Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do we have an E28/E34 subforum, but not E23/E32 or E24/E31?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do we have an E28/E34 subforum, but not E23/E32 or E24/E31?

Those are also from the E30 time period and deserve love too right? E32 is basically a slightly larger E34, but arguably more beautiful with the forward slant like the E28. I was looking at used car listings in Europe and very nice E32s are priced as high as 30,000 EUR. I guess they haven't caught on as much with US collectors, but nice E23s are often priced pretty high stateside. I think it's also interesting that the BMW models have become larger over the years. The SWB E32 7 Series is slightly smaller than a F10 5 Series. I think the E31 8 Series is special too and was actually its own model. The new 8 appears to be a rebadged 6.

The first BMW 7 Series. E23.

BMW 7 Series. The second generation E32.

BMW E24 fanmade ad

The BMW 8 Series. E31.
    Last edited by Andrew325is; 10-21-2018, 02:46 PM.
    Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Nobody cares about those models. J/k well kinda. I thought it was pretty generous to have an E28/E34 forum here considering there are MyE28.com and Bimmerforums, etc. Only the special E24's and E31's get the love while the vast majority are still well represented at the junkyards. As an example, there is an E30 M3 subforum here as well that gets virtually zero traffic mainly due to the fact there aren't many owners here and there is a go to E30 M3 specific site (S14.net).
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

At the time it was mainly due to the sheer amount of folks that drove the E28 and E34's in addition to their E30's.

I'm certainly willing to add some, but I was trying to not go full on bimmerforums either.

Comment

Okay, cool. That makes sense.

Comment

Good question and some compelling answers. If anything, I think the E36 318ti and the Z3 are the little cousins of the E30 so to speak. Same front end - same rear end. The engines are closely related - M42 for the early 318ti and morphing into the M44 with OBD. Same answer here - not much respect for the 318ti at least.

Comment

I agree packratbimmer. There are a lot of similarities between the Z3 & 318ti and the E30 and of course parts interchangeability. The 318ti seems to be a fairly overlooked model for some reason and clean low-mileage examples are very difficult to find. The 318ti is my second favorite BMW after the E30. I test drove a very nice one not long ago without knowing how rare they are. I kind of wish I bought it, but of course I don't need another little BMW.

Comment

Yea, our M318ti (yes it is a genuine M car) handles like a go-cart. It is slightly lower and has huge sway bars from the factory. We have added 17" M Contour wheels which help as well. The handling is very neutral. There is just something about the car that takes me straight back through the generations of the 3-series and then to the 1974 2002 that I started with. It is a different driving experience, but feels like a natural progression. With that said, I have driven E36 325i and 328i cars and cannot report the same although I do like those cars as well for what they are.

Comment

Working...
              X