How to change a rear wheel bearing on an E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to change a rear wheel bearing on an E30

I felt there wasn't a good DIY out there for changing a rear wheel bearing on an E30, so I put one together.

A rear wheel bearing job, dependent on which tools you have can either be a fairly painless job, or rather difficult. What you will need to make it easy is: Basic range of wrenches Plenty of 3/8 extensions Socket set with ratchets Hex Key Bit Socket Set or Torx key bit socket set (depending on bolt

Enjoy.
    Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Awesome! Looks great!
    Estoguy
    1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Looks like OEM tools just ripped off SIR tools; they copied their B90 tool.

Still not cheap, but a significant difference between the B90 at $700 and Oemtools at $316.05.

Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Comment

^ harbor freight sells a version of that kit for $110. Called the "FWD wheel bearing kit"

This is a very satisfying job to do

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
            ^ harbor freight sells a version of that kit for $110. Called the "FWD wheel bearing kit"

This is a very satisfying job to do
            They do, as do many other makers. FWD kits don't include the horseshoe hub remover (which you dont really need if you're using a slide hammer). The HF tool also has a soft forcing screw; something that might not be a big concern if you're only doing the job once, or don't care about exchanging it.

A lot of parts stores rent FWD kits for free (with deposit).

The B90 tool is generally more complete for Euro cars than most FWD kits, so if its a long term investment, it makes sense since you can use it on other euros.

Comment

very clear instructions thanks!!

Comment

Nice write up and just used this yesterday. But I rented the slide hammer hub puller from Advance Auto, here it didnt fit the 4x100 bolt pattern. Without modifying their part and some hoe handle engineering I made it work. But looking on line at others they don't specify that they go down to that small of pattern. I did notice some had two flanges in them.

1992 BMW 325iC
                1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

props for a proper write up!

87 325es - M50 Boosted - Link to BUILD THREAD
                  07 328xi wagon 6mt - daily

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                    Nice write up and just used this yesterday. But I rented the slide hammer hub puller from Advance Auto, here it didnt fit the 4x100 bolt pattern. Without modifying their part and some hoe handle engineering I made it work. But looking on line at others they don't specify that they go down to that small of pattern. I did notice some had two flanges in them.
                    When I did mine I had to rent the slide hammer and hub adapter as two separate items. There were two different sized hub adapters and of course I got the wrong one the first time. This is what worked for me.

Got it from Autozone

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                      When I did mine I had to rent the slide hammer and hub adapter as two separate items. There were two different sized hub adapters and of course I got the wrong one the first time. This is what worked for me.

Got it from Autozone
                      Some kits come with both hub adapters some don't, before buying or walking out of the rental place, definitely confirm you have the hub adapter you need.

Comment

Great write up. The only thing I would suggest is adding to step 14 (reinstalling the hub) to support the backside of the bearing (re: step 11, length of green line) when pressing the hub in. I failed to do this my first time and pushed the inner bearing race apart.
                        My Feedback

Comment

Working...
                        X