Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this red thing on my center console?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this red thing on my center console?

Looks almost like a red lightbulb or something, but as far as I can tell doesn't light up.

Anyone have one of these on their car? Is it a security light or related to an original carphone? Can I remove it out without breaking something? I haven't pulled my dash apart to see, but should have checked when I was installing my stereo.

sigpic

Likely goes to an aftermarket alarm that someone installed. Only way to tell is to dig in!

Comment

what andrew said.. You can remove it and put a blank in if you don't currently use any type of alarm.
      FS: Plug n Play Second Trunk Light !
      My Parts for Sale Thread~

x 1984 325e 2.7i ~ CastroMotorsport Built x Daily Driven

Comment

Awesome - so not OEM - will pull apart and check it out.
        sigpic

Comment

That could be for a dealer-installed Clifford alarm. My sister's old iX had one.
          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

I had one back in the early 90's on a 325e.
            It just blinks when the car is off.
            Faux burglar alarm
            “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
            Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Aftermarket alarm. Was tied to the Viper system in my car before I pulled it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a chance to look at things this weekend. There is a disconnected alarm loudspeaker under the hood that has some wires going to the drivers side of the car. I am a little worried about starting to just tear things out because I do not want to screw up other systems in the car. Where do aftermarket alarms typically draw power? Are they connected to the ignition in the steering column?
                sigpic

Comment

Usually they get mounted under the knee bolster on the driver side. It should be pretty easy to tell what is aftermarket and what is stock wiring. Cut out anything that isn't stock and reattach anything that looks stock that was cut.

Comment

what kind of radio is that? nice stock like colors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                    X