Adding struts to top cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding struts to top cover

I have a 91 325i that was converted to a manual top by the PO. Id like to add the struts to help with keeping the top cover open but noticed that I only have the mounts on the hinges. Is there an additional bracket needed for the lower mount?

How does one install these struts on a newer model?

You will need to weld a pin to the hinge bracket. Manual cars had two tonneau lid struts
    Look for some pics in the last few pages of my very build thread.. you’ll see some that show the struts
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Great, Thanks!

Thats exactly what I was looking for. Gorgeous car BTW. I'm doing something similar with my 91 325iC.

Comment

pics and part numbers in this thread
        sigpic
        January 2012 COTM

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
          You will need to weld a pin to the hinge bracket. Manual cars had two tonneau lid struts
          Look for some pics in the last few pages of my very build thread.. you’ll see some that show the struts

I bought the lower brackets new, but I didn't know that the hinges for the automatic top tonneau lid do not have the pin to attach the top side of the strut (never checked).
          sigpic
          January 2012 COTM

Comment

Originally posted by robrez View Post
            https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...hinge+brackets

pics and part numbers in this thread
            Great thread Rob thx for pointing it out

Seems like you could find or have machined a threaded pin that could be added to the electric top cover without welding. It wouldn’t be cheap though, and to go to that trouble you might as well tack weld it in place

I’ll take a look at my replacement electric tonneau cover when I get a chance

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Check out this option:

I chose adding bracket. Easy and cheap

Comment

Originally posted by robrez View Post
                I bought the lower brackets new, but I didn't know that the hinges for the automatic top tonneau lid do not have the pin to attach the top side of the strut (never checked).

Mine does have the upper pins. It's a 7/91 production cabrio that originally came with the auto (EM) top.

Cory
                1992 325i Cabrio
                1988 320i Touring
                2000 M5
                1977 530i
                2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                BMWCCA
                E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
                  Mine does have the upper pins. It's a 7/91 production cabrio that originally came with the auto (EM) top.

Cory

Thanks, honestly it never occurred for me to check when I was collecting parts for my swap. I have my vert under a car cover now (too darn hot to drive) so I haven't been able to check. Hopefully, my latches have the upper pins. If not, I might just have to buy a cover with hinges, so I'll have an excuse to remove the vinyl and color match the paint.

Edit, It looks like the hinges are welded on the car-side ugh!
                  Last edited by robrez; 07-10-2018, 04:32 PM.
                  sigpic
                  January 2012 COTM

Comment

Yes the top lid hinges are part of the car body, not the lid. The top lid struts are attached to pins on the center facing side of each hinge.

I know the face lifted 318i verts had manual tops.. so they probably have the strut pins - at least on one of the hinges.

I’ll post up pics of the hinges and pins for both electric and manual top cars when I get a chance.

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                      I’ll post up pics of the hinges and pins for both electric and manual top cars when I get a chance.

The thread @robrez posted already has great pics of the upper and lower hinge pins. The 3 electric top cars I’ve seen in detail have the upper pins. That doesn’t mean they all do of course.

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Working...
                      X