The Almost Fully Garage Built E30- Budget Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Almost Fully Garage Built E30- Budget Build

I'm Rei pronounced like Ray. This is my first thread here and I decided to finally start a build thread to keep track of everything I've done and all the screaming and cursing I've been through. I have a 1987 zinno red e30 sedan that i purchased from a friend a while back. As my daily, I have an e39 530i m package with m parallels and a set of style 5s in the winter. Continuing with the e30..... Considering i purchased it for 500 bucks, it is kind of beat up although the body and paint is really not too bad. The car was previously "modified and stripped", but really it was i believe just a really shitty running stroker eta. When I got it, it wouldn't stay running, it had no fan whatsoever, and it backfired from the continuous misfiring. After a while, I am starting a build thread considering I am finally starting to get a lot done on it, on my terms anyway.

As of the moment, I have installed an eta motor just to get by. I believe the transfer pump is bad due to not getting any fuel even though the fuel pump runs. I have ordered a fuel cell to install instead since the old garbage tank is really getting on my nerves.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Downshift-E30; 01-02-2016, 02:47 PM.
    R&M Performance Auto Care
    Daily: 03' 530i
    Project: 87' 325e race/track car
    BMW Gearhead/Tech

UPDATE: m20b25 acquired and head removed off of the motor. Halfway done removing the gas tank to install fuel cell. Also, diff fluid is going to be changed tomorrow! Pics coming soon!
    BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Gas tank and body fixing

So of course, i ran into some trouble with the gas tank, hoping i can use my round head socket by irwin to remove the old rusty 13mm bolts that are left, 4 to be exact. My new tank came in though and it looks super nice even though an ebay piece. (It was going to be a budget build didnt I say? but this one probably weighed about 15 pounds with the box and Styrofoam and packaging which is awesome!

Also, the previous owner from about 2 years ago decided he suddenly went full dumbass and hit something. Good thing is its not that bad, plus this car does not need to be showcar quality as i just want a decent streetcar but mostly a race car for great experience. I will be trying to form it back with my body tool kit i just picked up from harbor freight and then hopefully wont have to use much bondo. Also, the spare tire well will be cut out and the hole in the trunk will be covered and welded to hold the new gas tank and look a little better.

Attached Files
      BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

UPDATE: Factory gas tank removed and fuel cell installed in the trunk! The spare tire well is cut out and installed flat as well! Now i realized one of the terminals on the fuel pump broke off so i went ahead and ordered an inline fuel filter and pump. Should be here within the next 3 days i would say. Also, wired up the electric fan to my switch panel and installed some M pedal covers! I will include some pictures tomorrow as my garage is pretty cold without the heater on today. I think tomorrow I will be working on cutting out the radiator support and trying to create and weld in a removal support for easy access. After that, I will try and sort out the rear quarter body work unfortunately but maybe ill be happy with how it comes out.
        BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Okay guys, so I got just a bit more work done. It's been a while, like 4 or so days maybe and I have some pictures finally! But I did completely remove everything Evap related and stock fuel storage related. I started the an lines from the tank to the fuel filter and if I get some time tomorrow, will have them run to the existing hard fuel line.I plan on eventually getting a fuel rail for my stroker motor that is compatible with an fittings so it's cleaner and easier. I am trying to think of a way to cut out these welds on the radiator support with just a cutoff wheel. Anyone have some insight or tips? Anyway, here are some pics including the ones of my Christmas gift which involved a work bench!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

More work completed finally and looking for some time now to finish up the last of the fuel lines. I went ahead and ordered the piston rings and connecting rods for the seta stroker. I was having a compression issue with the motor currently installed. Drove me crazy while I was at work all day but the valves were so unadjusted that cylinder 1 was stuck slightly open on the exhaust side. Adjusted and now all cylinders are at 140-150! Not bad for an old eta! Now waiting on a coupler to connect my filter to fuel pump and then try and turn it on with open headers.....uhoh
            Next I'll be working on starting the stroker motor build and doing some body work and detailing to this clean yet slightly damaged body. Will have pics up Wednesday night when I actually get some free time. I've been busy trying to schedule school and fix my iPhone.(always broken pos)

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Okay so I had a goal and it got ruined.... No spark or fuel..... I've been going crazy over this. Tested out crank sensor and resistance is good along with Ac voltage when cranking. Coil gets power. But no spark. Anyone have any suggestions. Tested ecu pin outs. So going to get a 20 dollar ecu tomorrow. Also, got a cylinder hone and I will get some pics of my new h beam connecting rods and my new piston rings! For the meanwhile, here's the progress including some hood modification for hood pins!

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Update: Brakes and clutch were bled and I finally fixed the spark issue! Turned out to be the engine harness so I ended up getting it free with a 20 dollar ecu ,what a score right? Some goodies should be here pretty soon and hopefully have this engine running within the next 2 days or so when I get time. Pics coming soon. Also got a pretty sweet tank top!

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Been a week now :(. Sadly I've been fairly busy with work but have some little plans before it comes out to play. Still have yet to paint all the trim black but it is masked up!
                  Also, mounted both front fenders and going to be doing some body work to driver side.
                  Plan is to get some wheels in the next 2 or so weeks and roll it out.
                  Have a euro bumper coming as well to go along with Ac schnitzer front bumper. Rear bumper will be left off and have a custom diffuser. Going to wrap the rear bumper mount to a tree to pull it back and refill body panels. I'm not rich and can't afford good welder or body panels! also waiting on some main bearings and rod bearings!

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

It's been a while now but I do have some goodies that came in. I am still waiting on some cash for one more and have been working on some other business things but I managed to get both strut bars at a good price and installed. Also, the black trim came out great! Soon, I'll be starting the motor build, just waiting for these bearings.... [emoji16]

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Its been a pretty long time as of the last post but I can finally catch up for the record. The car does run is the good part! The bad is its just an eta motor. Here are some pics to catch up. Got everything painted and mounted on starting with side skirts which still need some fixing up to the fenders and the fenders and flares and front euro bumper installed. Also got some smileys from ebay but great quality with hid's.
                      BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Sorry for the gigantic pictures. I will just start posting from my phone now since it is so much easier with the pics on it.

Will be posting progress of the front nrg seats and gauges soon! Trying to keep this thread very steady with progress so I don't overwhelm anyone or myself for that matter!

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Lots of great work done here, keep it up!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                          Transaction feedback
                          - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                            Lots of great work done here, keep it up!

Thanks man! I'm usually very busy doing schoolwork for majoring in engineering or working full time but promise to keep up the progress for this page!!

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Sorry for the delay but I have got a lot going on especially now. Got my 94 c1500 to do rocker repair on and some suspension work for winter and also girlfriend got an e46 330xi which I have to look over and my e39 got some fresh coilovers (may I say how much of a puta they were to do?) but anyway here are some pics of the front for you guys!

Gauges are hooked up as well, just need to bleed the cooling system when I get a chance and check for leaks.

I will show some before and after pics of the e39 once it's actually clean. It doesn't do it any justice when it's filthy but I have not gotten any shady days to clean the black e39. I am a stickler for swirl marks and water spots and I need no more!

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Working...
                              X