right and left half shafts different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

right and left half shafts different?

Hey guys, like the title says are the half shafts different on each side? I fear I might have mixed them up at this point since I wasn't thinking about which side was which when I struggled to remove them today...I am considering getting new half shafts at this point since a) both cv boots are torn and leaking a ton on inner and outer joints, and b) I had to beat the shit out of each shaft to remove them...

I have seen a few sites that only listed a right or a left, so I am trying o figure out eh best way to go here...

They are the same, not side specific.

Next time use a 2/3 arm puller on the hub, that way you wont need to beat the half shafts.

Also purchase a axle puller to reinstall the shafts:

It is not always justifiable to spend the money on a specialty tool, however in the case of rear axles a little investment goes a long way. The problem with many german cars and particularly E30's is that the tolerance between the hub splines and the axles splines is VERY small causing a VERY
    Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

^ my axles broke my 2 jaw puller so I got on them with a pick and sledge with a few good hits and it worked fine. Getting them back in was easy as well - just line it in and get it started by hand then hammer them in with a block of wood on the back side. I was expecting it to be crazy but it wasn't bad

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
        They are the same, not side specific.

Next time use a 2/3 arm puller on the hub, that way you wont need to beat the half shafts.

Also purchase a axle puller to reinstall the shafts:

http://www.rtsauto.com/re-installing...w-porsche-etc/
        Awesome, thanks for clarifying for me. I searched and searched but couldn't get an answer.

Also, I had a puller...It became a single use tool after this job...
        Last edited by haaken675; 08-09-2018, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
          ^ my axles broke my 2 jaw puller so I got on them with a pick and sledge with a few good hits and it worked fine.
          Originally posted by haaken675 View Post
          Awesome, thanks for clarifying for me. I searched and searched but couldn't get an answer.

Also, I had a puller...It became a single use tool after this job...
          You guys are funny, sounds like you guys need to invest in some better pullers.

2/3 jaw pullers are like ratchets they come in different sizes and strengths; you wouldn't use a 1/4 drive with a 30mm socket.

To be fair, it is fairly atypical to need something heavy duty for the rear half shafts. But when life gives you lemons...

Its always better to use a puller versus trying to beat them out, especially if they are that stuck. Reason being, a puller is pushing the axle relative to the hub, without any other forces being transferred elsewhere.

With a punch, your putting a lot of force into the trailing arm assembly. Hit it hard enough, and the arm will bend; subsequently changing your alignment.

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
          Getting them back in was easy as well - just line it in and get it started by hand then hammer them in with a block of wood on the back side. I was expecting it to be crazy but it wasn't bad
          This is all relative to how worn your hub and axle splines are. Some you can basically push them in by hand (very worn), some require light tapping (worn), and it escalates from there.

Most axles and hubs that are in good shape will be a very tight fit where even grease will make it bind up.

For god sakes, whatever you do, don't try "cleaning" up the spline burs by mechanical means.

Spend the $15 bucks, and get the right tool for the right job.
          Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Comment

lets put it this way, I bought the right tool and it wasn't up to the task...I even soaked the splines in PB blaster for over a week. They were frozen in place, his happens some times...

Comment

lets put it this way, I bought the right tool and it wasn't up to the task...I even soaked the splines in PB blaster for over a week. They were frozen in place, his happens some times...
              Brand and size of puller? Hydraulic? Mechanical? Where did it fail?

Comment

Used the same OTC puller recommended in the link you posted and all of the threads stripped due to the amount of force needed unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if my car got flooded at some point as this wasn't even the worse component stuck together thus far (subframe bushings aluminum sleeves were bonded to the chassis)

Comment

Used the same OTC puller recommended in the link you posted and all of the threads stripped due to the amount of force needed unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if my car got flooded at some point as this wasn't even the worse component stuck together thus far (subframe bushings aluminum sleeves were bonded to the chassis)
                  The link was for pulling the axles back in.

I assume you used something similar to this for pushing it out?

This bad boy (posi lock 110, 20 ton) could make lemonade out of any kind of lemons you got:

Almost certainly no need to go that serious, but you get the idea; the tools exist for these sorts of situations.

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
                    The link was for pulling the axles back in.

I assume you used something similar to this for pushing it out?

This bad boy (posi lock 110, 20 ton) could make lemonade out of any kind of lemons you got:

Almost certainly no need to go that serious, but you get the idea; the tools exist for these sorts of situations.

I hope to never encounter anything so severe again that I need one of those!

Comment

Working...
                    X