What does the shifter arm even do??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does the shifter arm even do??

Hey folks haha, I am doing an m50 swap and also a manual swap using an old getrag 260 I got for pennies. I know its not the best combo but that is what I got lol. I was wondering what this transmission even does? it looks like it just holds the shifter in place during bumps or motor movements? I was planning on just making my own and not spending 80-120 bucks on one. I have a cnc machine so why not right? The question I need answered is.. is there any reason I need to really be precise on this component while making it? if i just get the lengths right and use hockey pucks or something as the mounts will that suffice? the shifting arm is in the link below...

Thanks!

Justin

https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+...RYRmVKrEuxhyM:

Last edited by Justbergy; 07-23-2018, 01:40 PM.

No pic/link that I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      No pic/link that I can see.
      Think I put it on now.

Comment

It's the pivot point for the shift lever.
        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Funny search terms "bmw e30 shifter arm cheap."

I'd wager that you can get a used one shipped to you for less than $30.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
            Funny search terms "bmw e30 shifter arm cheap."

I'd wager that you can get a used one shipped to you for less than $30.
            Paleeeease find me one haha.

Comment

If you have the shifter plate instead from some of the older models you can cut it up and mount it to the trans tunnel from the inside. You will have to experiment with shifter rod lengths but it makes for a really firm shifter cup with no play.
              sigpic

Comment

errr... yes, you could make one, but that's the sort of thing you might find
                (with the part number) on places like ePay for less than the material to make it would cost.
                edit- wow, maybe not- I just blew 15 minutes and didn't find one for under $150.
                Huh.

There are a few critical dimensions, but then, you could also put the shift
                lever exactly where YOU like it...

t
                races with a $19.95 ePay short shifter...
                Last edited by TobyB; 07-24-2018, 03:52 PM.
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Haha. Great responses. And yeah I think I'm gonna make my own. I'm alittle curious on what one of the previous posts said about mounting a shifter plate to the trans rubbed. But really sure what that is but might investigate a bit

Comment

Originally posted by Justbergy View Post
                    Haha. Great responses. And yeah I think I'm gonna make my own. I'm alittle curious on what one of the previous posts said about mounting a shifter plate to the trans rubbed. But really sure what that is but might investigate a bit
                    sigpic

Comment

Create an account on Row52.com and have someone pull one and ship it to you. I did this for a hard to find fuel rail for my S52 swap and got the part within a week.

Comment

Working...
                      X