Diff Experts-Please chime in on 2 or 3 clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am rebuilding a diff for my dedicated track car, a gutted 325i with a M20. For years I have been running an 4.10. The last couple years i have been smoking the inside tire on uphill turns (which were i run has a lot of).

I just removed another 4.10 medium case from my 318 due to an engine swap. I decided I would rebuild this unit and when i pull the track car out of storage toss it in. This 4.10 seemed fairly strong. I pulled it apart (without stripping any of those allens) and it has what looks like a little wear on the clutches. Since i am in there i figure i will replace the wear parts. What is the consensus on running a 2 clutch vs 3? Its really a DE car so i am not looking for every 1/10th of a second. I am more concerned with tearing up my slicks on hills. Also is there any benefit to porsche vs bmw parts?

Thanks for any help. This is new territory....

The stock (25%?) diff is pretty underwhelming on the track-
    if you're in there, I'd upgrade. Others know more than I,
    and will chime in.

That said, I have driven cars that were set up such that
    they could spin an inside tire with anything less than a spool.
    I've also driven well- balanced cars with an open diff that could
    put inside traction down well in almost any corner.
    Suspension setup plays a big part in this...

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Thanks. Good point on the suspension. IE spec springs, IE front camber plates, IE sways, Bilsteins, poly bushings all around, stock 14" wheels.

Comment

I'm with Toby. Where do you have your rears sway bar set? Try softening it up and see what happens.

Comment

I guess what had me thinking the diff was the main contributor is the sway bar has not been adjusted but the wheel spin has gotten worse. I will play around with the bar and see how that helps.
          Either way I plan on rebuilding this sucker with new disks and plates. I figure since I am in there an its 30 years old. What are the thoughts on 2 vs. 3 clutch?

Comment

Originally posted by brads2002 View Post
            I guess what had me thinking the diff was the main contributor is the sway bar has not been adjusted but the wheel spin has gotten worse. I will play around with the bar and see how that helps.
            Either way I plan on rebuilding this sucker with new disks and plates. I figure since I am in there an its 30 years old. What are the thoughts on 2 vs. 3 clutch?

4 plates with no preload and proper stack setup is the proven optimal setup for these ancient zf Diffs.

Nasa national championship spec = you get results with.

If increasing plates more than Oem 2 without removing preload you are increasing static breakaway which = understeer for low speed corners.

If you like understeer go for it; free internet data from those selling cheap knock off parts is just that.
            OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Working...
            X