DAE unsprung hub clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DAE unsprung hub clutch?

So I ran an unsprung hub stock sachs 240mm clutch meant for a dual mass flywheel behind an 8.5lb UUC flywheel and thought nothing of it for about 2 years on my s52 swap. Then I snapped all 3 bolts in the guibo on my driveshaft and parked the car for 5 years. (Just had to do a quick GC coils install, be done in a weekend right?) That brings us to last week when I finally got around to putting the beast back together and I started thinking. How the fuck did I snap all my driveshaft bolts? I had thought it was because I deleted the front harmonic balancer on my driveshaft and the bolts vibrated loose but now I wonder if the unsprung clutch hub may have played a part.

Does anybody else run an unsprung hub clutch with their swap especially a 240mm one with a light as fuck flywheel?

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Originally posted by Adrian_Visser View Post
    So I ran an unsprung hub stock sachs 240mm clutch meant for a dual mass flywheel behind an 8.5lb UUC flywheel and thought nothing of it for about 2 years on my s52 swap. Then I snapped all 3 bolts in the guibo on my driveshaft and parked the car for 5 years. (Just had to do a quick GC coils install, be done in a weekend right?) That brings us to last week when I finally got around to putting the beast back together and I started thinking. How the fuck did I snap all my driveshaft bolts? I had thought it was because I deleted the front harmonic balancer on my driveshaft and the bolts vibrated loose but now I wonder if the unsprung clutch hub may have played a part.

Does anybody else run an unsprung hub clutch with their swap especially a 240mm one with a light as fuck flywheel?
    No problems. The unsprung clutch disk doesn't cause that. The bolts must have been loose.

Comment

Thanks, just wondered if anyone else had bad experiences using it.

Comment

You using the factory BMW guibo not some revshift solid one?

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak View Post
          You using the factory BMW guibo not some revshift solid one?
          Yup stock rubber, more cushion for pushin'.

Comment

They probably came loose on their own and sheered. Did you replace the lock nuts the last time you had everything apart? They are technically one time use and should be replaced every time. The more you use them, the less locking they have.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
              They probably came loose on their own and sheered. Did you replace the lock nuts the last time you had everything apart? They are technically one time use and should be replaced every time. The more you use them, the less locking they have.
              I did not, they did have some self locking left so I risked it. Probably led to the demise. I'll be ordering new ones and probably using some loc-tite on them for good measure.

I also deleted the torsional damper/ harmonic balancer on the front of the driveshaft to fit the SSK, so there's yet another possible contributor to the problem. I still don't know why some cars came with them and some did not even in the same production year and model.

Looking at the parts diagrams the driveshaft without a torsional vibration damper on it has wave washers under the head of the bolts, I also did not have these. So there's 3 different possible sources of the problem.

Comment

Working...
              X