Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install a killer stereo for $500 (loads of pics)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need...to...get...luke box!

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
    Originally posted by scabzzzz
    I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
    1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
    2002 325i - DD
    2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic49 View Post
      i was asking for a simple response. from a newbs perspective it would be best to explain why you choose to do things a certain way vs telling them this is the way.

if you have a problem with that whatever but getting all defensive and blasting me is no way to get things done.

p.s.

I prefer ferrules with terminal blocks but thats just me
      Sorry about that. I did explain the answer to you...but then failed to put in some form of disclaimer about the solder fans, so it seemed like I was blasting you...sorry.

Basically, the electrical tape is only to control wires. You can use wire ties, but I prefer this tape to wire ties. If you have not used this particular tape, try it. It is nearly $5 a roll and worth every penny.

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Since this is supposed to be a thread for noobs, could you explain why solder in a car is stupid?

Feel free to delete this post if you don't like it.

Ps: not trying to start an argument, just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
          Since this is supposed to be a thread for noobs, could you explain why solder in a car is stupid?

Feel free to delete this post if you don't like it.

Ps: not trying to start an argument, just curious.
          How about we say that there has been much discussion on this subject and we can all talk about it elsewhere.

I always share my opinion on the subject, as do many other well-respected members of this community. I just don't want to see this thread get all cluttered with that particular subject.

This is a tutorial written by a guy who has been a professional car stereo installer for over 30 years trying to show others how he does it, not a debate of how to connect wires together.

Sorry if that comes across as egotistical or self-serving. That is not my goal here. However, plain and simple...I will not let that discussion happen in this thread.

This thread is intended to help, give people hope that they can install a stereo in their car...but we seem to have some people here who just can't leave it at that, thus my attitude.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
            Yeah, so get the FUCK off his lawn.

And stay out of his Roses (with that soldering iron)!

Great write-up!
            sigpic
            Originally posted by JinormusJ
            Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
            1989 325is Raged on then sold.
            1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
            1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
            1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

What is this, "trunk tar" you speak of?

Good write-up so far! Hopefully this January I'll be able to throw a write-up for non-premium speakers, or non-stock speakers.
              Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

tar is not there on your 318is^

Comment

Originally posted by Threehz View Post
                  What is this, "trunk tar" you speak of?

Good write-up so far! Hopefully this January I'll be able to throw a write-up for non-premium speakers, or non-stock speakers.
                  Ugh. Trunk tar is the heavy weight ballast found in all 6 cylinder RWD E30s that have a roof and a rear battery. The intent of the ballast is to achieve proper weight distribution.

That whole discussion technically is not part of this thread, but if you have a 6 cylinder E30 made after 10/87, your car came with a thick nasty layer of evil goo that is horribly stuck to the floor of your trunk. To fit one of my subwoofer boxes, this MUST come out. I have had them literally peel up with zero effort, while others I have fought for hours.

There have been many discussions of how to remove it, but generally it boils down to 2 techniques: freeze it or heat it. I generally heat it using halogen work lamps, I mostly just heat and scrape. I use a big 2" wide chisel to scrape it off. I bitch and moan the entire time as I find that helps...but I have done both.

If you get about 20 pounds of dry ice, shatter it into a zillion bits, spread it evenly over the entire area and lay a couple of towels over that, wait 20 minutes and gently whack it with a hammer, it shatters into little chunks and can be scooped out. Very messy but also very easy.

Dry ice is just not that easy to find, and it is not worth the $25 to me each and every time I do it, but I do prefer the "freeze" technique. It is WAY easier IMO.

Closing SOON!

Comment

awesome walk-through so far, I wanted to get a decent system for my iX since it's already heavy as shit... and has that SHIT popular-as-fuck sony deck in there now.

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

is this any good? only $18 bux

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                      ---------------------------------
                      89 E30 S52
                      ---------------------------------
                      Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Yeah, that is just fine

Closing SOON!

Comment

Great write up so far.

Not a big fan of drywall screws though, threw them all out at my shop.

Comment

Originally posted by dwvw View Post
                            Great write up so far.

Not a big fan of drywall screws though, threw them all out at my shop.
                            Why? They are so universal and due to their coating, are generally rust proof. Easy to use to as the sharp point starts nicely without having to pre-drill a hole.

Luke, write-up is looking good.

Why do you use a zip-tie on the sub wire inside the box instead of just tying a knot? Just curious as you seem apposed to zip ties everywhere else.

Comment

i tied mine in a know, used a glob of silicone and then a zip tie on top to hold it in place.

why is this not a sticky yet luke?

Originally posted by nwvb bmw
                              That guy is going to lock you in his basement and make you ware a little pirate costume.

Comment

Luke, THANK YOU! I was literally getting ready to PM you about a recommendation for an e30 setup...for right around $500!

This is great, and I'm really looking forward to the rest of this thread.

Thanks again!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X