X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subscribed

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      If the head is in good condition, you can use 0.006" for the intakes and 0.008" for the exhausts. That gives fractionally more valve opening and a slightly longer duration, yielding slightly better performance. Not that you'd be able to tell from driving, but it will show up on the dyno.

If you don't have a spring tool, the problem in adjusting the valves is the subjective judgement as to how much drag on the feeler is correct. With a spring tool the results are the same every time. As a bonus using a spring is way faster.
      So the spring tool is better than using a coat hanger tool? ;)
      90 325i DD/Track
      03 Durango 5.9

Originally posted by e30mpg
      It is recommended to get new gasket but this is R3v and we just copper spray that shit......slap biotch on and tighten to tq.

Comment

Absolutely. It removes the subjective judgement of how much drag on the feeler is correct.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
          Absolutely. It removes the subjective judgement of how much drag on the feeler is correct.
          I know, I was just being a smartass, mostly. Though the coat hanger works better and flexes more than a wrench. The spring tool makes it much easier and faster.
          90 325i DD/Track
          03 Durango 5.9

Originally posted by e30mpg
          It is recommended to get new gasket but this is R3v and we just copper spray that shit......slap biotch on and tighten to tq.

Comment

Oh I see. Now that would make sense. Thanks guythhs

Comment

Ticking doesn't mean anything but worn out parts. M20s are known for ticking because the rocker arms tap on the valves, and quite a few of the components in the valvetrain are wear items. The M30s valve train will need new parts over time and mileage.

Comment

That's what I was saying! Thanks ms julesy.

Comment

Update: I just set them to .008 intake/.009 exhaust and I'm keeping it here. My idle isn't rough or loud. The performance is still kinda there. But I like it (205,000 mi.)

Comment

Originally posted by nickmcc92 View Post
                    Update: I just set them to .008 intake/.009 exhaust and I'm keeping it here. My idle isn't rough or loud. The performance is still kinda there. But I like it (205,000 mi.)
                    Hi,

Set mine according to this and she is purring like a Tiger. Idle is a bit rough, but very quiet and performance is there... Thanks a million

Comment

Has anyone tried valve lash caps?
                      Originally posted by Matt-B
                      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

FYI you can crank the engine over by jumping pins on the plug in the engine bay, think it's 11 and 14 if memory serves, ignition off. Also spring tool makes it a breeze.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
                        -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

I set mine to .008 when it was warm and put in bosch gen threes. Pulls like a mule smoking meth and youcan barely here it at idle.

Comment

so this spring tool..... i put it in the eccentric hole. while my feeler gauge is in i tightened the eccentric with the tool and stop when??? when it just starts to break or let it bend how far?

Comment

You loosen the eccentric, place feeler gauge between eccentric and valve, place spring tool into hole, bend 45 degrees, tighten eccentric, move onto the next one.

Tool is not used to tighten the eccentric just put proper pressure on the feeler gauge.
                              Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
                              Last edited by FLG; 12-02-2013, 11:31 PM.
                              -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

I understand it's purpose I just feel it wouldn't entirely take out all the judgment. But okay, so you keep turning eccentric til the spring tool bends to a 45 degrees angle. Sounds good

Comment

Working...
                                X