different angle.
                        Last edited by phenryiv1; 07-22-2015, 08:12 AM.
                        Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

I have the part number written down in the garage but am out of town. This should be it. Satisfying the ZKW and the horn plug at least:

I need to look more at the oil cooler. The small grille does not fit with the angled oil cooler. Do you have plastics, ya?

Comment

I have plastics and the late valance. You don't usually see people use the top (blockoff) section when you have the oil cooler and the lower part is the vented piece.

Blockoff section was included with my set but there was not an attachment point on the valance. I see some people use them with plastics but it blocks air flow. It looks like your ACS part also lacks an attachment point for the upper part. The blockoff has tabs that can catch on the back of the opening but mine did not grip well, making the decision to leave it off easier.

In your case it looks like a glaring opening because your inner parts are white, not black. If you want to leave it open I suggest low-gloss black spray paint to help mask the mechanicals behind the valance.

Bad pictures but you get the idea.
                            Last edited by phenryiv1; 07-22-2015, 10:22 AM.
                            Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

You will need truck loads of unicorn bait to find those ACS skirts. Its been years since Ive seen them for sale and if/when they do...GONE! I wish you luck.

COTM

Comment

Working...
                              X