STX competitive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STX competitive

Hey guys, I'm trying to become more active in SCCA solo. Unfortunately I have a 325es. So I have some questions for you guys. What would/ can I do to be competitive against the WRX's and Mini's? Would it be legal to swap an is into an ES? Also, it says 9" wheels are allowed but you can't modify the fender, could I fit 9" wheels under the fenders without a roll/pull?

Thanks for the help

I'm pretty sure engine swaps kick you to SM, so your kinda out of luck there.

As far as I know you can't really fit 9" wide wheels with a big enough tire to warant having a 9" wheel vs an 8.

You may want to check out this thread, although it hasn't been updated in a while. Still lots of good info.

Comment

I already read through that thread. So what could I race in my 325es and be competitive?

Comment

What classes have you raced in previously?
        '87 325is - Schwarz/Schwarz

Comment

Originally posted by 04nhbpep3 View Post
          I already read through that thread. So what could I race in my 325es and be competitive?
          Ummm... how much money do you have? lol hate to say it, but I don't see much. STX hasn't really been proven well even for an 'i' car. SM may be doable as your allowed an engine swap, but it would require a lot of other work as well. DSP has been done, but again starting with an eta isn't going to get you far. Prepared means turning the car into a dedicated racecar and a lot of money/time developing the car. Your best bet may actually be G-stock, as that is where the E30 was moved for this year. But that means your only allowed shocks/struts (not springs), exhaust, and a swaybar change (but not both). Also R-comps, or you can run street tires and run in the new RTR class (Road Tire RWD).

Comment

Originally posted by Komzorz View Post
            What classes have you raced in previously?

Well, I have a 02 WRX also. I've been running that in STX/STU.

Originally posted by Nsquared97 View Post
            Ummm... how much money do you have? lol hate to say it, but I don't see much. STX hasn't really been proven well even for an 'i' car. SM may be doable as your allowed an engine swap, but it would require a lot of other work as well. DSP has been done, but again starting with an eta isn't going to get you far. Prepared means turning the car into a dedicated racecar and a lot of money/time developing the car. Your best bet may actually be G-stock, as that is where the E30 was moved for this year. But that means your only allowed shocks/struts (not springs), exhaust, and a swaybar change (but not both). Also R-comps, or you can run street tires and run in the new RTR class (Road Tire RWD).
            Not much at all, as I'm still in college. I'm debating running it in G stock. Are motor mounts allowed to be changed?

Comment

G-stock is where I'm at now. Without looking at the rules, I *think* motor mounts are only allowed to be swapped with rubber replacements, no poly/solid mounts. But honestly, if those are the only thing that isn't stock on your car, imo it isn't a big deal. Unless your racing nationally, nobody will care or even know, and it's not like they are going to help your times at all.

Comment

I dont know of any class where the normal e30 would be competetive (especially a eta) I have a 325i sedan that ive been doing some work to and plan to auto-x later this year. I have a set of "is" springs and shocks that im going to put in, as well as some decent brake pads. Im also putting on a conical air filter, which im pretty sure puts it out of the stock class, but the supersprint cat back already does that. I plan on going out and just having fun, which is really the point.

Comment

Originally posted by thatguyMatt View Post
                  I plan on going out and just having fun, which is really the point.
                  This. Always, always keep this in mind.

But, a catback does NOT kick you out of stock classes, you can do anything you want after the cat. Cone filter won't really give you any worthwhile improvement, so I would say just leave it factory so you can stay in stock.

Comment

I run my 325e in SM. The ST classes, and the PAX jabbering was not for me. I hated my steering, and upgraded to E36, which bounced me right into SM, but its been good so far. I am not out there for anything but fun, and see how far a N/A 325e can be tweaked. I usually run against pony cars with suspension mods in SM around here, and usually beat them since they usually have major traction problems. Not sure what kind of beasts show up in SM in VA, but the mods available in SM are rather wide open.
                    sigpic

2011 335i/1995 Mercedes C220 (rallyx)

Comment

Working...
                    X