Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just another 325IX repair thread (Now with more TURBO!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today was fun, I started disassembly to get to the shifter bushings. I will do my best to document this for future IX'ers...I think pictures are super helpful.

Anyways, upon removal of the one piece exhaust, I found the rear hole on the head was stripped at some point. Whats worse is when the stud came out, coolant started leaking out of the hole......How bad is that?

After that, I cleaned up the header and took it to get welded up. The nice fellow admired my RX7 and said he used to have one - total cost was $20 and 15 minutes of reminiscing for him hah!

On a good note, the front driveshaft was in great shape, and already has some sort of spacer that pushes it all the way in! I forgot to take a picture so I will get it when I reassemble. Very cool little piece and a lot cheaper than replacing splines on existing shafts.

And lastly, a dremel with a sanding drum makes quick work of the factory rear carrier bushing. Garagistic delrin bushing going in place of the torn rubber. I will have a before and after video of the shifter slop.

325IX Build Thread
    RX7 Build Thread

Comment

The transfer case was a pain in the ass. I think now that I know what combination of extensions and swivels work.

For anyone following and needing to drop the transfer case, it was a lot easier to get to the top bolts by removing the center console.

I think its safe to say these were the original linkages.

You know its really difficult to remember to stop and take pictures....here is the new DSSR attached with the new shift selector...

here is a video of the shifter before replacement.

E30 325ix shifter with all stock bushings. Assumed to be original bushings with 220k+ miles

and after

E30 325ix with fixed shifter. Garagistic DSSR, Delrin front and rear carrier bushings, new shift cup and bitch clip.

Here is the front drive shaft spacer

Last edited by driftxsequence; 08-21-2016, 06:28 PM.
      325IX Build Thread
      RX7 Build Thread

Comment

This car has been a joy to work on. I am amazed at how pliable the plastics are. The RX7 is super brittle. These cars were designed to be worked on, and repaired versus replaced. It's great.

before....

After! all better :)

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? It's like they're rubber!

Last edited by driftxsequence; 08-27-2016, 09:30 PM.
        325IX Build Thread
        RX7 Build Thread

Comment

yum

yay

:D

325IX Build Thread
          RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Very cool! Started my ix build a couple weeks ago. 5-speed swap is almost done :D
            89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
            I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

i pulled out the transmission on my IX and it was a process. How hard was it to just remove the transfer case to gain access to the shifter assembly?

Comment

ThatM20Guy Awesome! Good luck on the 5 speed swap! Whats left?

jeenyus, the transfer case wasnt that hard. make sure you hit the bolts with some pb blaster. having a helper in the car is advantageous. I had someone in the car turn the wrench while i would guide the socket onto the bolt. I removed the shift console and that helped get a the swivel a little bit more straight and kept it from twisting. If you have any other questions, please ask and i'll try to help as much as possible!
                Last edited by driftxsequence; 08-29-2016, 10:15 PM.
                325IX Build Thread
                RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by driftxsequence View Post
                  ThatM20Guy Awesome! Good luck on the 5 speed swap! Whats left?

jeenyus, the transfer case wasnt that hard. make sure you hit the bolts with some pb blaster. having a helper in the car is advantageous. I had someone in the car turn the wrench while i would guide the socket onto the bolt. I removed the shift console and that helped get a the swivel a little bit more straight and kept it from twisting. If you have any other questions, please ask and i'll try to help as much as possible!
                  Almost done. Just need to stick the trans back up into the car. Waiting on a front driveshaft flexdisc to get ere and then it will be back up driving.

Also doing some minor things like swaybar links and bushings. Once its running I am planning on getting some H&R sport springs and refresh the suspension and brakes. Then its onto wheels.

I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Is this amount of camber normal?

325IX Build Thread
                    RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by driftxsequence View Post
                      Is this amount of camber normal?

looks like mine did until I put camber plates on....
                      Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Well. the inside of the tires show some interesting wear. I'll get pictures next time I jack it up.

After having an exhaust shop weld up my exhaust, they must have put some stress on the header because the header was cracked wide open....

$40 later at the local meineke it was repaired and back on the car. I apparently didnt tighten the manifold gasket down enough because that leaked enough to blow out all the material besides the steel...So time to order another one of those.

My dad helped test the AC system. we filled the system with nitrogen and tried to get the compressor to kick on and it didnt engage. The drier is rusted to hell, so I plan on replacing that. Is the pressure switch a known failure point? I'm not sure what else to check.
                        325IX Build Thread
                        RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Finally! A leak free exhaust! For those running ebay headers, I found that using copper RTV on both sides of the gasket helps seal it up nicely. So far I have a whopping 2 days on it, but it is still leak free.

In the mail came a new rear flex disk, and a replacement drier. Still need to find the cracked fuel line....I can smell the vapor after driving the car....but I see no visible leaks unless the tank is topped off. Only then does it leak, and I cant see where its originating from.
                          325IX Build Thread
                          RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Got a weird issue that happened over the weekend. Car drove 2 hours to our destination and about 5 miles from arriving, RPM gauge would die, and the CEL would come on. Total power loss....It would flicker on and off...and then be fine for a few minutes...then come back...and do it again. Signs are pointing towards main relay? Any other ideas?
                            325IX Build Thread
                            RX7 Build Thread

Comment

I'm having some of those same issues. Tach doesn't really work and cel comes on and off.

Comment

main relay or a bad ground? maybe fuel pump
                                We're in deep now boys
                                1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
                                1988 340iL - Track car
                                My M60 V8 swap thread here
                                [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Working...
                                X