Need Help Determining How To Raise Koni Rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help Determining How To Raise Koni Rear

Hi there. I just recently bought a 1989 325i. It drives like a dream and has some good work done to it, but it’s waaaaay too low. Apparently the previous owner put in “shortened Koni Yellow shocks with Eibach springs”. From what I understand, I should be able to easily raise the front using a crescent wrench, but he wrote that I would need “rear adjusters and pads” to raise the rear. I’m not quite sure what that means, and have done some research to find out, but I’m still not quite sure.

I took some pictures, hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

Also for reference in case it’s relevant, the list he gave me for the suspension work:

Suspension:
    Custom Coilovers built around Eibach springs with shortened Koni yellow shocks
    (Front height is adjustable with spanner, can purchase rear adjusters and pads to control height)
    Ground Control Camber Plates
    Adjustable Rear Camber Tab Kit
    Adjustable Rear Toe Kit
    AGK Polyurethane Rear Subframe and Differential Mount Bushing Set (SFDS309)
    AKG Polyurethane Rear Trailing Arm Bushing Set (RTAB30D)
    Powdercoated Red rear Subframe
    Adjustable bump stops
    E46 Rear Shock Mounts
    I also found a mechanic receipt that says the shocks are “Koni Sport (Yellow) 86-91 BMW 3 Series - 325ix (All Wheel Drive) including Touring - Front”. I can’t confirm that it’s the same on the front and rear, though they look the same.

Thanks!

Looks like you do not have a rear coilover adjuster/perch in the back. You'll have to check your spring diameter, but you can purchase the threaded rear spring adjuster from places like Ireland Engineering (or Ground Control if they'll sell it separately) which will help your raise the car back up in the back. They usually come with a coilover spring upper pad/isolator to match. Right now you have the smaller coilover springs using stock style spring pads for the stock style barrel spring.

Chances are you have 325iX front struts because they are shorter length for better suspension travel on lowered cars. At least for the off-the-shelf rear shocks, the standard RWD car and iX share the same shock, so you can probably get away with what's in there now, especially if raise up the rear.

If you have pics of the front suspension, it may help to identify what you have as well.

Comment

Thanks mtech325! Your post was all I needed to figure out what I needed to do.

I lifted the rear, got the spring identification off the coil, and found the dimensions. Turned out the Irish Engineering perch fits inside perfectly, so I just ordered that set, and I think I'll be good to go.

Comment

Working...
      X