2 fuel pumps? why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 fuel pumps? why?

I just got spark and fuel to my 325e 1985 when my fuel stopped after a couple mins of messing around with it. looked under the seat to find a small fuel pump. I thought this was weird for how small it was so i did a little research and turns out I have 2 fuel pumps. The one under the seat is a sort of primer pump for the main fuel pump which lies near the rear wheel. Now in my case, I have car that probably should have been scrapped honestly but I couldn't do it so I put an m50 in er and want a good fuel system now. How can i get a good fuel system for this? I have a gas tank that has old gas and what looks to be paint chips floating all over in the gas tank and on top of this I have 1 or 2 broken fuel pumps? I don't really know how they broke but i tested the primer fuel pump and i had no luck getting anything to pump or even move. Is there a reason I shouldn't just make a quick aluminum box for fuel and put an external fuel pump on it? what psi and flow rate do I need for a nonvanos m50 engine

thanks! sorry for so many questions but Im really pumped to get this car rippin

Originally posted by Justbergy View Post
    turns out I have 2 fuel pumps.....
    I have a gas tank that has old gas and what looks to be paint chips floating all over in the gas tank
    Yes, we have 2 fuel pumps, one in the tank, low pressure lift pump, and one external high pressure pump. First, drain the tank! Some have a drain plug others a cross over pipe between both sides. The next question, is the crap in the tank rust or debris from old gas? Debris can be cleaned out. If its rust, either get a good used tank or have the one you have professional cleaned and sealed.

There are write ups to convert the system to a single pump. But that all depends on a clean gas tank. So you need to start there.

Once you know the tank is clean, its probably a good idea to either replace the pumps or convert to a single. Then blow out the fuel lines and replace the fuel filter.

From a safety standpoint, be careful installing a separate "quick aluminum box " to use as a fuel tank.
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Great advice. Thanks man. Will look into the conversion to a single pump

Comment

88- 91's have a single hp pump in the tank.

Find the entire sender arrangement from one, and it's
        pretty easy to swap. It will be adequate for your m52.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
        X