No announcement yet.

iron first in a velvet glove the build of my m30b35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Luke, the production kits will be available in a month or so he’s just headed overseas for his wife to have their 2nd little one. I spoke to him a couple of day prior to leaving he’s just waiting on the casting to be done & then has 2 additional parts he wants to add to it before he calls the kit done 1. A fuel rail, I’m using a nuke style one he wasn’t a one that will fit the kit easily 2. The potential spacer for the thermostat housing, he wants those parts sorted so it’s a bolt on kit.

I’ll still be running a booster, I’ll have shorter trumpets spacers & looking at the option of having them run on an angle to clear. Worse case I can go 1 of 3 ways move the booster slightly, run a smaller booster(similar to what my mate had in his ls1 e30), reverse fit the booster moving it into the glovebox area(less than ideal)

Comment

Cool - sounds like a good plan!

If you do need to relocate the booster to the glovebox, the Ergen Motorsport kit looks pretty neat - it's quite expensive though.
      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Coming along nicely....though why such small lift ?
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
          Coming along nicely....though why such small lift ?
          Was a cam I got when I bought the original m30 swapped car, it was fitted with a 284 & the 294/294 catcam new in the box is meant to be a hot street cam. Once I have the engine together & running I’ll be gathering parts to do another head build:

VAC +1mm valves
          PPF steel rockers
          & looking at a higher lift cam, ppf has a 284 with 11.2 & peak angle of 109

I probably shouldn’t have compromised on the cam but wanted to give this a shot to see how it runs, ideally I’ll be street/super sprinting the car.

Comment

the PPF cam is

another cam that looks ok is

some plots by others

on the m20 the HD rocker arms give more lift that the standard ones, i dont know if it the same with the m30 version

catcams also offer uber $$$ billet rockers now, so they should be able to generate some better profiles as i think the pads are longer

Last edited by digger; 03-09-2018, 08:22 PM.
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

The catcam rockers do look really nice, the ppf/km ones have a longer pad similarly to the catcam ones just less finely finished.

That db cam looks to be on the money, I’ve had my eye on this one also

4500-7000 rpm. Duration 300° / 10.7mm Løft. Fulltløft 108°. Andre profiler leveres på forespørsel.

Trying to figure out injectors to suit next was looking at L67 injectors

Comment

the km rocker for the m20 have a different pad profile so when i tested them i lost lift on the m20 cam, not sure if the m30 are the same

the catcams are steel so they will be nice and stiff, probably a bit heaver but the weight difference isn't that important as its only rocking.

street engine id always look to maximise area under the lift-crank angle curve with more lift firstly and keep seat to seat duration down as much as possible. excessive duration gives reversion which is annoying as hell on the street. the M30 has extra cubes on its side though. single inlet valve needs lift to get the curtain area big enough so you can use the port area
                Last edited by digger; 03-10-2018, 01:26 AM.

Comment

so waiting for Rama to get back from overseas to sort out piston measurements, took the m30 out on the track for the first time Sunday just passed,

Ran really strong, super sprint gave a format of 1 warm up to start the flying lap, & about 4 hot laps. This was my first track experience I managed a best of 1:30.4 with the nearest e30 being a 323i that was 4.8sec quicker than me, I had a power advantage but he was on r compound tyres.

I can say I’ll be back with better tyres next time, the track bug has bitten :p
                  Attached Files

Comment

I'll be watching this closely- I'll have a much more basic version of this going together this winter.
                    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                      I'll be watching this closely- I'll have a much more basic version of this going together this winter.
                      I’ll pull my finger out & get some updates happening soon, the new m30 has been on the back burner will I sorted wiring issue/mild fire.

But took the chance to strip the unnecessary out of the car, now it’s engine build focus

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony B View Post
                        I’ll pull my finger out & get some updates happening soon, the new m30 has been on the back burner will I sorted wiring issue/mild fire.

But took the chance to strip the unnecessary out of the car, now it’s engine build focus
                        Nice! Will you be running an airbox/will he be making one for the M30 ITBs?

This M30 made great power with a 292, some porting, headers and 10.5:1 pistons. I'm sure yours will do even better with ITBs. Torque curve stayed extremely strong even with the bigger cam, although I think the Catcams 292 is a bit antiquated in it's big-duration lower lift profile which helped it out in the torque department.

This car

m30 dyno 105comp 292cam headers by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
                        Last edited by AWDBOB; 06-14-2018, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Haven’t planned the air box yet, but I will be building one to fit. Rama is out of the country til September this year so eagerly waiting his arrival back.

I’ve got two blocks to currently work from which is mackibg fabrication work easier, I just need to decide on which block I will run either the m90 or the m30b35. I’m taking both to the machine shop & letting them inspect as the m90 has a fair bit of corrosion in the cooling channels not horrible but want to see if it’s saveable & at what cost.

My cam is definitely a limiting factor given it’s smaller lift the km cam at a smaller duration has 2mm more lift, I think this will be a good starting point, if the cam limits too much I’ll be building another head & swapping this one onto my other m30 that is another project

Comment

I’ll still be running a booster, I’ll have shorter trumpets spacers & looking at the option of having them run on an angle to clear. Worse case I can go 1 of 3 ways move the booster slightly, run a smaller booster(similar to what my mate had in his ls1 e30), reverse fit the booster moving it into the glovebox area(less than ideal)

Anthony- what have you planned to do with your brake booster? In speaking with Rama, he is pretty confident these won't fit with the stock booster in an E30 since the trumpets sit so low. Is he angling your trumpets differently? There's also the E30 V8 E34 booster relocation possibility, but none of that is ideal. I asked Rama about a 325iX booster and he didn't seem to think it would fit.

This booster seems like it may be a good option. Could possibly mount this in the E30 bay in addition to slotting and moving the holes over 1/2" for clearance/modifying the clevis.

And then there's also this booster kit that takes the guesswork out of the E34 remote booster setup.

And the least ideal IMO:

Rama offered me a good deal on the M30 ITBs and I want to pull the trigger but don't want to do so if they're not going to fit right in the E30 bay.

Also, this is the IE Cam Card for the billet 284/280 "N21" which I assume may be based off of a Paul Burke profile.

M30 284-280 Billet by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
                            Last edited by AWDBOB; 06-29-2018, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I’m looking at the Ergen option, I trial fitted my s38 it’s in the bay & number 6 will definitely foul the booster.

I’m badgering my mate to see what booster he used in his LS1 e30 he retained the in bay booster with his swap but I’m not sure of the booster he used. I’m avoiding using the incar booster as much a possible.

I think with a smaller booster & a shorter runner length they will fit up with minimal issues. I’m awaiting Rama’s return to Aus so I can pick his brain on it.

I’ve got another m30 head sitting stripped at home now, once I’ve gotten the motor together I think it will become the next project with a new cam & larger valves both inlet & exhaust

Comment

I’m looking at the Ergen option, I trial fitted my s38 it’s in the bay & number 6 will definitely foul the booster.
                                Wait... you trial fitted s38 ITBs or a whole s38?! An S38 swap would be AWESOME!
                                My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Working...
                                X