No Start Issue, 1990 S52 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Start Issue, 1990 S52 Swap

Hey R3v, need some suggestions on one of my buddies cars.

The car is a 1990 325i (was an automatic originally but should not matter for the problem at hand) with a 1997 S52 engine swap. It is kind of a long story, but the swap was originally done by a "shop" into his 1st E30 before he bought it. After an unfortunate wreck, he bought the 1990 auto complete car and I swapped over all the engine/driveline/suspension bits from the wrecked car which I parted out (red 4dr some may remember). During my swap I found numerous things that weren't done correctly or at least adequately enough for me and upgraded them for him.

Anyway, since my swap process into the 1990 chassis, the car has run very well and needed very little. Just recently though it had some charging and starting issues which proved to be a bad alternator. Problem went away until recently when it would just rapidly click when trying to start. Jumping or charging the battery made NO difference. Swapped in a good battery but the only difference was that instead of clicking the engine turned over but very slowly and seemingly with a lot of resistance. Got some smoke off the starter so naturally I concluded the starter was shot.

So, I bought a new battery and a new starter and it was starting great for about a week until it did the rapid click thing again. Now it rapidly clicks every time again and jumping/charging the battery still has no effect. The car pop starts and runs just fine with a push down a hill, but as soon as I shut it off an go to restart it, it just clicks. I did find a melted ground wire which I replaced, but nothing changed.

Ive done alternator, battery, starter, and the ignition switch. I never touched any of the wiring harness during my swap so I am worried that possibly the shop that built it originally might have half-assed something in there that is causing the issue? Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated or any similar issues and their solutions.

Thanks!
    Z

For reference, these are some old pictures but the car in question is the white one which now has the S52. Red is the wrecked 4dr engine-and-bits donor:

Last edited by zcenterb; 04-07-2018, 03:52 PM.
    CENTERBAR MOTORSPORT - Check out my small Bimmer/Beamer parts and custom projects business!
    Instagram: @centerbarmotorsport
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/centerbarmo...?ref=bookmarks

The Fleet:
    -1984 325ei Lapis
    -1991 325ix Diamond
    - 2005 X5 4.4i Black Sapphire

-1972 2002tii Fjord - SOLD 7/8/17
    -1991 325i S50 ///Sterling Silver/// - SOLD 9/15/17

The Bike:
    -1980 R100RS Inca

sigpic

Do the late models have the power distribution block near the passenger side? My early model had the same symptoms. The power distro block had a loose connection.
    "Broke into the wrong God damn rec room, didn't ya you bastard!"

Comment

Ive gone through the whole distribution lines. Seems everything is tight and snug, grounds look good externally, etc.

Forgot to mention, sometimes when pop started, the car will start just fine on its own after the fact multiple times. Just did this to me this afternoon. Like I said when it does start, it starts really smooth and quickly and runs great, but once it clicks once, it just will keep clicking every time when trying to start. Clicking is definitely coming from the starter solenoid too, not the type of soft clicking from a dead battery.

I verified today that the constant hot to the starter is good, the ground is good, and the keyed hot to the starter solenoid is also good when the key is turned, so to me the symptoms all point to a junk starter/solenoid... even though its a brand new/remanned unit. Any insights are appreciated, thanks guys.
      Last edited by zcenterb; 04-07-2018, 03:57 PM.
      CENTERBAR MOTORSPORT - Check out my small Bimmer/Beamer parts and custom projects business!

The Fleet:
      -1984 325ei Lapis
      -1991 325ix Diamond

The Bike:
      -1980 R100RS Inca

sigpic

Comment

Sounds like the solenoid is bad, or the wiring to it. You can use a screwdriver to jump the main starter terminal to the solenoid....if it continues to just click, then the solenoid is bad, if it turns over, then wiring/switch is suspect.

Comment

Is it a repetitive clicking like the solenoid is trying to repetitively engage? Or is it one solid click every time you turn the key to start? I assume you get icv noise & fuel pump priming w/ key in on position?

Comment

Cwlo, I haven’t manually tested it yet but I will next time it doesn’t start. It’s been starting on it’s own since yesterday for some reason. Frustrating... Thanks for the comment.

NotJesus, it’s a repetitive clicking like it’s continually trying to engage but can’t. Not just a single click. Yes all to pre-start functions work just fine.

The Fleet:
            -1984 325ei Lapis
            -1991 325ix Diamond

The Bike:
            -1980 R100RS Inca

sigpic

Comment

up

The Fleet:
              -1984 325ei Lapis
              -1991 325ix Diamond

The Bike:
              -1980 R100RS Inca

sigpic

Comment

I recently swapped my motor and the starter was giving me issues. Turned out to be a bad ground from the motor to the body. I had put in a stainless clutch line that was covered in plastic. When I turned the key it would smoke! That was my clue. The starter was pulling the ground through the clutch line. As said above try going direct to the starter with 12v and see if it turns.

Comment

Hey guys, update here. The car finally had a no start on me yesterday with the clicking as I described. I did cwlo’s test and connected the keyed hot on the solenoid to constant hot and it just did the same clicking sound with no turn over. So, i think my new starter may be junk. I’m going to try and get it refunded and upgrade to the Bosch unit rather than the cheapie Genco brand.

Any thoughts or comments welcome, but I think I have this wrapped up until I get a line on a new starter. Thanks guys.

The Fleet:
                  -1984 325ei Lapis
                  -1991 325ix Diamond

The Bike:
                  -1980 R100RS Inca

sigpic

Comment

Okay I need some help here, I am extremely frustrated at this point...

Brand new Bosch starter went in and the car started fine for a few weeks and then sat for a week or so and now every time it just clicks when I turn the key, same as before. Battery is fully charged and jumping/charging has no effect.

Possibly on a related note, I have been battling an overheating issue on the same car and have replaced literally everything in the cooling system with OEM or high performance stuff (Stewart WP, BMW thermostat, new temp sender, Mishimoto radiator, etc) and the gauge still jumps around like crazy between the half mark and red. Swapped in a known good cluster with no change. Starting to think the two issues are related...

As mentioned before, the only thing I have not touched on the car is the ECU and the wiring harness. Possible for that to be the culprit? Any help is greatly appreciated as I am about ready to pop start the car off a cliff... thanks!

The Fleet:
                    -1984 325ei Lapis
                    -1991 325ix Diamond

The Bike:
                    -1980 R100RS Inca

sigpic

Comment

chassis ground strap
                      88 e30/s50 gt35r turbo m3

96 gt4094r turbo m3
                      452 rwhp, 455 rwtq at 14 psi 91 octane
                      681 rwhp, 684 rwtq at 25 psi E65

Comment

^ Already replaced it and sanded down the connection points with steel wool.

The Fleet:
                        -1984 325ei Lapis
                        -1991 325ix Diamond

The Bike:
                        -1980 R100RS Inca

sigpic

Comment

Is your ecu case grounded? My car won't run and one of the relays clicks rapidly when the ecu isn't grounded.

Comment

It is grounded but it is not an ecu that I recognize. Did the M3s use other ecu’s besides red/silver 413s?
                            Last edited by zcenterb; 06-05-2018, 04:35 AM.

The Fleet:
                            -1984 325ei Lapis
                            -1991 325ix Diamond

The Bike:
                            -1980 R100RS Inca

sigpic

Comment

Does anyone recognize this ECU?

The Fleet:
                              -1984 325ei Lapis
                              -1991 325ix Diamond

The Bike:
                              -1980 R100RS Inca

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X