Knife Thread: All about Knives and other edged tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a couple ideas.

The Cryo II from kershaw is not bad for a sub 50 dollar knife and I think there are some special runs that have a decent tool steel in them Vs the standard 440stainless that I am not a fan of at all.. CRKT has some new interesting stuff out here recently but they are more of thinner profile Vs the heavy thick profiles of the most of the ZT flipper variants. Emerson has some good options out there around the 100 dollar price point. But I would tend to agree with infernal up there that putting a bit more in the budget for a ZT would get you closer to what you are after and serve you a bit better.

Also as a personal note from a guy thats carried around a 400 dollar Spartan Blades for the last 4+ years almost daily. When you pay for a very high quality knife, you dont lose them nearly as often, for 2 reasons. 1: The shear cost of replacement since they cost a lot so there is some additional incentive to keep track of it. 2: You dont loan it out EVER
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

cryo 2 is nice for the price but don't get the metal handled one it is so heaavvyyy.

btw still have my grip mini it opens up like a switchblade u don't need a flipper.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
        Also as a personal note from a guy thats carried around a 400 dollar Spartan Blades for the last 4+ years almost daily. When you pay for a very high quality knife, you dont lose them nearly as often, for 2 reasons. 1: The shear cost of replacement since they cost a lot so there is some additional incentive to keep track of it. 2: You dont loan it out EVER
        This is very true. I stopped losing knives as soon as I started walking around with what equated to a car payment clipped to my pocket.

One note about the Emersons- the licensed Emerson designs built by Kershaw/ZT are really the way to go now. I have a handful of Emersons because I like his simple designs, but I don't have a false sense of what they really are. Emerson is like one of the OG grandpappys of tactical knives but he's been banking on his name recognition/SEAL relation for way too long. Basically all of the lame ass excuses he's had for not updating designs/steel/features/price have been addressed by Kershaw/ZT.

Comment

Bought my first decent blade. Will be a truck knife, and used in day to day job cutting hoses etc. Now I just need to learn how to sharpen the damn thing. I have some Arkansas stones, but need to learn how to use them. I have a buck 110 that desperately needs a good sharpening

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Esse makes a great blade. I have an Izula, RC3-Mil (from the pre-esee days) and Esee 7. I beat the shit out of the 7 several times and it's one that always comes with when camping.

As for sharpening, I love my Spyderco Sharpmaker. There is a really forgiving learning curve and you can get blades scalpel sharp with about 5 minutes of work.

Comment

Cool knife!

Also, check out https://www.armatuscarry.com/ if you want a new sheath. I'm sure there are others by I've used and like this guy
              BEERTECH

Comment

Picked up a para 3 today. Not thrilled about the grip pattern, but I love the business end and ergos. Will replace the clip to a deep pocket clip.

Never understood the appeal of knife world until now. Then again, I never had any knifes of any quality, except our Heinkel kitchen knifes which have been dull for so long I don't remember what they were like when sharp. Gonna break out a sharpie and the stones this weekend and try to learn me some sharpening skills.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

is that your first pocket knife?
                  the appreciation comes from now knowing how fucking sharp a good knife is supposed to be. :)

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                    is that your first pocket knife?
                    the appreciation comes from now knowing how fucking sharp a good knife is supposed to be. :)
                    First one of decent quality.

I have had tons of throw away pocket knives. In my previous job as a golf course superintendent I would get free cheap pocket knives almost monthly. We would use them daily to cut wedges out of the greens to diagnose any issues and to monitor root/plant health. As such, I would dull a knife typically within days, if not hours. So there was no point in buying a quality pocket knife. Now I am in sales and my needs/use a have changed. I now need sharp, and resistant to corrosion, as I deal with liquid fertilizers and acids.

Comment

Solid purchase for a "first knife"

I have been eyeing up the Para3 for a really long time, and it's been in my cart several times. The Paramilitary 2 is just a hair too big for my liking. The Para3 is exactly what I was looking for, just haven't bit the bullet yet.

Comment

btw what the heck is this for you think?
                        found it.

Comment

For that, and other fancy food prep stuff. And probably works well for poking people.
                          BEERTECH

Comment

Looks like a fish scaler to me

Comment

anyone know of a decent knife with a profile similar to the James Brand Hell Gap? I just can't bring myself to buy a $400 knife but want a decent backpacking knife, this profile looks great for cooking in the field

Comment

Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
                                anyone know of a decent knife with a profile similar to the James Brand Hell Gap? I just can't bring myself to buy a $400 knife but want a decent backpacking knife, this profile looks great for cooking in the field
                                What is your budget and what tasks do you expect the knife to perform? James Brand makes cool looking knives with good steel, but in my opinion the price tag is comprised of about 30% marketing hype. For $150 less than the James you can get a similarly sized Chris Reeve Nyala which would be my personal choice. Their folders are the benchmark for premium production knives, and their fixed blades receive the same attention to detail. Benchmade has a bushcraft knife that is half the price of the James. Boker makes a few bushcraft style knives that would fit that bill and are still "nicer" knives. A cheapo Mora would work and they're easy to sharpen in the field. It all comes down to budget and what you expect the knife to be able to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X