Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help.

So, I hate to post this here and get so much attention, but I'm really up shit creek without a paddle. So here goes.

I bought my first E30 two years ago, from a friend of a friend in NH. Really awesome car. Tuned by Turner Motorsport, great condition, perfect daily driver. I babied it, and took really good care of it, and it got hit and totalled by a drunk driver while I was driving home one Sunday morning last April. Really shitty situation. After fighting insurance tooth and nail for two months, and getting a decent settlement, I got about $5k back, and bought another E30, this one a vert, from a guy in Richmond, another customer of Bimmer Rescue. Another great car.

Fast forward four months, and my older brother totals it on his way to a doctor's appointment, because his 4runner was in the shop for an electrical issue. After fighting another month (I really streamlined the process this time) I got $5700 from insurance, and went to buy another E30, from a guy in Bel Air, MD this one a 2.7 stroker, that wasn't quite running, but had been his daily for the past five months. Stupidly, I gave him my payment, $6500, before getting the car inspected yet again, but thought since he paid to ship it to me, I would give it to him in good faith. I thought it would be okay because it had a MD inspection withstanding, and his ad stated that the car was already modified and running. That is not so. Now it needs at least $3900 or so just to be road worthy enough to pass inspection. Furthermore, his ad to which I originally responded to stated that the car was already modified, and running. I don't have the money to fix everything that really needs fixing, about $5500, nor do I have the money to fix it just enough to get it to pass inspection.

Does anyone, anyone at all, have some useful advice? I now have three E30s, none of them driveable, and shit to show for it, except debt and heartache.

Is there a reason to not just use parts from the first 2 cars to make the 3rd one driveable?
    What it feels like owning an e30:

88 325 S50 swap in progress
    90 325ix

Comment

But I don't have the expertise to do it all myself. I really need some help, and have no idea what to do. If anyone can help me get these parts into the third car, I'd give them anything off of the two wrecks, to include the whole cars, possibly hartge headers and valve covers.
      Last edited by '87TurnerMS325iS; 01-03-2014, 05:30 PM.

Comment

The list of parts that need to be swapped over are as follows:

1. Motronic 1.3 harness with C101 connector (white 4 pin connector in glovebox)
        2. Injectors (you may want 535i injectors)
        3. Idle control valve
        4. Throttle position sensor
        5. Reference sensor
        6. All coolant hoses and heater hoses (you may elect for me to source new ones depending on condition)
        7. Spark plug wire set
        8. O2 sensor
        9. Intake manifold
        10. Throttle body
        11. Brake booster line
        12. Subframe bushings
        13. Control arm bushings
        14. Wheel bearings
        15. Windshield
        16. Steering rack boots/ steering rack
        17. Heater core
        18. CV axles and boots
        19. Brake Caliper cap
        20. Fuel Filter
        21. Tires

Comment

Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm very new to working on cars, but I've picked up a thing or two just searching the forums. If you need help swapping items over to your car let me know. I'm currently in Warrenton, but I'll be in Norfolk after the 13th. So richmond isn't to far away from me to help. Also I plan to make a trip to pick a part sometime soon if you want me to look for anything while I'm there.

-Stone
          My Garage
          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

lesson learned i guess...dont worry mate e30's are easy to work on heres what you do, read other members builds, projects or whatever they are a wealth of information and guide you through almost anything. next those two cars that are totaled strip 'em of every good part buy some good tools and go at it, you will learn where things go and dont, post everything you do on a thread on rv3, ask questions and members will help you with what ever you need.
            good luck
            s
            sigpic
            89 325i 4 door - current project
            88 325 V8;D - next project

my 325 build
            M20B27i FORSALE maimi fl

Comment

I really sympathize with your misfortunes. I got burned on a car a couple months ago.

The real question is, what does the new car need to pass VA safety inspection, what were you flunked for?

Then, what does it need to run well? Is this one of those homebrew eta/i piece of shits?

Then what do you want to change for performance.

I'd be willing to come help out on a weekend. I'm not really in RVA any longer, but I'll be around this weekend and on occasion in the future. What is your situation in terms of space and tools?
              --Will

Comment

I'm actually working with Patrick at Bimmer Rescue to pull all the parts from my wreck to put in the e body. Thanks for the help and thought fellas.

Comment

Best wishes, keep us updated

Comment

Originally posted by '87TurnerMS325iS View Post
                    I'm actually working with Patrick at Bimmer Rescue to pull all the parts from my wreck to put in the e body. Thanks for the help and thought fellas.
                    Just seeing this now. That would have been my recommendation. Glad he's willing & able to help you out!

Comment

Working...
                    X