coupe or sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave View Post
    My thought is that your bar is bent in some way. If its new and you got it from VSR, I'd call them and get their input - they would know best.

I put a Kirk bar in my 4 door late model 325i - it fit perfectly.
    I was thinking that might be the case, but hoping it wasn't. I bought the bar used from a guy in Massachusetts. I will contact him and ask.

The Kirk roll bar is for 2 and 4 door cars correct?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by BillBrasky
    E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
    1991 318i Alpine II - S50/5-lug swapped - track car
    1989 325i Cirrusblau - Daily
    1970 2500 - Malaga over Grey Cloth
    2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

I bought mine used - came out of a 2 door. I put it in a 4 door. They should all be the same. The only difference in e30s from 2 to 4 door is the exterior sheetmetal on the sides where the doors are.
      Current Cars
      2014 M235i
      2009 R56 Cooper S
      1998 M3
      1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by BenM View Post
        Last night I attempted to fit a newly acquired VSR Roll Bar to my '91 4dr. 318i and ran into an issue. The rear plates that are supposed to bolt to the wheel arches are way off position, as in too far inward. Unless the rear wheel arches are different, I can't figure out why the rear plates don't sit right.

Thoughts?

This looks wrong to me for some reason. Why is the horizontal bar behind the driver bowed outward and not inward?

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
          This looks wrong to me for some reason. Why is the horizontal bar behind the driver bowed outward and not inward?
          I believe an older design to provide more seat adjust ability.

Spoke with my dad, he suggested heating it up and manipulating it that way.
          Originally posted by BillBrasky
          E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
          1991 318i Alpine II - S50/5-lug swapped - track car
          1989 325i Cirrusblau - Daily
          1970 2500 - Malaga over Grey Cloth
          2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
            That's what I was thinking.

I get that cages are generally for stripped track cars, just putting the idea out there for a non-intrusive cage. If you don't have intrusive rear door bars and people can get in and out through the rear doors, I don't see why people wouldn't sit back there. A non-intrusive cage could still add a good deal of rigidity (and possibly safety), and I like being able to haul people around when it's called for. The E30 is my only car, it's not the roomiest thing around but it can seat 4 when you want it to. I'd like to keep it that way, and have the added rigidity as a plus.

Having recently ridden in a coupe with good bushings and struts and H&R race (as opposed to my stock worn out crap), it actually seems like the E30 is decently rigid, but you can never have too much. Call me a chassis freak.
            if its your only car, you don't need a cage in it. are you going to take the championship in light to light racing or something?
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              if its your only car, you don't need a cage in it. are you going to take the championship in light to light racing or something?
              Nah, I just like to park really hard. ;)

Comment

I get that cages are generally for stripped track cars, just putting the idea out there for a non-intrusive cage. If you don't have intrusive rear door bars and people can get in and out through the rear doors, I don't see why people wouldn't sit back there. A non-intrusive cage could still add a good deal of rigidity (and possibly safety), and I like being able to haul people around when it's called for. The E30 is my only car, it's not the roomiest thing around but it can seat 4 when you want it to. I'd like to keep it that way, and have the added rigidity as a plus.

Having recently ridden in a coupe with good bushings and struts and H&R race (as opposed to my stock worn out crap), it actually seems like the E30 is decently rigid, but you can never have too much. Call me a chassis freak.
                If you want a race car, get a fucking race car. If you're driving your car around with your friends in the back don't be a retard. Try replacing some basic maintenance parts and see how stiff your car feels then.
                '89 325is S50 Track Montser
                '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

http://www.avarestoration.com

http://www.myspace.com/brendanfiddle

Click here if you want to be my zombie slave...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fidhle007

Comment

yeah having a cage/roll bar should make your rear seats useless for passengers
                  :borg:

Comment

What rear seat?
                    '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by Fidhle007 View Post
                      If you want a race car, get a fucking race car. If you're driving your car around with your friends in the back don't be a retard. Try replacing some basic maintenance parts and see how stiff your car feels then.
                      When did I say I was going to do it? I was just running the idea by people because it's something I've wondered about for awhile. Nothing wrong with a double duty car, if you can keep the bars out of the way. Obviously it would be no small chore to do so (and no cross bars would sort of defeat some of the purpose), so chalk it up to pipe dreams.

Comment

That's ridiculous. You cannot have passengers in the back seat with a cage. They will die.

And seriously, you put people in the back seat? I feel bad putting a kid back there if there's no room in the front.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

Originally posted by Asbradley21 View Post
                          That's ridiculous. You cannot have passengers in the back seat with a cage. They will die.
                          That's kind of the point of the unobtrusive cage idea, make it so they won't... but I really hadn't thought it through.. at all.

And seriously, you put people in the back seat? I feel bad putting a kid back there if there's no room in the front.
                          I've hauled around 3 passengers many a time.

Comment

that works when it's you and your 20-something friends. Doesn't work when it's you, your wife and your mother/father-in-law. Hell, even my work friends don't want to ride in the back. can't say I blame them.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

That's kind of the point of the unobtrusive cage idea, make it so they won't...
                              a cage is obtrusive, period. there is no unobtrusive cage. not one that works as a cage anyways.
                              '12 F30 328i Sport Line
                              '91 SpecE30 #523
                              '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

A cage without crossbars would just be more metal to break into sharp edges when you crash racing your buddies to Taco Bell. The level of safety you'd gain by installing an "unobtrusive" cage would be marginal at best, and stiffness wouldn't be improved at all. It's weight and a hazard and pointless.
                                '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

Comment

Working...
                                X