M30B35 air conditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the fan I used: Spal 30102048 16" Curved Blade Pusher Fan

So far no overheating with AC on and traffic. However, it hasn't been that hot here yet. Temps will rise quick in traffic, but as soon as the temp switch is triggered, it drops right back down.
    1986 325e Pearl White on Grey Houndstooth 24x,xxx miles M30b35 Swapped
    2002 525i Jet Black on Sand Beige 13x,xxx miles
    "This 2.5 liter inline six cylinder is smoother than my silk Versace underwear." -Vehicle Virgins

Comment

Today I attempted refilling my A/C system with R12. The results were less than satisfactory.
      I pumped 3 12oz cans of R12 into my system after pulling a vacuum for over an hour.
      My vent temps only reached 96 degree Fahrenheit.
      Before with the R134a I was achieving 56 degree air temp at the vents in 90 degree sunny weather.
      This huge temperature difference is due solely to the refrigerant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Alright so I think I figured it out.
        I replaced my expansion valve when I was replacing all the A/C components. I could only get a R134a valve as the R12 valves are no longer available. Now I had read somewhere that you can run R12 with a 134a expansion valve, but after trying it I no longer believe this to be true.
        I was pretty upset the R12 didn’t work out for me as I had originally thought. I had always read that it was the shit from other threads online. Who knows if the refrigerant I had bought on eBay was even really R12.
        So I ended up sucking out the R12 and refilled the system with R134a again. 28 ounces to be exact, i serviced the system with 6oz of Ester oil when I originally put it together so I was still good on oil.
        The system performed exactly as it had before. Mid 50’s vent temps with an ambient outside temp of 90, I guess this is as good as it gets.
        I should also mention that I replaced my spal 14” 1000cfm fan for a 16” 2000cfm fan.

This made a really big difference sitting at traffic lights, and now my engine temp barely goes above half after 40 minutes of idling.

After reading almost all the A/C threads on r3v I really thought I could achieve mid 40s to high 30s vent temps with my A/C.

Comment

That's odd that you were getting such high temps with the R12. I'm running R12 and mine gets plenty cold.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
            That's odd that you were getting such high temps with the R12. I'm running R12 and mine gets plenty cold.
            he mentioned switching to r134. Idk how much of a difference it would make but I'm certainly curious.
            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

How is that reman compressor you bought? Mine is on its way out and I'm wondering if that one is a good replacement.
              1986 325e Pearl White on Grey Houndstooth 24x,xxx miles M30b35 Swapped
              2002 525i Jet Black on Sand Beige 13x,xxx miles
              "This 2.5 liter inline six cylinder is smoother than my silk Versace underwear." -Vehicle Virgins

Comment

Originally posted by jdance30 View Post
                How is that reman compressor you bought? Mine is on its way out and I'm wondering if that one is a good replacement.
                Yeah, so far no problem after over 2k miles. Just make sure you contact the seller to find out if the compressor is filled with oil or dry.
                I'll have another update shortly. I found some problems with my system, and have been fixing them. So hopefully a little better performance from the A/C.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I finally got my A/C to perform at an acceptable level. First my low and high pressure Schrader valves were leaking. You could see a bubble released every few seconds.

I ended up dumping the system to replace both valves. After I changed the valves a friend had informed me that he had a tool for changing these valves that didn't require de pressurizing the system.
                  This leak never showed up on my vacuum test because the valves are open when the gauges are hooked up.

So after vacuuming down the system again and recharging it with 24oz of R134a the A/C was back to being ok. I could never get the vent temps below 56 degrees even at night time.

Then the bearings on the blower fan started to growl and squeak pretty loud. After checking on Ebay it had occurred to me that a Z3 used the same fan as a e30. This was great because I had just ripped a LSD out of a Z3 at a yard near me earlier this week. So I went back and pulled the blower from the Z3.
                  Here are the 2 next to each other.

And installed

A 2000 and earlier z3 fan is identical to a e30. The one I had was from a 2001 so it wasn't exactly the same as the e30, but it was close enough to make it fit.
                  While I was messing with the fan I noticed that both of my recirculation flaps were wide open. The servo was working but the linkages were broken off from the flaps. This entire time my A/C had been sucking in hot outside air. That explains my mediocre A/C performance.

I then secured the doors closed in a way I wish not to go into detail.(duct tape)
                  WOW what a difference the recirc made.

This was at 93 degrees ambient and 80 percent humidity.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by st.petebiodiesel View Post
                      Got the 535i radiator in the mail today. Pretty quick considering I ordered it only 28 hours ago on eBay! Check out eBay store partscontainer, they ship everything out super fast. (I’m not being compensated to say this)

Check out the thickness difference.

Even the sides are thinner, but not by much.

Well I placed the radiator in the car and it didn’t fit. Stupid tab for the fan shroud was hitting the A/C compressor clutch.

Fixed.

Radiator slid in no problem. I was hoping to gain a little more clearance with this radiator.

Little less than a 1/4 inch of clearance between the A/C compressor clutch. I don’t think I could even get the belt in there if I had to without removing the radiator.
                      Might try a few other things to gain some more clearance.

this is helpful, I have a new 325i rad I wanted to use for my M30 swap but it doesnt really seem like its going to work if I want to run AC
                      85% of the time i have no idea what I'm doing

Comment

Working...
                      X