No announcement yet.

any time attack e30's out there ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sounds like you have a good plan. i'd highly recommend you look into nasa. they have a good path from hpde to tt to w2w.
    '12 F30 328i Sport Line
    '91 SpecE30 #523
    '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

Originally posted by GotCone? View Post
      I'm working on an E30 for Nasa TT.

It's a white 325is that I put together for a friend for a track toy, now the goal is to actually get it out in the midwest for NASA TT events either next year, or sort things next year for the year following.

I'm extra excited as I'll be one of the drivers too!

So I will be saying a farewell of sorts to autox for '10 as I will focus more on lapping/track-time.

Should be fun. We've got great support, a good sponsor, and by next spring a strong M20 :)

you have any tips on suspension tuning for me or is it all trial and error
      :borg:

Comment

Good luck to you! I hope to do this sometime in the future as well having done hpde events in the past, a couple more of those hopefully go for TT before I become too old lol.

Going against your own time, trying to shave those seconds is fun w/o having to deal with traffic or other cars :)
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

haha i thought this was gona be about wheels

Comment

Originally posted by !kid View Post
            start with good parts. AST's are about the best out there at their price point.

You'll be glad your on them over any koni based setup when you don't have to service them as often and they soak up bumps in the track SOO MUCH better.

PM me if you want further setup advice.
            Build : Das Drehmoment Ungeheuer

Comment

The simplest solution is to run TMS J-Stock springs with their custom-valved Bilstein dampers. You give up adjustability, but you gain by having a proven set-up that works very, very well. Between your camber/caster plates, adjustable sway bars, and tire pressures, you'll still maintain a reasonable degree of adjustability to fine-tune the car's handling balance. But at least you'll know the basics are taken care of: you won't be able to throw the suspension totally out of whack.

From what I've seen, newish drivers are frequently overwhelmed by the range of adjustments available in a typical coilover suspension setup. Oftentimes, the car ends up handling pretty badly. When instructing at BMW CCA events, I've been in the passenger seat of student cars with badly adjusted Ground Control suspensions that were really out of shape. The cars would have been faster and easier to drive had the owners left the suspension adjustments alone.

Since you're new to competition, you might be better off with a proven off-the-shelf setup by Turner. You'll have one fewer thing to worry about.
              sigpic
              1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
              2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

Originally posted by Emre View Post
                Since you're new to competition, you might be better off with a proven off-the-shelf setup

thats why i first thought of going with a spec e30 setup

thanks for your input !!!!

Comment

when i hear "time attack" i think "JDM douchbag stuff"
                  97 tacoma 5 spd 4 cylinder
                  2001 330ci 5 speed
                  83 733i 5 speed, (FS)

Comment

Originally posted by TopOfTheLine89 View Post
                    when i hear "time attack" i think "JDM douchbag stuff"
                    this from a drifter.. ROFLMAO!!!

Comment

thats why i first thought of going with a spec e30 setup
                      If you are not racing spec e30, why waste the money?

When you buy a set of coilovers with your selected spring rate from a reputable company they will send you (and tell you) base line for where the dampers should be adjusted at those spring rates. Keep good notes on setup changes, you can always go back. Vendors are usually very helpful and will give advice on things to try, so will other people. Keep in mind things to try, what works for them may not work for you, if the car feels like crap, change it! Change one thing at a time, keep good notes on the effect. It will take a while to get it dialed in, but you'll beable to look back at your notes when you want to make a change.

Comment

Originally posted by AlarmedBread View Post
                        If you are not racing spec e30, why waste the money?

When you buy a set of coilovers with your selected spring rate from a reputable company they will send you (and tell you) base line for where the dampers should be adjusted at those spring rates. Keep good notes on setup changes, you can always go back. Vendors are usually very helpful and will give advice on things to try, so will other people. Keep in mind things to try, what works for them may not work for you, if the car feels like crap, change it! Change one thing at a time, keep good notes on the effect. It will take a while to get it dialed in, but you'll beable to look back at your notes when you want to make a change.

iam thinking of traying to save up for a the TMS j-stock set. but ill see, iam trying to do alot of reading online to find a good starting point.

Comment

j-stock isn't a good place to start imho.

Comment

this from a drifter.. ROFLMAO!!!
                            '12 F30 328i Sport Line
                            '91 SpecE30 #523

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

One thing I can say about time trial events is that drivers tend to skimp on safety items. sure, it is not w2w but the speeds are up there and your pushing the limit more so than in an HPDE. Please invest in the proper safety gear first, at the very least, rollbar, fixed back seats, 5 or 6 pt harnesses and an hnr device.
                              '12 F30 328i Sport Line
                              '91 SpecE30 #523

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

j-stock isn't a good place to start imho.

why is that ?

Comment

Working...
                                X