Honda S2000 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda S2000 swap

Hello, this is my first post here. I thought I would share my swap. I completed it about 1 1/2 years ago, 20k plus miles so far. This is my DD. not sure how a non BMW swap would go over here but feel free to ask questions!
    Attached Files

Ahaha awesome

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

How is the weight balance? Im curious how much lighter it is than an S14?
      sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
      The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Got a build thread??

Comment

A quick search says a s14 weighs about 350lbs and a f30c weighs 325lbs. Pretty much the same if these weights are accurate. I know it's a lot lighter than the m42 that I took out! Jaywood, I didn't do a build thread. Someday I might put something together. I posted the following on the m42club forum awhile back. Kind of a long post but might give a good idea of some of the details.

Not sure where to begin....I will try and address some of the questions and concerns from reading the previous posts on this thread. From start to finish it took me 3 years. There was definitely a lot of time that I didn't work on it, sometimes months at a time and many times. My engine is the F20c. Mechanically it was pretty straight forward, I did have the oil pan notched to clear the cross member and steering rack so the engine would sit low to close the hood and for alignment of transmission and driveshaft etc. From the start I knew I needed to smog it in. Ca. So I am using the stock Honda ECM and wiring and all the Honda s2k emission components/modules. A big mystery was how to manage the fuel tank pressure for emission purposes so it wouldn't throw a ck engine code, luckily BMW must have known they would need to do this in the near future as the e30 had all the vacuum lines and fitting to easily tap into. This may not sound like a big deal but to me and trying to smog it and be legal in ca this was huge. Motor mounts and trans mounts were easy and straight forward, I used the Honda radiator, had a hydraulic line made for the clutch with a BMW fitting on one end and Honda on the other, done. Easy to bring fuel to the motor too. Absolutely no mods to the bmw throttle cable to connect to the S2k motor.Plenty of room and clearance exhaust wise. I struggled with the drive shaft for a bit after it was on the road. At first I just put the front slip joint of the Honda shaft onto the otherwise complete BMW 2 piece shaft, that also has the slip joint in the middle, so I had 2 slip joints and a 2 piece shaft. Kept having vibration and clearance problems, I finally found that a one piece shaft with tha Honda slip joint in front and of all things I used a Toyota Tacoma joint at the rear to bolt to the BMW rear flange, same exact pattern. Now it is robust and smooth at all speeds and loads. Obviously using the s2k 6 speed trans which is an absolute gem of a transmission. I also am using the digital instrument cluster and push button start from the s2k. With out a doubt the most difficult part for me was the wiring. I am no expert at any of this especially wiring. This is why it took so long to complete. The 2 different era's of cars, 2 different mfg'ers, 2 different origins. I wanted it to be clean and finished in a way that everything appears stock and clean and reliable. Not sure how much lighter the Honda engine and trans are, I'm guessing between 100-150lbs. I have been driving it for over a year as a daily driver and put over 20k on the swap (knock on wood), all trouble free other than sorting out the driveshaft. All and all the car drives and performs amazing, everything I hoped it would be. It drives like a kitten when you want it go be and when you put your foot in it, it comes alive like no car I've ever had. This is my first BMW and I fell in love with it and just wanted more power and one thing led to another. I avg 25-27 mpg the same as with the m42, I have gotten over 30 mpg on longer trips. I don't know exactly what my car weighs but I know it is several hundred pounds lighter than a s2k. I am thinking it may have a 1-10 lb/hp. I'm sure there is a lot I left out. Bottom line, I love the e30 handling, practicality and looks. Seats 5 if needed and is a sleeper. But it was a lot of work. Feel free to ask any questions. I can try and post some pics later. For now you can search on you tube "318is s2000" it is a totally funny video because it is literally the first time I drive the car and the emotions were pretty high. Thanks
          Attached Files

Comment

Very very cool. Nevermind my avatar, id like to do this swap in a 2002 or even an e21. Any vids?

COTM

Comment

Ha! I'm not a big fan of Honda either, f20 being the exception and NSX of course. You can search you tube "318is s2000 swap" for video, it is the first time driving it so, it's kinda funny looking back on it now.

Comment

Wow that's awesome. You should boost it ;)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
                Slowly building my 325es...

Comment

I like it!
                  95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
                  Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
                  LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

Pretty cool, and looks like a very clean swap! I think those motors lend themselves to small, lightweight cars. With so little torque even an e30 seems a bit heavy. A 2002 however...

Comment

Awesome swap. I love the s2k motor. Welcome aboard
                      98 M3/4/5

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                        Pretty cool, and looks like a very clean swap! I think those motors lend themselves to small, lightweight cars. With so little torque even an e30 seems a bit heavy. A 2002 however...
                        When I last weighed my E30 it was 2600lbs.
                        An S2000 weighs about the same........
                        sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
                        The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Dam were slacking. Just never no time. Good work man. Were working on a mass platform mount kit, etc.
                          Work We Do
                          CAtuned Feedback Page|FB CAtuned Page
                          http://www.catuned.com

Comment

Catuned, I just ck'd out some of your projects, very impressive! You are doing amazing work. I'd love to stop by next time I'm in Sac. Thanks for the kind words!

Comment

I really want to do this swap. I think it would be awesome. looks great!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X