M20 Misfire (Please help....)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by structured View Post
    There should be a pin on the crankshaft flange and a hole in the hub of the damper. This forces you to put it on the correct way. If you can't see that pin, something is wrong.

EDIT: Just realized that you are the one who wants to jb weld it together. If you look at the pictures in my other thread, you should be able to approximate how the two pieces align. I would assume that this needs to be pretty exact though. If not, your car will "think" that the timing is off.

EDIT AGAIN: You can't see the location of the missing teeth in the other thread. I'll see if I have a better picture.
    Cool, thanks.

Comment

I found out that the bentley manual has a picture. The first tooth after the gap (in the direction the engine spins) lines up exactly with the marking on the other side for TDC.

Comment

my harmonic balancer does not have any play in it, but i'll check alignment between the teeth & the tdc mark to see if it is on point.
        Originally posted by Dozyproductions
        You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by quikveedb2 View Post
          my harmonic balancer does not have any play in it, but i'll check alignment between the teeth & the tdc mark to see if it is on point.
          Please do. Right now I'm not sure if the mark lines up with a hill or valley on the toothed wheel because there are 2 pictures of it in different chapters in the bentley and it looks different in each one.

Comment

it's been really nice this week so i've just been riding my bike everywhere, but i ordered a new ignition coil, rotor, & cap (my coil tested high for primary resistance yesterday and all of the parts look like they've been on since '87), and i'm going to finally send back the cps that pelican sent me that was wrong today as well. i guess i might as well change my oil this afternoon, since i've got all the stuff. i'll check the harmonic balancer tooth orientation when i do.
            You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

ok i've been following this thread for a bit now, and I just fixed my issue.
              it had to do with my charcoal canister purge valve (it wasn't connected)
              here is my thread I literally just started and thanks to the guru's it all resolved
              issue: Insane vaccum leaks and misfire upon acceleration unless you 'coax' the accelerator
              resolution....purge valve disconnected from TB

here is the thread for reference--> http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=148657

(OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO) ///Motorsport
              In this world, things aren't black & white. Its Delphin!

Parts, Buy Them--> http://picasaweb.google.com/transatl...eat=directlink

Snowboard & video game stuff --> http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=148645

Originally posted by Steve92E34
              Your car is breathing my air, and so are you.
              AND you are both still slow

Comment

+1, its a sneaky bastard. This was the cause of my hard starts. You really almost need the car in the air to find the nipple. It sits where the throttle body and intake mani meet. Hope it helps guys.
                90 m20is

Comment

I JB welded the harmonic balancer back together and my car is running better than it ever has before!

Comment

Damn it looks like i need to look to the harmonic balancer. With all the parts I replaced on this engine it damn better run like new!
                    Originally posted by ebelements
                    Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

Comment

Originally posted by quailane View Post
                      i jb welded the harmonic balancer back together and my car is running better than it ever has before!

yay!!!!!!!!

;)

Comment

yay!!!!!!!!

;)
                        Yeah, it revs higher and has a lot more low end torque.

Originally posted by sticksdaman View Post
                        Damn it looks like i need to look to the harmonic balancer. With all the parts I replaced on this engine it damn better run like new!
                        Mine wasn't very wiggly at all but with some force it could be spun independent of the crank.

Comment

I actually experienced the same thing. Felt like I gained 15 horsepower. Could've just been my unbridled enthusiasm for diagnosing and fixing the problem myself though.

Comment

Originally posted by Quailane View Post
                            Mine wasn't very wiggly at all but with some force it could be spun independent of the crank.
                            So, did you actually removed the damper to inspect it? Do you mean that the inner and outer disks (both parts of the damper) were spinning independently?

Comment

I actually experienced the same thing. Felt like I gained 15 horsepower. Could've just been my unbridled enthusiasm for diagnosing and fixing the problem myself though.
                              If the spark was firing at the wrong time it would definitely decrease horsepower.

So, did you actually removed the damper to inspect it? Do you mean that the inner and outer disks (both parts of the damper) were spinning independently?
                              I inspected it on the car. I could move the toothed wheel around with some force while the back part of the vibration dampner was still fixed to the crank and did not move.

Comment

Originally posted by Quailane View Post
                                I inspected it on the car. I could move the toothed wheel around with some force while the back part of the vibration dampner was still fixed to the crank and did not move.
                                you jb welded your back together correct? what did you find was the proper orientation of the toothed portion of the balancer? i'm going to install my ignition coil, cap, & rotor this afternoon if the weather clears up & i'd like to check the condition of my balancer to see if the toothed portion is in the right place. as i said before i cannot get it to move by hand but i still suspect that the fusion between the front & back of it has broken down & is causing the ignition event to be incorrectly timed, hence; terrible debilitating misfire.

coil, cap, and rotor fixed my problem, at least i've got a shit ton of new parts & maintenance items done to show for m
                                Last edited by quikveedb2; 09-13-2009, 11:21 AM. Reason: fucking fixed it!

Comment

Working...
                                X