No announcement yet.

ECU Tuning for an OBDII S52 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ah I see. well it wouldn't help anyway since the maps would all be different.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The bins that I uploaded are definitely not stock. I have the original read from my ECU and I can upload it somewhere too if wanted. Its completely unmodified for sure. I am going to redo the EWS, SAP and rear O2s on it to go back to the stock fuel and spark maps. I wouldn't mind getting a copy of the MS41.2 XDF to look at and figure it out a little more if you wouldn't mind 328iJunkie. I'm thinking of going turbo within 5 years on an M3 (the E30 really probably isn't meant for it...) and I want to attempt to learn it myself. What all is defined in it? I have one from RomRaider but everything is uncertain. I also think Im going to use a more steady form of flashing. The quality and software behind the Galletto is a little shaky.

I think someone put you down earlier about the information you gave out Dave. If it weren't for you, I might still have my bin files, but I wouldn't understand nearly as much about them. Thanks for all the help, and still remaining to make money from tuning/reflashing.

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
        I feel as though i have been supportive. I again cant go in there and give away everything that makes me a living at the end of the day but i am helpful if youve read the thread... And nando those files are NOt stock.

Trust me, it wouldn't hurt you. GM has had open source tuning for decades and people still have us tune and buy chips/flashes. A lot of people read these threads and have no idea what a definition, bin hex address is etc. They are just looking for a cheap way to flash out EWS etc when in reality they will spend the same on equipment/time to do it in the first place. In the end, open source and file sharing is what gets these hacks/codes opened up more rapidly.

Think of it this way. We (my friends/shop) have been playing with OBD1 stuff since about 2000 (mostly GM etc), how long was it before only "elite hackers" had chip files for the m20 14yrs ago?
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I have no problem sharing with the 'little guy', my issue is with the people also 'trying to make a buck' off what i have figured out. :P

Check Us out on Facebook
          Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
          Full Product Line Tuning
          OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Dave, they'll do that anyway. Where do you think Hakkentt gets his "tunes"? :p
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I have no problem sharing with the 'little guy', my issue is with the people also 'trying to make a buck' off what i have figured out. :P
              Yeah, but some of us that you call "little guy" could care less about selling tunes. In house tuning is important to us. We do a lot of OBD1 conversions (specially on highly modified motors) just because we are used to it.

Originally posted by nando View Post
              Dave, they'll do that anyway. Where do you think Hakkentt gets his "tunes"? :p
              ROFL. We already had this conversation.

Besides the point, anyone who can pull the file and knows what they are doing can see your tunes, PLUS, you would be surprised how many "reputable" tunes come in with drive-ability issues from internet bought tunes. Nothing beats live, you guys know that. You can't tell me you sat there and hacked all the code yourself, you got a jump start from somewhere too.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

Encryption ;)
                And yes live >better. And what i know now is from 'hacking' BMW's shit. So i suppose their factory definition files that come with winkfp gave me my 'jump start'

Check Us out on Facebook
                Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                Full Product Line Tuning
                OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Yeah from what I've seen from his xdfs Dave did much on his own
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

;)
                    Attached Files

Check Us out on Facebook
                    Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                      Trust me, it wouldn't hurt you. GM has had open source tuning for decades and people still have us tune and buy chips/flashes. A lot of people read these threads and have no idea what a definition, bin hex address is etc. They are just looking for a cheap way to flash out EWS etc when in reality they will spend the same on equipment/time to do it in the first place. In the end, open source and file sharing is what gets these hacks/codes opened up more rapidly.
                      quoted for truth.

328ijunkie, IMO your posts on the thread at romraider added value to the discussion. perhaps one day when you are done making living from this stuff you can share all that you have learned.

Comment

Encryption ;)
                        And yes live >better. And what i know now is from 'hacking' BMW's shit. So i suppose their factory definition files that come with winkfp gave me my 'jump start'
                        Encryption, dis-assembly, hacking whatever you call it - its the same thing.

If you truly started from scratch and truly started from scratch, awesome. Just don't see many people of this generation doing that. Most start with help and even will just jumble the pointers to make it "encrypted", or harder for the public to see what you did (HPTuners is a big example using an interface and charging VIN credits [aka money]).

If you are reading on a binary level, that's not so common anymore from my point of view, but then again when I started driving there was still a lot of carb motors on the road.

With that thread you started about TRM tunes and re-flashing customer cars, I assumed you must of had help ("jump start") somewhere along the line, or the original tunes would not have been out-sourced to begin with. Apologies if mistaken. Probably not the time or place to discuss what personal experiences had here with other companies' tunes - save them all anyways, just because. Amazing what some people are charging for a "plug and play" chip that barely runs a car at all when highly modified.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

Originally posted by MyE30 View Post
                          quoted for truth.

328ijunkie, IMO your posts on the thread at romraider added value to the discussion. perhaps one day when you are done making living from this stuff you can share all that you have learned.
                          If he is truly dis-assembling code, that's his intellectual property, though.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:

Comment

I know I'm bumping a thread that I started nearly 5 years ago, but a LOT of new information on this topic has come around and I wanted to share to help out anyone who is still struggling with this. I've graduated college in 2015 and went to work, picked up a few other expensive and time consuming hobbies, so I apologize for not posting sooner.

I wont go into a ton of detail, but my sister post on bimmerforums has tons of information there as well.

Basically the new best method is to go to RomRaider, download their software and get the developed definitions for the MS41.X. I wont repost the instructions, but go to the following webpage and follow the instructions to get all of your software/hardware up and running.

EDIT - December 6th, 2020 Instructions below are really old but helpful until the content is moved into appropriate locations. Therefore, this will remain here for the time being. TJABO - WORK IN PROGRESS INTRODUCTION:RomRaider is a great little free engine tuning program, developed originally by

A lot of folks much smarter than I have developed all of this information over the last 4 years or more, and it breaks down almost all of the data in the MS41. The EWS delete byte is not listed by name but it is shows as "Byte 8" in "Control Bits" Section. itll be default 22 for MT cars, and 20 for Automatics from what i understand. Swap this up to 150 or 148 respectively and you should be in the clear.

There are other check boxes/radio buttons for the other options such as Rear O2 deletes, and Secondary Air Pump removal.

For full disclosure, I haven't tried to flash my ECU with the new romraider tool because frankly I haven't had the time, but I will try to do that this weekend and report back if there is still any interest in this topic.

Comment

For anyone looking to have one of the best (of not best) tunes in the market, you should be reaching out to Jordan at RK-Tunes. Incredible customer service, a perfect blend of power and reliability. I'm running turbo M52 with MS41.1 and it put out a little more than 585whp on 185 width general all seasons. With my current 225 bfg rivals, it will safely do over 600 on e85, ~500 on pump. Stock block, S52 cams, cut ring hg and copper spacer.

Thanks,
                              John

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

what turbo and psi?
                                past:
                                1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                                1985 323i baur
                                current:
                                1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Working...
                                X