No announcement yet.

M20 Gates Racing Belt Coming Soon.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright so here is the latest update from the Gates Representative, basically answered most of you guys question regarding service interval and any other questions you may have had and a bit more info regarding Contitech Belts not being the OE supplier to BMW etc..

"Hey Jared,
    Been reading your forum thread. I’m glad the guys out there are interested. I did see this one quote from one of the posters regarding the service interval of the belt and I wanted to comment:

sometimes (usually) you don't get the same % increase in longevity as you do with % increase in static strength.

This is pretty much the best way to look at it. The racing belt will be stronger than the OE belt by an OBSCENE amount. The original OE belt construction called for a high temp version of standard Neoprene rubber, something that was probably considered cutting edge in the early 80s when the belt was initially going into production but today it falls woefully short of modern expectations. This is something I try to stress to people when they are considering an aftermarket vs. OE belt. In the aftermarket we are not limited by the OE recipe, so to speak. We use it as a starting point, but if a better construction method or materials come along, then we can make changes to the product line that reflect that. Buying the OE timing belt just means you’re buying 1980s chemistry, but this is the 21st century. Also, incidentally, Gates was OE on this belt out of our plant in Aachen, not Contitech. Conti gets a lot of credit for being OE on European applications that are actually Gates OE projects. I guess because they are a European brand so people assume they are OE on everything European?

But I’m digressing, so let me get back to the point. The racing belt we will make is going to be a whole heap stronger than the OE belt. Better rubber, better cure process, better tensile cord, Kevlar reinforcement, the works. Static strength will be much increased. Even longevity should be increased, but that’s where I have to qualify my statement. Because this is not the OE belt, and we assume you guys are putting this belt on vehicles that have been modified, it is nearly impossible for me to give you a standard replacement interval. There are too many variables: modifications, different engine outputs, different uses/driving habits. Obviously a guy who leaves the car nearly stock and drives to church on Sunday is going to see more belt life than a guy who puts a huge blower on the engine, maybe a squirt of nitrous, a flux capacitor, a warp drive, etc etc.

Long story short, I like to say that the racing belt should last the normal OE replacement interval even after you modify the vehicle. Can it and will it go longer? Sure, its possible. But I can’t promise you something like that for the usual corporate liability reasons.

Another thing to consider is that the Gates racing belts are optimized for strength and durability in high horsepower and high torque applications. They are not optimized for other types of performance. So, if you put a racing belt on your vehicle and then you notice some timing belt noise, that is a compromise you might have to accept. We have heard complaints from some Audi/VW folks. An enthusiast will install one of our racing belts and then say that they get timing belt noise for the first 10 minutes until the drive gets up to temp. I remind these guys when I come into contact with them that the OE belt is optimized for all types of performance: power delivery, belt life, NVH control, cost, etc. When you buy a Gates racing product, you are buying something that is different from the OE construction and in some cases you will be sacrificing some of those optimized characteristics (most often NVH control and lower cost). Usually folks in the performance community understand this, but I just wanted to be above board. I’d say most of the time that noise complaints aren’t an issue, cost though…well…its usually higher. Sorry about that.

Also the “belt specs” I was referring to in my earlier email don’t refer to performance metrics, but the boring engineer type stuff like pitch length differential, cord winding tension, and all of the other things we have to dial in to make sure that the different materials we are using don’t result in a belt that is not compatible with your drive. The basic performance metrics you’ve seen before in reference to Gates racing timing belts will still apply. Your mileage may vary based on what else you do to the vehicle, but I’d love to hear any feedback once we get the belt out to you.

I’ll follow up with my engineer today and see where we are on creating a spec sheet and I’ll keep in touch when I have updates. Thanks again for contacting us."

Comment

Since you have their attention on this thread I will voice up my interest on this as well. 8^)
      My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
      4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

You should ask gates what's the deal with tensioners for these, would it be compatible with an OE tensioner? ( also who is the OE tensioner supplier?) or does a racing belt require a different tensioner from Gates? I only like to use OE timing belt stuff because it's a vital area in the m20 but the proven reliable OE parts are cheap and readibly available. So far I can see the racing belts advantage it a high heat environment like a turbo build but outside of that i want to know why use the racing belt over a standard gates replacement belt (if that is the OE belt. The only thing the OE belts suffer from is a short replacement interval, if the raving belt doesnt change that I'm not sure I'd would be inclined to spend 3 to 4 times as much on belt changes every couple years.
        Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
        Bimmerbuddies LLC
        717-388-1256
        2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
        bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

I'm in for one.

Comment

Nice to see gates taking an interest like they are. Hopefully they make it by the end of the year so I have a winter project

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
            -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

I would absolutely want one of these on my vehicle. Timing belt durability is a huge worry of mine, founded or unfounded as it may be.

Comment

im in as well! I work at NAPA and we carry gates products so I'm sure we could have access to these as well. I might even be up for giving the rev guys a discount

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeE30 View Post
                  You should ask gates what's the deal with tensioners for these, would it be compatible with an OE tensioner? ( also who is the OE tensioner supplier?) or does a racing belt require a different tensioner from Gates? I only like to use OE timing belt stuff because it's a vital area in the m20 but the proven reliable OE parts are cheap and readibly available. So far I can see the racing belts advantage it a high heat environment like a turbo build but outside of that i want to know why use the racing belt over a standard gates replacement belt (if that is the OE belt. The only thing the OE belts suffer from is a short replacement interval, if the raving belt doesn't change that I'm not sure I'd would be inclined to spend 3 to 4 times as much on belt changes every couple years.
                  Proven parts? Are you trying to imply Gates doesn't make proven parts?

The Tensioner would be the same. Out of all the Racing Belts I installed on the VW and Audis I never used different tensioner's idlers, rollers etc.. I don't really see your reasoning as to why the tensioner would need to be different.

And not sure if you read this part

From above:

"The racing belt we will make is going to be a whole heap stronger than the OE belt. Better rubber, better cure process, better tensile cord, Kevlar reinforcement, the works. Static strength will be much increased. Even longevity should be increased, but that’s where I have to qualify my statement. Because this is not the OE belt, and we assume you guys are putting this belt on vehicles that have been modified, it is nearly impossible for me to give you a standard replacement interval. There are too many variables: modifications, different engine outputs, different uses/driving habits. Obviously a guy who leaves the car nearly stock and drives to church on Sunday is going to see more belt life than a guy who puts a huge blower on the engine, maybe a squirt of nitrous, a flux capacitor, a warp drive, etc etc.

Long story short, I like to say that the racing belt should last the normal OE replacement interval even after you modify the vehicle. Can it and will it go longer? Sure, its possible. But I can’t promise you something like that for the usual corporate liability reasons."

^

I understand their point of view it's not like they have an E30 laying around, gonna slap a good ole racing belt on it and drive it around for 10 years and see if its still good lol

Personally I've seen the OE belt go 6 years and counting with no issues I've also seen then fail prior to the 4 year mark

But All in all like the Rep is clearly stating its really more geared towards high HP and Torque applications

Honestly only time will tell regarding the service interval, I'll do my own testing with it as soon as I get one I'll slap it on my DD e30 as well as my turbo M20.

So basically if all you have is a stock M20 then cost wise yeah it might not be worth it, but we dont know that yet, l'n a DD it may last 8 years like I said only time will tell

I will ask the Rep regarding who the OE tensioner supplier is but basically this is what he responded to me about regarding the Contitech belt comment.

"
                  Also with the BMW (and other manufacturers) OE belts thing, just to clarify, it varies by vehicle platform and product. So we might be OE on the serpentine belt, but not the timing belt or vice versa. Or sometimes we might split the business, like we might get 60% of the volume and Conti or Dayco might get the rest. Then that can change over time. It can even change from OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) to OES (Original Equipment Service). So we might be OEM on the belt, but what you buy OES from a dealer could be Dayco. Kinda crazy, but what I like to point out to people is that because we have that strong OE relationship around the globe, we always have a seat at the table when these guys are designing their belt drive systems and our engineers get input. So we know what the specs are and how to build the belt, even if we aren’t OE on a particular application. But like you said, we are OE around the globe. With everyone from Fiat and Ford to Honda and Hyundai. We have more than 50 factories around the planet. We like to build in the same geographic areas that the vehicle construction and research takes place, but we also do lots of independent development work in our 6 tech centers around the globe. At our facility in Rochester Hills, Michigan, for example, we buy lot of dirt. VW gave us some OE business on a car in Europe and then brought that same car to India only to find out that the belts were failing. They wanted to know why the OE belt we sold them in Europe was exceeding the mileage interval but failing very quickly in India. The answer was that the dirt in India was different than in Europe. It was getting between the pulleys and the belts and creating a problem. So we had to buy dirt from India to test new belt constructions until we got it right.

As for building a timing belt, those things are actually pretty complex and the process is really cool. We have over 150 unique constructions for the aftermarket alone. It’s not just a piece of rubber, that’s for sure."

Comment

Originally posted by dustyperez View Post
                    im in as well! I work at NAPA and we carry gates products so I'm sure we could have access to these as well. I might even be up for giving the rev guys a discount
                    All the other links of suppliers I gave to him which hes passing on to the Reps in Sales, I guess they would have to get in touch with a sales rep from NAPA or the like I couldn't see all NAPAs carrying this type of Belt even a single store would be a rarity but worth a shot none the less

Does NAPA have online ordering?

Comment

I'd think anyone with a hotter than stock cam would want one of these. Also, even if it was $100, that's $100 spread out over four years. 50¢ a week. That's kinda worth it.
                      Originally posted by Andy.B
                      Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                      1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                      ~~~~~~~~~~
                      I was born on 3/25…
                      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

yes napa has online ordering, and im sayin if gates will stock it then we will prolly have overnight access to it. And to be honest if you guys wanna buy from me or something I could have the boss put a few in stock so we always have some on hand. and like i said maybe even offer a discount depending of course

Comment

I'd love to get one. That would be a great product for the e30 community. I'd buy one for my next belt. If I gad nt already got all the parts for everything to do it I'd wait and get it but I've put it off for too long. Regardless I'd buy one to have for when I'm ready.
                          Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IveGotIssues666 View Post
                            Proven parts? Are you trying to imply Gates doesn't make proven parts?

The Tensioner would be the same. Out of all the Racing Belts I installed on the VW and Audis I never used different tensioner's idlers, rollers etc.. I don't really see your reasoning as to why the tensioner would need to be different.
                            I'm not saying gates doesn't make quality products I have one of their belts on one of my e30s, I did not however use their tensioner I used a BMW tensioner because the aftermarket tensioners have been known to fail, the start to pull away from the backing plate and cause the belt to angle forward and contact the cover. That's why I was asking about who supplies the OEM tensioner, not that I think a racing belt would require a special tensioner just that I wouldn't risk a $30 belt to a aftermarket tensioner so certainly not a even more expensive belt. And their response to who is the OEM tensioner supplier beat around the bush quite a bit and I understand what they were saying but a simple not us would have sufficed if they are unsure. I say that knowing the tensioner in the gates kit i got was not the same as the BMW one had. I have no problem with gates belts at all just want to cover all the bases as there is nothing wrong with the OEM stuff even in racing applications I've never seen a OEM belt fail within its service interval granted most people seem to not take service intervals too seriously so perhaps a better belt would help in that aspect.
                            Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
                            Bimmerbuddies LLC
                            717-388-1256
                            2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
                            bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

I too would be interested in getting one of these... also would tend to agree with the above. we've all seen aftermarket thrive... and we have seen it fail as well as OEM parts. id also be curious on what hardware to use if I were to use this on my car. I think the point tho, in respect to Gates, is that aside from all the "legalities" in making certain claims about the performance of their products, no two people drive their car the same, have the same set up etc etc etc. So as much as we all can sit here and debate service intervals and how Gates belt would or wouldn't perfrom on a stock or modded engine is all kind of well... useless. Just because a part is OEM doesn't mean that it was designed perfectly... doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement and doesn't mean its going to last longer, BUT the same goes for aftermarket companies as well. Nothing can really be said until a product is made, customer tested, and reviewed. That's really it IMO
                              10 minutes... then we invade China.
                              We'll begin with the small town of General Tso's,
                              And move to the Orange chicken province.

Comment

Also interested. I'm about halfway through my service interval
                                - Josh
                                1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
                                Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Working...
                                X