No announcement yet.

Euro 316i and unknown BMW history!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What an amazing transformation! Also very cool that you had a R3V E30 meetup while members were in town.

Comment

twins

Hi Pipeuy,
      I've been lurking r3v for some time, reading your thread inspired me to join and post. I also have a (mighty) M40B16-powered 316i coupe down here in NZ. Mine's more 'poverty spec', being a slick-top with wind-up windows, no aircon, and steelies/hubcaps. 1989 build, sold new in my city in 1990.

While the M40B16 is never going to do well in the traffic light grand prix, they're certainly a hoot to drive.

I'll be watching your thread with interest. I'll get to putting one up of my own, soon.

Regards from down under.
      Join the BMW Car Club of NZ
      http://www.bmwclub.co.nz/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/bmwcarclubnz/

Comment

Very cool and clean example man! Nice job!
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by getouth View Post
          I like it a lot!

Drive Tastefully!
          Thanks!

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
          What an amazing transformation! Also very cool that you had a R3V E30 meetup while members were in town.
          Thanks! It was really cool to meet Simon and Mike36, we had a great time.

Originally posted by ElRico_e30 View Post
          Hi Pipeuy,
          I've been lurking r3v for some time, reading your thread inspired me to join and post. I also have a (mighty) M40B16-powered 316i coupe down here in NZ. Mine's more 'poverty spec', being a slick-top with wind-up windows, no aircon, and steelies/hubcaps. 1989 build, sold new in my city in 1990.

While the M40B16 is never going to do well in the traffic light grand prix, they're certainly a hoot to drive.

I'll be watching your thread with interest. I'll get to putting one up of my own, soon.

Regards from down under.
          Nice! I actually like those "poverty spec" cars, to be honest I'd love mine to be a slick-top car.

I do agree the M40B16 is really slow but it's also very fun to drive, you know driving a slow car fast is much more interesting that driving a fast car slow.

I'll be waiting for your thread!

Originally posted by Jean View Post
          Very cool and clean example man! Nice job!
          Thanks!
          1990 Bmw 316i 2 door Alpine Weiß 2
          1990 Bmw 535iA Alpine Weiß 2 (soon to be manual)

Comment

Finally some updates!

Managed to buy an euro cluster but it didn't work as expected so I actually took parts from 3 different clusters to build a good one. I can now see the mighty M40's revs! ;D

This arrived a couple of days ago, purple tag E46 rack with E36 outer tie rods. Now I have most of the parts to retrofit power steering and to refresh the front end, the parts I still need should arrive in a couple of weeks.

And some random pics my girlfriend took testing her new camera.

Should I lower it more?

Comment

I think it sits perfectly, I am hoping to get some more Euro parts soon too
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

The ride height is spot on!

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  I think it sits perfectly, I am hoping to get some more Euro parts soon too
                  You do! Bumpers and that M tech 1 kit 8-)

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                  The ride height is spot on!
                  I think I'll keep the ride height just as is.

Some small and probably useless stuff happened.

New OEM hardware for the turn signal lenses.

Clips were missing for the trim piece in the trunk behind the seats so ordered some. It doesn't look too good but it's the original one and barely ever gets seen.

Mounting clip for the wheel nuts wrench was missing so one was ordered.

And finally, really small touch but ordered the OEM hardware for the license plate and the little caps for the screws.

Hopefully this weekend I'll get to install the E46 rack and retrofit the power steering components.

Comment

That's awesome that Rack Doctor ships overseas, nice choice with the rack upgrade. You'll love it, makes the car handling so much more responsive. Car is looking great too, super clean. Keep it coming!
                    '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
                      That's awesome that Rack Doctor ships overseas, nice choice with the rack upgrade. You'll love it, makes the car handling so much more responsive. Car is looking great too, super clean. Keep it coming!
                      I actually had it sent to Miami and then used a local company to have it shipped to Uruguay. Yeah I actually had one on my last E30 so I knew it was a must.
                      Thank you very much, getting the whole car ready before tackling the engine swap.

Comment

Progress has been slow on this part of the build but finally installed the purple tag rack and retrofitted the power steering stuff. Everything is new except the power steering pump since it will be changed once the swap is done.

New control arms, bushings, tie rods and sway bar end links along with the KW coilovers completely changed how the car handles and makes me want to upgrade the engine even more. I didn't do new sway bar bushings since I'll be upgrading to convertible ones.

Finally, the Turner alignment tool was a really nice buy and made having the car aligned a breeze.

Future plans include doing the same to the rear end of the car (converting the rear brakes to discs too) and probably getting 280mm massive bbk.

Comment

So last weekend some friends and I got to meet some really cool photographers and here are the pictures.

Comment

amazing pics, car looks fantastic Felipe!
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

pipeuy how's your mighty M40B16 coming along? Any changes/updates to report?
                              Join the BMW Car Club of NZ
                              http://www.bmwclub.co.nz/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/bmwcarclubnz/

Comment

Working...
                              X